Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-11-2019, 09:12 PM
660grizzlyguy

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
NRL22

Does anyone see Anschutz rifles at these matches? If not, why aren't they popular? I see mostly CZ, 10/22 variants, Savage for base class, and Tikka, and some Vuddoo.
Old 11-11-2019, 10:21 PM
sfogold
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 660grizzlyguy View Post
Does anyone see Anschutz rifles at these matches? If not, why aren't they popular? I see mostly CZ, 10/22 variants, Savage for base class, and Tikka, and some Vuddoo.

Yeah, I can help here! Yes, there are a number of Annie’s shooting in NRL 22. In fact, I shoot one! There are several advantages and a few disadvantages to shooting an Annie vs a Vudoo for example. (Which I also own and shoot).

NRL 22, is also shot by a number of NRL/PRS shooters, many of which, prefer to shoot a familiar chassis and use their Arca rail attachments (bipods and such). The Annie’s have a distinct disadvantage here and it is much harder to fit an Annie to an Arca rail. (Although, I have done it)

Additionally, Vudoo has been a huge supporter of NRL22 from its early days and has provided match prices, discounts, etc to NRL participants. Anschultz, has only given them a wide berth....Its a bit silly honestly. The President of Vudoo was walking around the NRL22 finals last year giving away shirts to anyone shooting a Vudoo. While not the reason to spend $3000 on a rifle, it does help to build loyalty.

So, it is really the combination of the ability to use a 700 footprint, Arca rail availability, and scope mount options that have put the Vudoo out front of the Annies at these events. However, the Annie, if set-up correctly, with the right parts, can be a Vudoo killer.

Just my $0.02.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 11-12-2019, 09:08 AM
Penage Guy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfogold View Post
Yeah, I can help here! Yes, there are a number of Annie’s shooting in NRL 22. In fact, I shoot one! There are several advantages and a few disadvantages to shooting an Annie vs a Vudoo for example. (Which I also own and shoot).

NRL 22, is also shot by a number of NRL/PRS shooters, many of which, prefer to shoot a familiar chassis and use their Arca rail attachments (bipods and such). The Annie’s have a distinct disadvantage here and it is much harder to fit an Annie to an Arca rail. (Although, I have done it)

Additionally, Vudoo has been a huge supporter of NRL22 from its early days and has provided match prices, discounts, etc to NRL participants. Anschultz, has only given them a wide berth....Its a bit silly honestly. The President of Vudoo was walking around the NRL22 finals last year giving away shirts to anyone shooting a Vudoo. While not the reason to spend $3000 on a rifle, it does help to build loyalty.
Why do you think that the German rifle maker is silly enough to be giving NRL22 a "wide berth," as you say? How long has NRL22 been an "official" competition?

I ask because the NRL22 website only archives events as far back as 2017 so it's not easily determined from nationalrifleleague.org. In any case it appears that PRS (Precision Rifle Series) shooting rules were only established in 2012, and it is a discipline that includes rifles other than .22LR.

I'm unfamiliar with the Arca rail to which you referred in your post. Why is it important?

Here's an Anschultz model that may be competitive

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2019, 09:36 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The few Annie's that showed up at our matches were single shot. That made for a busy day for them. There was a lot of grumbling that the COF was not slanted towards them.
A couple adapted and brought there 10-22 after that and some got hurt feelings.
The area I am in you don't see a lot of expensive 22s unless they are set up for 3 position matches.
The right models are more than capable of top scores if the shooter is up to it. I have watched some really good shooters blow stage after stage because of the 2 minuet time limit. They also have a problem shooting with out a shooting jacket and glove.
Old 11-12-2019, 09:37 AM
sfogold

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Dont worry...The Annies are PLENTY competitive.

The Arca rail, allows for a flat bottom and a long area to reposition the bipod. When one is shooting from unconventional support, such as barrels, barricades and tank traps, you can quickly remove it, or slide it back to create a shorter length so that it fits the prop.

Henderson Precision makes a good one that can be adapted to an Annie if desired. There is a Henderson rail on this Annie.

Old 11-12-2019, 09:40 AM
sfogold

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHB51 View Post
They also have a problem shooting with out a shooting jacket and glove.

Okay....that was funny

Old 11-12-2019, 09:55 AM
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (38)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penage Guy View Post

Here's an Anschultz model that may be competitive

I never remember Sgt. Schultz having a Krag instead of a Mauser!
Hollywood!
Old 11-12-2019, 10:07 AM
Sophia

That Evil Admin Lady
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
XLR makes this stock for the 1710 and 1712. As far as I know it is available only from Anschutz North America but is a drop in fit.

https://www.anschutznorthamerica.com...tock_Only.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by gewehrfreund View Post
Hollywood!
I've read that the actor -- John Banner, an Austrian-born Jew who lost much of his family in the Holocaust -- refused to carry the Mauser so was instead given the Krag. Dunno if that's true or not but I read it on the internet so there you go.

Last edited by Sophia; 11-12-2019 at 10:10 AM.
Old 11-12-2019, 10:45 AM
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (38)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophia View Post
XLR makes this stock for the 1710 and 1712. As far as I know it is available only from Anschutz North America but is a drop in fit.

And CHEAP!

I've read that the actor -- John Banner, an Austrian-born Jew who lost much of his family in the Holocaust -- refused to carry the Mauser so was instead given the Krag. Dunno if that's true or not but I read it on the internet so there you go.
Hmmm, that begs the question of why he would even accept that role, wearing the uniform, etc. ect.
Old 11-12-2019, 11:21 AM
Penage Guy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophia View Post

FWIW, there's an XLR chassis for the 1710 available at Nordic Marksman in Canada.

Regarding actors in Hogan's Heroes, John Banner, who played Schultz, was not the only Jewish actor in the series, and he did not see Schultz as a Nazi. (Indeed, the character Schultz was apolitical and said he didn't like to take sides in wartime.) Also Jewish was Frenchman Robert Clary, who played the French corporal Louis LeBeau. Clary was deported as a teenager to a camp in Poland and later to Buchenwald, from which he was liberated, but many from his family perished in Auschwitz. Werner Klemperer, who played Colonel Wilhelm Klink, was the son of the famous conductor Otto Klemperer, who was Jewish by birth. The actor Klemperer accepted the role of Klink on the condition that Klink was to be portrayed as an incompetent fool.

Last edited by Penage Guy; 11-12-2019 at 11:24 AM.
Old 11-12-2019, 12:36 PM
aarondhgraham
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gewehrfreund View Post
Hollywood!
Internet lore/rumor has it that his family was persecuted by the Nazis,,,
The story goes that he refused to carry a German rifle.

Who knows if it is true or not,,,
But it makes for a good anecdote.

Aarond

Old 11-12-2019, 04:07 PM
leenie

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
shot one nlr match with a Kimber 82 I got beat by a 10 year old kid. if I shoot it again I will use a hopped up 10-22. I couldn't pick up the different targets at different ranges fast enough. a semi auto is better for me. at 69 I am not very limber and it is a little painfull hopping around on the ground. I might try it again cause I never learn. I do have a couple of anshoots but I don't think it wood help my score. dave
Old 11-12-2019, 06:48 PM
Hoser
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I usually shoot my Vudoo or 40X repeaters, but sometimes I will slum with my 1727 SBR with Gemtech Mist.

Old 11-12-2019, 09:31 PM
mezz0italiano

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoser View Post
I usually shoot my Vudoo or 40X repeaters, but sometimes I will slum with my 1727 SBR with Gemtech Mist.

Edit. I replied to your post in the photo thread.

Last edited by mezz0italiano; 11-12-2019 at 10:37 PM.
Old 11-14-2019, 09:03 PM
660grizzlyguy

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Magazines?

I have a 1427 that I may try, but don't have any 10 round mags. Are the Anschuz mags reliable? The 10 round Wisner mags have too much curve to fit in the extra deep biathlon magwell. Also the stock is not very handy for the occasional weak hand stage.