Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

break action single shot .50bmg?

3K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  derekcasey 
#1 ·
Does anybody make a .50bmg that's set up like an H&R single shot? or would the sheer power from the round just open the action on its own every time? I just think that would be a cheap and accurate rifle and a good way to get into the big bore shooting for cheap. It was just a thought that came to me at work today.

#3 ·
I doubt you will ever see one. Break actions like the inexpensive H&R aren't built to handle powerful rounds. Headspace is determined by the gap of the main receiver and the barrel. With a round that hits hard you stretch this gap over time. This can lead to improper headspace and a dangerous gun. Tossing such a monster as the 50 BMG in anything built remotely similar would be asking to blow the gun apart. They may be able to keep the action locked shut but the frame will stretch (and has in the past when powerful rounds were chambered in them) and be potentially dangerous. You do see kits to put a bolt action upper on a standard ar lower but these aren't inexpensive like you were hoping for.

#5 ·
I doubt you will ever see one. Break actions like the inexpensive H&R aren't built to handle powerful rounds. Headspace is determined by the gap of the main receiver and the barrel. With a round that hits hard you stretch this gap over time. This can lead to improper headspace and a dangerous gun. Tossing such a monster as the 50 BMG in anything built remotely similar would be asking to blow the gun apart. They may be able to keep the action locked shut but the frame will stretch (and has in the past when powerful rounds were chambered in them) and be potentially dangerous. You do see kits to put a bolt action upper on a standard ar lower but these aren't inexpensive like you were hoping for.
Break action guns are chambered for the highest pressure rounds made today. Several of them (like the T/C Encore and the Blaser ) can handle 65,000 psi so the "design" can handle the lower pressure of the 50 BMG no problem. No current break action is large enough and strong enough to do it but one COULD be built. No reason it could not be done. Like all other 50 BMGs it would not be a small, light gun but it is most certainly doable.

#7 ·
The 50 BMG makes over 13,000 LBS of energy at the muzzle. All 50 BMG rifles weight about 20 to 30 lbs and have a huge muzzle break and are fired from the prone or bench position. A rifle light enought to be carried and fired like a normal rifle would damage the shooters shoulder and put the scope into their head.

#10 ·
"a good way to get into the big bore shooting for cheap" -

If good way includes safe I don't think you can do it other than black powder. On the other hand you can shoot a 308 out to 1000 yds. and take anything on this continent short of the great bears. You can also go with something like a 300 RUM, if you haven't held onto a rifle like that when 100 gr. of Retumbo lights off you might try it. It will ring your bell!! You might just decide that is big enough!!:D

#11 ·
You can also go with something like a 300 RUM, if you haven't held onto a rifle like that when 100 gr. of Retumbo lights off you might try it. It will ring your bell!! You might just decide that is big enough!!:D
reminds me of a phase i went through...

a couple years ago, i thought i wanted something bigger than my .30-06, so i went out and bought a .338 WinMag...:D

...pulled the trigger twice...:eek:

...traded it for a new .30-06...:t

besides the sore shoulder and bruised pride, at $1.75 every pull of the trigger (cheapest i could find locally) was more than i was willing to spend to shoot a gun regularly.

50 BMG is that, multiplied a few times

on a side note, when i bought the first box of shells for that .338 WimMag, i mistakenly got a box of .338 RUM. Got home, took a shell out and immediatly knew i had the wrong ammo, but ****...call me chicken, after seeing the size of that, im not willing to pull the trigger on a R.U.M.

DW

#13 ·
I just think that would be a cheap and accurate rifle and a good way to get into the big bore shooting for cheap.
Probably a good, cheap way to put a human into orbit without using a rocket ship or other vehicle - a light Rossi-like break open in .50 BMG would kick you into next week.

My 'Junk Yard Dog' single shot 12 gauge is light, short and with slug loads - hurtsss! Yep, it kick a might - loud too. :eek:

Cannot imagine the pain if similar design was shot with the Ma Duece load . . .

#14 · (Edited by Moderator)
We are in the process of converting our Class 01 to Class 07 manufacturer's license and SOT and as a result, my #1 son has his eye on building a breakaction or single shot bolt action BMG. He has a rough CAD design done and his plan is to use .308 SLAP rounds to keep the cost down to a reasonable level. However, .50 to .30 sabots are not that cheap either!!

Off the top of my head I think proof rounds for the 50 BMG are in the 72K range and normal loads are around 52K. the 50 BMG is just an up-sized .30-06 to burn more powder and throw a bigger slug...nothing special beyond that. There are certainly better long range cartridges than the 50 BMG unless you lare going to use it against something other than paper.

My though is to find a design for an old German Mauser 12.5/13 mm anti tank rifle and use that for the BMG. Actually, I'm trying to talk him out of it because he has better things to do...like pay attention in college and get good grades.

If we do it, Ill post the progress photos.

#15 ·
I have fired a .50 caliber based on the action type azmbl22 mentioned above. Single shot where the cartridge is placed into the shell holder on the bolt, then the bolt inserted. For the life of me I can't remember the comapany that made the upper, I wanna say Ferret 50? Anyhow, recoil was not that bad at all. Like a "stiff" 20 guage.

#16 ·
the 50 bmg i had had a muzzle brake that was huge. if you biuld a break action 50 bmg are you going to make it a bench rifle? you will hurt yourself very bad if it is light!! mine wieghted around 35 pounds scope and all. it kicked like a .243. you had better stop and think about the monster you are trying to tame!! the owners manuel said not to fire it with out the muzzle brake on it because it would destroy the shooters shoulder. think long and hard before you try to shoot this rifle you plan to make. if it doesn't wiegh at least 20 pounds you cruisen for more than a bruisen!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.