Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-05-2019, 04:24 PM
GladesGuy
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

OK, I've been using pressure cookers since college days when a roommate's mother, bless her soul, showed up with all her left over dishes and utensils for our kitchen that included an ancient pressure cooker. It had the rocking weight on top that you adjusted the flame to get to a nice steady rocking back and forth. I used that darn thing through many years with only a new gasket installation required. I'd buy the cheapest cut of beef and make either stew or roast with all the veggies added in or various bean/sausage combos. It works well to make fish and chicken too.

I now own a cooktop Fagor and an Instapot. Pretty much just use the Instapot as it is all pre programmable and, unlike the original pot I got from mama will NOT blow up! My son and daughter love the pot roast I make the best and it is very easy to make. If you want to give it a try here is the recipe:

Chop up 2 med. onions, 6 carrots and 4 cloves of garlic and set aside

Heat 4 tbsp of oil in bottom of pot on medium heat till hot.

Brown the garlic in oil till golden

Take a 2-4 lb Beef Roast rinse, roll in flour and brown in the bottom of the pot

Add the onions and carrots to the pot. If you want potatoes, add any small variety such as Red or Yukon Gold which I prefer. DO NOT chop them.

Add 1/2-3/4 cup beef broth to the pot. The best stuff is organic beef bone broth which is available in most stores. This is really important as it makes a big difference in the flavor of the roast. I also add 2 tbsps. of paprika which my kids love but you don't have to if you don't like that. Another variant is to add a cup of tomatoes if you like a tomato based sauce. Salt and pepper to taste.

Seal the pot and bring to high pressure. Once the pot pressurizes cook at high pressure for 50 minutes adding 5 minutes per half pound over 2 lbs. Once the time has elapses set the pot aside and de-pressurize after 10 minutes.

So basically you can have a full meal in less than an hour and a half all in one pot.
Old 09-09-2019, 11:51 AM
JamesHP

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have been wary of pressure cookers ever since I was a kid. My dad was cooking with one and all of a sudden the lid blew off and hit the ceiling. No one was hurt but…

Saw this in the news today. See below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 7EDC57AE-5E72-47A5-9D83-4BF6CD98A84B_1568044302740.jpeg (116.3 KB, 28 views)

Last edited by JamesHP; 09-09-2019 at 12:08 PM.
Old 09-09-2019, 02:52 PM
Test_Engineer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
OUCH!

I don't even know how you'd be able to do that with more modern cookers. Manufacturers added several safety valves to the cooker I have. I think this was possibly mandated by the powers that be after terror attacks used old pressure cookers converted to bombs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2019, 06:27 PM
redmike

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Smile

I am not a good cook. Occasionally, I cook ribs, boiling them, then broiling them. They are tender. My wife bought me an Instapot, and I cooked ribs in it using the same method. It worked well.

I bought my son and daughter an Instapot for Christmas. They use them for many dishes, not just tough meat.

I have not used the Instapot since I made the ribs. I am not an Instapot expert or a good cook, but it seems that there is a much wider variety of meals cooked in the Instapot than the older stove top pressure cooker that my mother used.

Always remember when shooting a Red Ryder, that you might shoot your eye out. Wear a helmet when using a pressure cooker.
Old 09-10-2019, 03:58 PM
Rem504
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have an InstaPot and it has been my experience that it is more trouble than it's worth for everyday cooking needs.