Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.
Closed Thread

Old 11-12-2019, 10:07 AM
Mike Clark

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

This AM I was costing out a job. A chemical I use that everybody whines about the price of only cost $103 a pound in aerosol form. Problem is you never get it all out of a 12 oz can.
In another form (non-diluted ) it cost $220 a pound which everyone claims to be the cheaper form. Difference is you are paying for solvents in the aerosol and have more waste but less labor. In one quantity of non diluted form it hits $552.27 a pound.

So yeah it ain't cheap. I guess the whiners have a point.

The cost of some other stuff we use is even worse. But it comes down to how far it goes. Makes mistakes really expensive though between time and material.

Last edited by Mike Clark; 11-12-2019 at 10:19 AM.
Old 11-12-2019, 10:43 AM
Sophia

That Evil Admin Lady
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Quote:
Originally Posted by COW 54 View Post
I need another safe!

I'm right at that cusp -- shed a few or break down and get another safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Clark View Post
Makes mistakes really expensive though between time and material.
Amen.
Old 11-12-2019, 10:51 AM
gewehrfreund
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (38)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Eagles View Post

GF, came home late yesterday. Wifey said squirrel dead just inside fence. Dogs would not even mess with it but just look [strange for them]. Stiff so been awhile. Had its trail over its back and all legs spread [like it had been on a limb above]. No wounds. Looked like it had been healthy. ????

Stay warm, dry and have a good one.
You've got me there. Sounds like a specimen for your state wildlife pathologist, if you Tarheels have such a thing.
That, or it ate one of your artificially colored red hot dogs . . . . . .
Old 11-12-2019, 10:53 AM
gewehrfreund

TPC Rating: 
100% (38)
Quote:

GF, came home late yesterday. Wifey said squirrel dead just inside fence. Dogs would not even mess with it but just look [strange for them]. Stiff so been awhile. Had its trail over its back and all legs spread [like it had been on a limb above]. No wounds. Looked like it had been healthy. ????

Stay warm, dry and have a good one.
You've got me there. Sounds like a specimen for you state wildlife pathologist, if you Tarheels have such a thing. Sometimes, on closer examination, it's possible to find a pellet/BB hole and/or teeth marks from a marauding, well-fed, wildlife devastating cat.

Old 11-12-2019, 10:54 AM
Sophia

That Evil Admin Lady
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gewehrfreund View Post
Hmmm, that begs the question of why he would even accept that role, wearing the uniform, etc. ect.

Quote:
The Jewish Banner defended his character, telling TV Guide in 1967, "Schultz is not a Nazi. I see Schultz as the representative of some kind of goodness in any generation."
Old 11-12-2019, 11:01 AM
Sophia

That Evil Admin Lady
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Had the solid-state external drive conversation with a tech-savvy neighbor. His first question was "why external?" followed by "just for storage instead of OS? What's up with that!"

He then mentioned that support for Windows 7 was coming to an end so I should consider upgrading to 10.... and since I was going to go through all of that why not just get a new computer with the internal SSD and 10 already loaded.
Old 11-12-2019, 11:22 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophia View Post
Had the solid-state external drive conversation with a tech-savvy neighbor. His first question was "why external?" followed by "just for storage instead of OS? What's up with that!"

He then mentioned that support for Windows 7 was coming to an end so I should consider upgrading to 10.... and since I was going to go through all of that why not just get a new computer with the internal SSD and 10 already loaded.
"Why external" is a question I get asked a lot. My answer sits in a shed 25 yards from the house. An external 2Tb drive backed up once a month or so. I have another one indoors backed up more often, and easily to hand near the back door in case I need to grab-and-run for a fire or something.

Since my 'puter is near the front door, I can grab one or the other in an emergency. Of course, my work is ON the computer - all of my designs for the last 25 years. I am NOT risking those if I can avoid it. Emails are stored on a server somewhere else, natch, and anything else is just software and replaceable.

So Yes - go external for backups. Always.

Old 11-12-2019, 11:31 AM
Sophia

That Evil Admin Lady
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailDesign View Post
"Why external" is a question I get asked a lot. My answer sits in a shed 25 yards from the house. An external 2Tb drive backed up once a month or so. I have another one indoors backed up more often, and easily to hand near the back door in case I need to grab-and-run for a fire or something.
Yeah, that's the deal. When my last computer died (internal HDD failure) I scrambled and succeeded in moving just about everything that mattered to an external drive which I then had available to move onto the new 'puter. I now have four external drives -- one working for music, one that is the working storage for pics and other files, and two that are archives of those in case of failure.

Either the working drive is acting hinky or the 'puter's connection to the drive is acting hinky hence this whole line of thought of replacement drives and now also replacing the 'puter.
Old 11-12-2019, 11:33 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Windows 7 was coming to an end so I should consider upgrading to 10.... and since I was going to go through all of that why not just get a new computer with the internal SSD and 10 already loaded.
Thats probably what I woulda said.

Finn's Apple laptop is too old for upgrading but she won't do her homework if she wants a tablet OR a smaller 13" solid state laptop weighing 3#. I pointed out the unread bookmarks I saved for her to read but she's a tough nut to crack sometimes, err, most of the time. She borrows mine to go on Safari which is no longer supported on hers. Sound familiar Mayor?
IMO+E she wouldn't like the smaller print and pix on a tablet vs the larger laptop she enjoys.
Old 11-12-2019, 11:45 AM
Frank Eagles

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gewehrfreund View Post
You've got me there. Sounds like a specimen for you state wildlife pathologist, if you Tarheels have such a thing. Sometimes, on closer examination, it's possible to find a pellet/BB hole and/or teeth marks from a marauding, well-fed, wildlife devastating cat.

Strange dogs would not touch. Finn usually grabs a downed squirrel and carries it around like a retriever. They just looked and smelled. Did that every time they went out per Wifey. maybe too much Fire Ant Mound Killer???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al the Infidel View Post
Finn's Apple laptop is too old for upgrading but she won't do her homework if she wants a tablet OR a smaller 13" solid state laptop weighing 3#. I pointed out the unread bookmarks I saved for her to read but she's a tough nut to crack sometimes, err, most of the time. She borrows mine to go on Safari which is no longer supported on hers. Sound familiar Mayor?
IMO+E she wouldn't like the smaller print and pix on a tablet vs the larger laptop she enjoys.
Yes she does. Was on desktop just before she left. In fact, acted a little irritated when she came by and I was typing a post. "Oh, you are on it."

Dropped to 42 degrees.

OH my. Wifey called and said trees at street are damaged. Figured garbage truck hit them during pickup. Then she said lumber everywhere. ??? Off to investigate.
Old 11-12-2019, 11:46 AM
GreggieBoy
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Have a warm day ahead. Yesterday wasn't too bad. Got the oil change done. Went to the cemetery where my grandparents are buried. My grandfather was in the Black Watch during WWI. They had a nice all branches rememberence ceremony yesterday. Very nicely done.

All the running around yesterday and over the weekend convinced me it was a good day for a nap.
Old 11-12-2019, 11:48 AM
gewehrfreund

TPC Rating: 
100% (38)
Quote:
Strange dogs would not touch. Finn usually grabs a downed squirrel and carries it around like a retriever. They just looked and smelled. Did that every time they went out per Wifey. maybe too much Fire Ant Mound Killer???

Or that.
Maybe you'd better not let the state boys look at it, or they might take your pension or birthday or sumpin' away.
Old 11-12-2019, 12:01 PM
Rhody
Fire FighterEmergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by COW 54 View Post
46 degrees out, and it's raining (everywhere?)

It is indeed!

A fine day to do whatever around the house.

Yep!

I need another safe!
Quote:

I'm right at that cusp -- shed a few or break down and get another safe.

I have been saying for years that I am going to sell off a bunch of cowboy guns that I no longer use... they are still here!

Quote:
Didn't know you dog sat.

I did say She came over with her little dog!

Had a GF that had one of those. Loved to walk on my back . [too much info]
Waaaaaaay too much info! (I won't say how I avoided that situation! )

As noted, it is a crappy, cold, drizzly day outside. My plan is to do some food shopping (I don't make groceries, as they are pretty much already made when I get to the store! ). I may buy a few shirts for work while out and do some other assorted errands. The plan is to be in the gym by 2:00pm!

Hope y'all have a great day!

R
Old 11-12-2019, 12:03 PM
aztarget

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al the Infidel View Post
Thats probably what I woulda said.

Maybe you need one of these Al.

Old 11-12-2019, 12:32 PM
Mike Clark

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:

We just bought a new laptop for Karen. Since I could find any gamers needing cash we bought new. The thing pops. I'll send you a link later when I verify I got the right one. I want to say $500 with a touchscreen.
Closed Thread