Under Pressure - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-19-2018, 11:11 PM
bucko
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

I use pressure cookers a lot. Manual models, not electric. Came up with one as a child. Used for tenderizing meat only. Boston Butt 30 mins at 10 lbs. Then smoke on pitt for about 10 mins with hickory or just mix with Sweet Baby Rays. Pulled pork, SON! Or take full grown Fox Squirrels leg quarters and back loins and do 10 lbs for about 30 mins. Then coat with seasoned flour and brown in about a quarter inch of HOT oil. 30 to45 seconds to the side. Just to brown. Do I need to go on......
Old 05-19-2018, 11:34 PM
varmit hunter67
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I remember the time when I was maybe 8 years old when my mother somehow
caused the pressure cooker to expel everything in the cooker out the top of the little hole where the top would kind of rattle back and forth letting off a little pressure.

We had roast beef, potatoes, carrots, and other stuff plastered on the ceiling over the stove. I thought it was rather funny, but my mother was obviously not amused.

I have used one when I was in NC. Some of us in the Raleigh Salt Water Sport Fishing Club would go out to Ocracoke and go out on a sport fisherman for a day. We almost always got into the yellow fin tuna. I would put the little pan in the bottom of the pressure cooker, fill with a 1/2 inch of water or so, and a big chunk of yellow fin. I would pressure cook it irrc for about 20 minutes. My wife would turn it into the best tuna salad you ever put in your mouth.

I use a big dutch oven over a low gas flame filled up with potatoes, carrots, celery, maybe some other veggies when we headed out of camp in the wee dark thirty deer hunting. By the time we got back to camp about noon, there would be all sorts of good stew to eat.

VH
Old 05-22-2018, 03:28 AM
Vee3

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wookness View Post
Where they come into their own is w/tougher cuts of meat and some game, like a mature fox squirrel or a mostly grown jack rabbit.
If it can make a jack rabbit tender and taste good, it's a miracle pot, lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2018, 10:03 PM
ken w.
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (50)
Send a message via Yahoo to ken w.
pressure cooker

I have 2 pressure cookers. One is a stove top Fagor 6 or 8 qt. I can cook lamb shanks in 45 minutes. Turkey thigs , beef chuck roast , pork roast in 45 - 60 minutes. You want to season and brown the meat all over before you pressure cook for moister meat. Add 3/4 - 1 cup of beef , chicken stock or water to the pot , put on high and put the top on and lock it down. On my model , when the pressure relief valve starts to hiss , turn the heat down until it just hisses and put the timer on. That's about it. You need to experiment a bit with different cuts of meat as leaner meats tend to be tough in a pressure cooker. Fattier meats seem to be better.

I have an electric Pressure cooker that I got for Christmas. You set the timer for say 45 minutes of cooking time. It wont let the timer start until the cooker is up to the correct cooking pressure. It took 30 minutes the first time I used it. I prefer the stove top cooker over the electric model. I found a few pressure cooker books at Barns & Noble on the bargain shelf for less than $ 10.00. They are fair.
Old 07-31-2018, 10:41 AM
bucko

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vee3 View Post
If it can make a jack rabbit tender and taste good, it's a miracle pot, lol.
I have found one batch of squirrels left in the freezer! It is a rainy day here and you have flung a craving on me. Hold your position and stand by!!
Old 09-23-2018, 07:34 PM
BWstickman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I use my pressure cooker almost every time I cook Squirrels
Old 09-23-2018, 08:02 PM
bucko

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWstickman View Post
I use my pressure cooker almost every time I cook Squirrels
Old 09-23-2018, 08:28 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
@ Test Engineer -- just another reply. I think where pressure cookers shine is taking fairly tough cuts of meat and breaking down all that collagen and connective tissue so that the meat just falls apart. I sometimes "pre treat" stewing meat like that for 40 minutes or so and then finish it on the grill. You get tender, falling off the bone, short ribs that way. But what you loose when you put stew meat in a pressure cooker is that searing/caramelizing that you get when you sear the outside of a piece of meet in your crock pot. The texture of the meat can be a little uniform (fixed by then grilling, but not if you skip that step).

There is also a Cuban version of chicken stew -- ropa vieja (old clothes) -- that requires the chicken to be stewed to a fare-thee-well. Once again, with my vegetarians I have to want to eat it for a couple of meals if I am going to cook a whole pot.

With a stovetop pressure cooker, you can heat the bottom half with the top off and use it to brown your meat; then add your liquid and build up pressure afterwards. The Instant Pot has a similar feature, but you have to first use the "sautee" setting and then switch to meat/stew when you add liquid.

Finally, I don't know whether you got the answer you were looking for when you originally posted the query, but I will say that if you have delicate flavors, your crock pot might be the way to go. Slow cooking at a low temperature is going to be less . . . forceful than cooking at several atmospheres of pressure. Different tools for different jobs, I guess.
Old 11-15-2018, 09:47 PM
ken w.
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (50)
Send a message via Yahoo to ken w.
pressure cooker stew

I made this the other day and it came out really good. I started with a Flank Steak. 2 1/2 -3 pounds or so. I seasoned it with black pepper , sea salt , garlic powder , onion powder and celery seed. I grilled the steak about medium. I let it sit about 1/2 hour and cut into 3/4 - 1" pieces. I added 1 box of beef broth to my stove top pressure cooker , brought to a boil , locked the lid and when it began to hiss , turned the heat to medium and cooked it for about 10 minutes. I added the following :
3 medium carrots sliced.
1 medium cooking onion chopped rough.
3 stalked celery sliced.
2 parsnips sliced.
1 large mushroom chopped rough.

When beef is cooked 10 minutes , run pressure cooked under tap water too cool and take off lid. Add veggies , lock lid and cook for 10 minutes. Cool under tap water , remove lid. Now its time to thicken it. Mix 2 tablespoons corn starch with 1/3 cup water and mix into stew until thickened.

You can add frozen vegetables to the mix as well or add what ever you like.

The meat taste so much better when you grill in first. Grill it on high heat to sear it.

Last edited by ken w.; 11-15-2018 at 09:51 PM.
Old 11-20-2018, 08:04 AM
Lance Boyle
US Marines Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I use the pressure cooker for speed cooking

Get home from work late but want a good well cooked chicken fricasee, presto pressure cooker!

I have three, a 2 quart presto for cooking and a couple all American pressure canners. A 15 quart and a 21. I will speed cook a corned beef brisket once in a while then add the vegetables for a normal cook for a boiled dinner. Definitely do not pressure cook it all at once.

My mom made Hawaiin short ribs in the pressure cooker. Delicious.

Somethings I am happier using a Dutch oven in a slow oven. You get that roasting color and taste that way that the pressure steaming doesn’t normally accomplish.

Always nice to have that slow roasted meal going for several hours then come back from a cold and wet hunt to a delicious hot meal.
Old 12-03-2018, 08:56 AM
Oldeyes
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
As many of you are perhaps well aware, dried beans can be stored away in a sealed air tight environment until they are way past their normal cooking method recovery potential. Old stored away super dried out beans can be a quite serious challenge to prepare. In those cases place the old dried beans in large pot with 3 cups of un-salted water per cup of beans, bring to a rolling boil for a few minutes, turn off the heat, add 1 teaspoon of baking soda per cup of beans, stir to dissolve the baking soda and let stand overnight. The next day drain, fully wash and rinse the beans, and then place the beans back in the pot with water to cover. Then using a low rolling boil method prepare the beans in a traditional manner. If the beans are still tough after an hour's low boil cooking time drain them and place in a pressure cooker with water to just cover, add any desired un-salted bean flavorings and seal the lid. Bring to a full pressure cooking boil and pressure cook in 20 minute increments until the beans are soft and tasty. Use the pressure cooker quick cool method between the cooking cycles to speed up the bean tenderness checking process. To prevent a chemical induced reduction in bean tenderness do not add any salt or tomato sauce until you are totally satisfied with the pressure cooked bean texture. If the old dried beans can be redeemed, this should do the trick.
Old 12-27-2018, 09:09 AM
Andyd
Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (24)
I actually used a pressure cooker to prepare the turkey Gulasch for Christmas, it saves a lot of time and does not require constant attention. I served it with potato dumplings made from scratch, while left overs were eaten with spaetzle, which are much easier and faster too make.

Old 12-27-2018, 12:14 PM
Test_Engineer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That sure looks YUMMY Andy!

I want to learn how to make things like that in my pressure cooker. That was the point of this thread.

For my Christmas dinner, I fell back on my old stand-by slow cooker. I made a huge elk roast on a bed of potatoes, onions, carrots, green beans, and garlic. I stuff a few cloves into the elk and add lemon juice on top before sprinkling with salt, pepper, and a little Cajun seasoning. It was pretty delish too!
Old 12-27-2018, 01:19 PM
Andyd
Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (24)
Test Engineer,

using a pressure cooker is not very hard and if you choose a good model it will last you for a long time, the gasket might need replacement but the valve and springs, as well as the gasket on mine are over 20 years old and still working well. I inherited a very good German made stainless Fissler pot from my mother and usually use it for chicken soups or legume soups.

They really reduce cook time, very much unlike a crock pot, and save on energy. As long as the heat is reduced when the temperature is reached to show that the pressure in sufficient, you need to worry about little. Not about burnt stuff at the bottom, nor evaporated water.

It just saves time and relieves you of some worries.
Old 09-05-2019, 03:36 PM
ps118.8

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
i use a pressure cooker just about every time i cook squirrels. first i shake on some cavenders seasoning (on both side of squirrel pieces) then coat with flour. i then fry them in about 1/4 inch of oil till they are very brown. next, drain on some paper towels and set aside. get your pressure cooker, add about 1 inch of water. look in your kitchen for something you can put in the pressure cooker that will keep the meat OUT OF THE WATER. i use a rectangular aluminum cake pan like the one you buy a small pound cake in. dimensions are something like 6"x4"x4". i poke a few holes in it so it won't hole air. put this little pan open side down in cooker. on top of that place a cheap aluminum pir plate that fits inside your cooker. poke some holes in it as well. put the squirrel pieces in the pie plate and put on the cooker lid. let it build up to required pressure then time it for 30 minutes. the toughest squirrel will be fall off the bone tender and 30 minutes.