Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-31-2009, 02:44 AM
ShelbyFan

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
My Norinco JW-15

This is going to be my superstock project, I wanted somthing different and good priced so if I screwed it up I would not be to mad at myself.

I bought this at cabela for $70.00. It has never been fired, at least not in a long time as it still had the cosmoline on it. it was missing the magazine.

What I plan on doing to it. Make it into a superstock. Use all factory parts and build off them. Then see how well it shoots. I am going to shoot it with my Bushnell 6-18 in totally stock form, do one mod at a time and see how it improves with each mod, see what the total improvement is, if any.

My upgrades are, fix the trigger, bed the action, moly lube the barrel. May be others.

I picked up an Egyptian mag from hotrod9mm, he also had an R/T scope mount from a CZ that had been incorrectly installed and returned (you can't put a 3/8 rail on an 11 MM mount, even with a hammer).

First up on the fixing. cleaning up the scope rail so a weaver mount will fit.
It may be hard to see, but the Chinese machining is not as good as the BRNO, I can't even get the rail to slide onto it because the corners are slightly bent.

Got it cleaned up and installed.

This is the scope rail I will be installing, it is an R/T mount for the CZ 452. Modified to fit this wonderful machining on this rifle.

Last edited by ShelbyFan; 05-03-2009 at 02:04 AM.
Old 01-31-2009, 07:47 PM
blackwinch
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Just found one myself with a bunch of dust with $90 on it...I put it back and am sure I'll pick it up for less...
I'm planning on a surpressor... and other work...I guess we'll keep each other updated.
Old 01-31-2009, 08:10 PM
Trent
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
That is actually a very nice looking $70 rifle!

I hope it turns into a shooter for ya.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2009, 08:38 PM
Snake45

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via AIM to Snake45
One thing I can suggest is taking the bolt out and soaking it in lacquer thinner or something like that, or blowing it out with a spray like Gumout, brake cleaner, etc. That cosmolene is all through the bolt and it will eventually start to thicken/harden, and when it does you will get misfires. Ask me how I know this. Just clean all that junk out of there and the gun will be 100% reliable.
Old 01-31-2009, 08:44 PM
ShelbyFan

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake45 View Post
One thing I can suggest is taking the bolt out and soaking it in lacquer thinner or something like that, or blowing it out with a spray like Gumout, brake cleaner, etc. That cosmolene is all through the bolt and it will eventually start to thicken/harden, and when it does you will get misfires. Ask me how I know this. Just clean all that junk out of there and the gun will be 100% reliable.
I stripped the bolt as far as I could and soaked it. I could not believe how much was in that thing.

Another thing that is interesting is the bolt will fit and almost work in a 452, but a 452 bolt is just a touch different to work in the norinco, if I was to shave just a hare off the ejector it would slide right on.
Old 01-31-2009, 09:47 PM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (29)
Not surprising if you're aware that it is nothing more than a Chinese copy of the Brno. They seem to shoot pretty well by most accounts and magazines are supposed to be mostly interchangable.

Gerald
Old 01-31-2009, 09:55 PM
Snake45

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My JW-15 doesn't shoot quite as well as my CZ 452, but it shoots pretty darn well for an $85 rifle.
Old 01-31-2009, 10:15 PM
blackwinch

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Just wondering aloud...
Would replacement triggers or sears made for the CZ 452 fit these rifles?
Old 01-31-2009, 10:20 PM
Snake45

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwinch View Post
Just wondering aloud...
Would replacement triggers or sears made for the CZ 452 fit these rifles?
After I successfully performed the simple trigger mod commonly known here for the CZ, I took my JW-15 apart to see about doing the same thing. No such luck! Completely different trigger system--on mine, at least.

The trigger on mine has a fair amount of spongy movement. It's not too heavy--maybe somewhere in the 3-4 pound range--but there's a good deal of the creep. Luckily it's at least smooth creep, not gritty (like the CZ originally was). It feels a bit like a good M1 Garand rifle. I don't mind it that much because I have to shoot triggers like that on several of my guns.
Old 01-31-2009, 10:23 PM
blackwinch

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Not even a chance of using a Brooks Kit?
Old 01-31-2009, 11:50 PM
ShelbyFan

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
I was wondering the same, but as snake said, totally different. But it was copied after the BRNO #2, I think, and not the 452. I do not know how different the triggers are. I do think it will be easy to fix.
Old 02-01-2009, 12:29 PM
Tony Mig
Fire FighterEmergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwinch View Post
Just found one myself with a bunch of dust with $90 on it...I put it back and am sure I'll pick it up for less...
I'm planning on a surpressor... and other work...I guess we'll keep each other updated.
If I'm not mistaken Blackwinch, supressors are not SuperStock Bolt legit. If you plan to shoot that rifle in the SS/B games check the "Rules" thread first to make sure. I could be wrong and I do remember this subject coming up once before because our friends in Great Britain have to use them because of noise laws, and we did not want to exclude them from shooting in the games.

Of course if you thread the barrel there's nothing that says you can't shoot it in the SS/B games with the supressor removed......
Old 02-19-2009, 01:05 AM
270guy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Shelbyfan,
the Brno mags are one of the best things you can do if you one of these. The originals are a very poor copy, and most likely they reason it wasn't with the rifle. I threw mine in the draw. I know the mags are pricey (here in New Zealand anyway), but the frustration that you avoid is worth it.
good luck with your project.
Brendon
Old 05-03-2009, 02:00 AM
ShelbyFan

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
I finally got out and shot it.

25 yards. Two five round groups each type of ammo.

I shot the inside, smaller, target first then the bigger dot. I am not sure why it got bigger the second group, my first guess is that I was shooting at a bigger target and wiggled a bit more, my second guess is the barrel warmed up and changed POI.

Either way, this thing needs bedded.