My new Daisy AVANTI 747 Triumph comes tomorrow... - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-24-2017, 07:37 AM
desmobob
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My new Daisy AVANTI 747 Triumph comes tomorrow...

... tell me everything I need to know to really enjoy this new pistol!

Thanks for any info and tips,
Bob
Old 01-24-2017, 04:48 PM
JJRR
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Use good pellets and keep the seals oiled according to the manual and shoot it. My 747 is about two years old and has been trouble free and it is very accurate pistol. Good shooting.
Old 01-30-2017, 05:58 PM
desmobob

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I sure am enjoying this pistol.

When I opened the package I was a bit disappointed... the pistol looks like a department store BB-gun. It has "Daisy Powerline 747" molded into the side of the cast frame and I almost thought the dealer had shipped me the wrong item.

The plastic bolt was sticky/catchy and not easy to operate and I struggled to load pellets into the breech.

But after I started shooting it, I started loving it. With the pistol, I ordered a couple of plastic boxes of 500 Crossman Premier Wadcutters (7.4gr.). I also picked out an assortment of higher-end field and match pellets for accuracy testing. Well... I haven't even opened any of the good stuff yet; the Crossman pellets are keeping me happy.

I've learned to point the muzzle down and drop the pellets into the breech rather than trying to place them in with my fingers. The plastic bolt is smoothing out a bit now that I have almost 500 shots fired and I have become used to its quirks and operate it easily now.

I bought a Sun Optics USA Airgun Scope Izh 46 Barrel Mount and put a cheap Fieldsport mini red dot on top as my older eyes are having a tough time with iron sights these days. From my living room chair to the end of my hallway happens to be 33 feet. From my front steps to the opposite side of my driveway happens to be... 11 yards!

I got the red dot zeroed and the pistol is very accurate... accurate enough to make me shake my head. I've never messed with a quality airgun before. I have a cheap Chinese break-barrel springer that shoots groups like a shotgun and a couple of old Daisy BB guns. This Daisy 747 is most certainly in a whole different league!

I would not hesitate to recommend this pistol to anyone looking for inexpensive indoor pistol practice, or an inexpensive introduction to match air pistol shooting. Too bad it doesn't have the looks to go along with its performance. But on the other hand, it's kind of a "sleeper" like an old 1966 426ci hemi-powered Belvedere. Under its meek exterior, some serious performance is hiding!

Tight groups,
Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2017, 06:22 PM
timberbeast
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (39)
Bob, my son got one for 4H competitions, and he had so much fun I bought one and we shot matches against each other on cold days in our garage when he was in high school. Physically he had the advantage, but mentally and technique-wise I had an edge, it made for really fun afternoons and now great memories.

When he comes home, we go shooting as much as possible, but his life is a busy as mine now. Enjoy the children while you have 'em.

And mostly, enjoy that accurate 747 for a good long time. You can't shoot fast, but you can shoot 10m targets very accurately.
Old 01-30-2017, 06:45 PM
desmobob

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberbeast View Post
Bob, my son got one for 4H competitions, and he had so much fun I bought one and we shot matches against each other on cold days in our garage when he was in high school. Physically he had the advantage, but mentally and technique-wise I had an edge, it made for really fun afternoons and now great memories.

When he comes home, we go shooting as much as possible, but his life is a busy as mine now. Enjoy the children while you have 'em.

And mostly, enjoy that accurate 747 for a good long time. You can't shoot fast, but you can shoot 10m targets very accurately.

Thanks very much. I'm glad to hear your 747 brings back fond memories of shooting with your son... that's a wonderful thing.

This little pistol got me so interested in airguns, I just ordered an air rifle; the famous Air Arms TX200 MkIII. Unlike the Daisy 747 pistol, this Air Arms rifle has the good looks to go along with the performance (and I got the optional Walnut stock version, so it should be extra-pretty!). The darn thing cost as much as a "real" rifle and I hope I enjoy it as much as I do the 747 pistol.

The 747 opened my eyes to the possibilities of enjoying shooting at home -- even indoors. I live at the end of a dead-end street on a 5-acre lot backed by woods, so I'll be able to shoot the new air rifle at home without bothering the neighbors.

It's nice to be able to plink a little or enjoy serious target shooting without having to load up the car and drive to the range. I'm surprised a LOT more people aren't into airguns.

Tight groups,
Bob
Old 01-30-2017, 07:44 PM
Kestrel4k

TPC Rating: 
100% (13)
Hi Bob,
Happy to hear that you're enjoying that 747.
I did a rather thorough pellet test in my 717, testing 22 different brands/styles; you may find at least some of it of interest:
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=772841

While a 'favored' pellet design won't automatically transfer to another platform, I have been consistently disappointed in the Crosman 7.4gr wadcutters that you mention. They have shot considerably below-average in the ~four airguns I've tested.
I would bet that you can outperform those by testing just a few other inexpensive pellet designs.
Hope this helps,

Last edited by Kestrel4k; 01-30-2017 at 07:50 PM.
Old 01-30-2017, 08:33 PM
mje

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
I shoot RWS Hobby pellets almost universally in my match pistols, including the 777 I just sold. I was advised by an experienced match shooter that until I regularly shot 585s in competition I wouldn't see any difference from better pellets ;-)

The 747 is a very accurate pistol, even with the stock plastic sight.
Old 01-30-2017, 08:57 PM
desmobob

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestrel4k View Post
Hi Bob,
Happy to hear that you're enjoying that 747.
I did a rather thorough pellet test in my 717, testing 22 different brands/styles; you may find at least some of it of interest:
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=772841

While a 'favored' pellet design won't automatically transfer to another platform, I have been consistently disappointed in the Crosman 7.4gr wadcutters that you mention. They have shot considerably below-average in the ~four airguns I've tested.
I would bet that you can outperform those by testing just a few other inexpensive pellet designs.
Hope this helps,
I have already read and noted your test during my searching for any 717/747-related material. I love real-world testing and comparisons. Thanks for taking the time to post your results!

I didn't expect much from those Crosman pellets, but I've read where a few other folks have had excellent accuracy from them. So, I wasn't too surprised when they shot well from my 747. At some point, I'll set up a proper rest so I can more carefully evaluate pellets, but I'm reasonably sure those pellets are shooting with accuracy that is far above what I can manage.

But when I do get around to some serious accuracy testing, I have a small assortment of pellets (and more on the way)...

- RWS Meisterkuglen professional line pistol 7 gr.
- RWS R10 Match premium line pistol 7 gr.
- Gamo Match 7.56gr.
- RWS Superdome field line 8.3gr.
- Crosman Premier Super Match 7.4gr.

Tight groups,
Bob
Old 01-30-2017, 09:13 PM
mje

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
As the Daisy is relatively low powered as air pistols go, you'll have better results with lighter pellets having thinner, more easily deformable skirts. It's more than capable of one hole groups at 10 meters with any good match wadcutter, including the inexpensive RWS Hobby pellets I mentioned. Sighting in my various 7x7 pistols while resting them on a sandbag in my basement "range" i was easily able to put every pellet in the 10 ring with the supplied sights.
Old 02-01-2017, 06:14 PM
desmobob

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mje View Post
As the Daisy is relatively low powered as air pistols go, you'll have better results with lighter pellets having thinner, more easily deformable skirts. It's more than capable of one hole groups at 10 meters with any good match wadcutter, including the inexpensive RWS Hobby pellets I mentioned. Sighting in my various 7x7 pistols while resting them on a sandbag in my basement "range" i was easily able to put every pellet in the 10 ring with the supplied sights.
Thanks for the tip. I'll order some RWS Hobby pellets to add to my stock!

Tight groups,
Bob
Old 02-24-2017, 09:07 PM
gr8guns

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Cleaning the barrel for the first time.

I have a new 747 I received as a gift, and I really need to know how to clean it for the first time so I don't mess it up. Obviously, you can't use a rod....

I am new to the pellet pistol game. Thanks for your help.
Old 02-24-2017, 09:17 PM
mje

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8guns View Post
I have a new 747 I received as a gift, and I really need to know how to clean it for the first time so I don't mess it up. Obviously, you can't use a rod....
Short answer: Don't. There's no powder residue to clean up, no leading, no copper deposits. The only thing going down the barrel is air, a little oil, and a soft lead pellet at a very low velocity. Just keep it well lubed.

If you ever do want to clean it, use a piece of fishing line- around 10-20 lb test- that youve melted a blob onto the end of to pull a felt pellet down the bore. No solvents or firearms cleaners or lubes!