Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Picking a CZ457 model

6K views 46 replies 19 participants last post by  LoneWolfSS454 
#1 ·
Have been playing with a Ruger 10/22 for a while, and have tried a few different guns that others have lent me for 100-yard egg shoots and 50-yd Benchrest (shooting ~400s), and as my wife is looking to use that rifle, I'm looking at a CZ457 (originally figured a 452 but they are just as expensive) as my next step on the never-ending journey toward accuracy.

From what I understand, the only model with a different chamber is the MTR, and otherwise there isn't a whole lot of difference in the performance from the Varmint on up (Premium, Precision Varmint). Plan is to primarily use this for Benchrest/fun shooting, and maybe the occasional small and pesky (but I have the 10/22 for that). So my question is - is the MTR really worth the price jump over the Varmint, or am I better off putting that toward a better scope (I'll probably run a Leupold 3-9 x40 if I'm shooting factory to meet local rules, and have something higher end for the detail and range)? I prefer a natural wood stock, and have to admit that Turkish Walnut is definitely a selling point. Longer term I would also contemplate owning both a Varmint and an MTR, but trying to get a feel on the value proposition, or if the Varmint is more than enough rifle to keep me busy for a while. Would appreciate any comments or suggestions.

#2 · (Edited)
I'm sure you'll get other opinions on this, but if BR shooting is fairly new to you, I'd go with the Varmint, and invest the extra cash in a great scope. I made this exact same choice in early 2019 and Love the accuracy, and everything else, about my .22lr 457 Varmint. I've read what seems like endless discussions on the whole "accuracy thing" and my take away is this; going from a model such as the CZ 457-V, to the MTR (or other known) better rifles (in the rough same price range), is more about tiny accuracy improvements, verses huge gains. That does depend on a number of things, such as getting a "good rifle" to start with (not a rare "dud), your abilities (or ability to learn & improve), and other related equipment (the actual bench, rest, etc). I'm still learning, getting better, working on building a very stable portable bench, ammo testing, etc, but now with a large batch (a case) of SK Rifle Match ammo (which over all seems the best ammo for the price according to a majority here), I've finally been able to get some really nice groups. I just need the bench (prone makes an old injury horribly painful), and more practice, to consistently get small groups. Less wind would help a lot as well, but it's just a normal part of living here in the high desert...
Personally, I'd argue the Varmints heavy barrel is better than the other (non-MTR) models (excluding varmint/heavy barrel target/chassis style models), but that statement normally causes a huge can-o-worms debate around here!

#16 ·
I'm sure you'll get other opinions on this, but if BR shooting is fairly new to you, I'd go with the Varmint, and invest the extra cash in a great scope. I made this exact same choice in early 2019 and Love the accuracy, and everything else, about my .22lr 457 Varmint. I've read what seems like endless discussions on the whole "accuracy thing" and my take away is this; going from a model such as the CZ 457-V, to the MTR (or other known) better rifles (in the rough same price range), is more about tiny accuracy improvements, verses huge gains. That does depend on a number of things, such as getting a "good rifle" to start with (not a rare "dud), your abilities (or ability to learn & improve), and other related equipment (the actual bench, rest, etc). I'm still learning, getting better, working on building a very stable portable bench, ammo testing, etc, but now with a large batch (a case) of SK Rifle Match ammo (which over all seems the best ammo for the price according to a majority here), I've finally been able to get some really nice groups. I just need the bench (prone makes an old injury horribly painful), and more practice, to consistently get small groups. Less wind would help a lot as well, but it's just a normal part of living here in the high desert...
Personally, I'd argue the Varmints heavy barrel is better than the other (non-MTR) models (excluding varmint/heavy barrel target/chassis style models), but that statement normally causes a huge can-o-worms debate around here!
:yeahthat:

Well said, LoneWolf. I'll add that a 3-9 scope will probably become insufficient when the OP wants to be very precise, or moves out to 100 yards. I like the 6-24 range because it combines a wide field of view at low power with enough magnification at higher powers to shoot the tee out from under the golf ball at 100 yards.

#3 ·
I decided on a 457 At one with the longer 24 in barrel--the reason? because it was the only CZ my shop had on the shelf I liked the look of the longer barrel--was unsure about the At One but it has grown on me ---I too thought about what if I had the bull barrel? What about that match chamber etc well.....After a couple thousand rounds and 8 weeks with this rifle I would say that I am THRILLED with it! It took a while to see what kind of ammo shoots better in it--It loved some and hated others--I have shot just about everything made through it--I love shooting at The Green Monster targets --I try them at 25 and 50 Yds Our range has concrete benches and I bought a Leadsled because I did not know better would have got a front rest and rear bag so I could enter the online contest here--I have adjusted on the factory trigger and have it so light I can't believe it--I Love it! I actually ordered a YouDave spring and don't think I will even put it in my rifle is so nice now--
The rifle is better than I am by far--It will do sub .200 grouping at 50 yds easy
It LOVES the Center X--It shoots next best believe it or not with SK semi Auto--It really does amazing with Eley Club and target It did not do so hot with the batch of Rifle Match I got--It did not seem to like the RWS ammo ---at 100 yards you can't miss a golf ball with it and at 150 yards we hammer on those golf balls and make it look easy--and we have found out that plinking at 150 the HV or whatever cheapo stuff we can get works fine--yes you miss that golf ball a time or two but there are no rings and who cares? My dad comes with me? Well then I shoot the good stuff to show off--just me? I plink with cheapo at longer ranges--I save the good ammo for paper punching on Calm days
I have a Vortex 6-24x50 AO with adjustable objective I love this scope for the $$$
I think any CZ you get will make you happy---I think getting dialed in on the one you get and say do not worry about "better" ones with better test targets etc Just work with what you get and sooner or later you will find out what shoots best in it and how to get the most out of it So far it seems like I am the issue not anything to do with my fine CZ!
Get whatever you can find that looks nice and start shooting--I think whatever you get will make you happy

#11 ·
Well I just was able to do that kind of grouping and it was with the $$$ ammo on perfect day but lets me know that it is me and not the equipment--
Not saying that I can do it every outing by any means
But since I have done that I am moving out to 100 and see what happens

Just have to say that this has been a great new hobby to take up with the way the world is going--a good getaway from everything couple times a week. I have noticed our range membership has been going up week by week

#5 ·
Thanks for the advice. Lonewolf and Duster you make good points - I think the Varmint is more than enough rifle for my skills at this point and I agree that technique is most likely my big issue here and practice will make all the difference, and I am relatively new to the benchrest game (though did it for a while years ago). My impression from reading around was there didn't seem to be a huge gradient between them, and so far comments haven't convinced me otherwise.

I think I'm leaning toward the Varmint. A complicating factor may be that I shoot lefty, and I seem to recall the MTR had a RH preferential sculpting - is it the same for the At-One or Varmint?

#12 ·
Hey my friend , go for the MTR ...
Youre a big boy you have shot a gun beforeu
Next year you will wish that you had done the right thing ..
With the possibility of two in the household I think there is room for expansion. It seems like once you buy your first CZ a second seems inevitable in any case

Next year you will wish that you had done the right thing ..

By buying an Anschutz!
Now, now, I can't go spending all the hard earned, and I don't have a first child to trade. I can always pass the CZ to the wife :p (won't be hard, I may have to fight to get her to let me use the CZ cause she likes how it looks).

#18 ·
Don't mind the right hand bolt and particularly on the bench - its a little awkward when hunting, but grew up that way, but its more the extra material on the MTR stock that had me concerned. Curious how the At-ONE will go. Seems like I'm going to have to wait or find another dealer, as my local sold out its last 457 Varmint today.

#23 ·
Many years ago my cousin inlaw had me shooting Hunter class bench rest with a sporter of his. I'm right handed and he was a lefty, as was his Savage I was shooting. I expect there is a lot of personal preference involved, but I really liked shooting the left handed Savage bolt gun from my normal right handed position in bench matches. Wouldn't work with all stock designs, but at least with a basic sporter stock that had no cheekpiece, it worked great.

#17 ·
Well said, LoneWolf. I'll add that a 3-9 scope will probably become insufficient when the OP wants to be very precise, or moves out to 100 yards. I like the 6-24 range because it combines a wide field of view at low power with enough magnification at higher powers to shoot the tee out from under the golf ball at 100 yards.
Thanks for the suggestion - Club rules are that factory class is restricted to a 9x max, and given I was planning on getting something for a .243 anyway (its MI so 9x is the leading edge of useful), I figure I would pick up maybe another Leupold VX Freedom 3-9x 40mm. I guess that begs the question what would make a good ~6-24x or similar for this rifle that ain't going to be too ridiculous.

#19 ·
I have been lucky enough to have picked up both a MTR and a varmit in a 457 and will say accurancy wise my MTR is more accurate shooter although the varmit is no slouth eather both are .5 at 50 yards factory with decent ammo with the MTR showing more .3s and less flyers. Don't think you will go wrong with eather but for a couple extra hundred bucks I would go with the MTR but I shoot right handed. Good luck

#24 ·
Consider going for something higher than 9x if you plan to extend your distance. Locally, if there is a restriction on magnification, the scope gets set at the highest max allowed and some tape is added to assure it stays there. Still some integrity involved. May mitigate cost of purchasing--and switching-- scope for longer distances.

#25 ·
I've got a pro varmint with a Boyd's AT-One stock on it. Love it. Just got an MTR but haven't had it long enough to tell if it's better. It does tend to require some pressure to close the bolt, even with high end ammo. Don't know if that is common or not. Both have Yo Dave springs in them. Big difference.

#26 ·
Yes my MTR is harder to engage the bolt too but especially with Eley ammo and it isn't as accurate with Eley as Lapua and SK ammo in my MTR. Must be tighter head spacing in the MTR but maybe just my gun. There does appear to be a difference in the chambering of the MTR from the rest of my CZ's

#29 ·
I'll keep them in mind, as they look to keep most in stock if the wife decides she wants one. There is another dealer I have in town who is able to get one in, so I have it on order with a couple of the 10 rnd magazines, and should be here this week. Saves on the FFL transfer.

Anyone have a good feel for what match/subsonic this thing might like - or is it pretty much completely variable?

I've picked up a 419 15 MOA scope mount, still undecided on what I should be putting on top of this thing though. There were a couple of secondhand Leupolds available locally (4.5-16 x50s), but I'm not really a fan of a plain duplex reticle for working out wind holdovers so looking for something a little nicer with a Rimfire MOA or Mildot, or at least a target dot.

#31 · (Edited)
I've picked up a 419 15 MOA scope mount, still undecided on what I should be putting on top of this thing though. There were a couple of secondhand Leupolds available locally (4.5-16 x50s), but I'm not really a fan of a plain duplex reticle for working out wind holdovers so looking for something a little nicer with a Rimfire MOA or Mildot, or at least a target dot.
Xebadir, The scope question is very complicated.
First, a budget range needs to be made, then go from there. With that said, something to pay close attention to (in what you seem to want) are the size/thickness of the dots/lines of the reticle components, while keeping in mind certain givens, such as 1-MOA is a little over an Inch at 100 yards (a 1-MOA @100-yds, center reticle dot, will just hide/cover a 1" target bullseye). Sometimes finding the exact dimensions of these things, from some scope manufactures, isn't easy.

With every scope I have, at higher magnifications, my eye has to be at very specific distance (in a very tiny distance range) from the eyepiece. This makes most 20X to 26X (maximum-X) scopes more like (and more useful) at about 18X to 20X. So it's a good idea to get a little stronger magnification than you think you'll need.

The minimum parallax setting is another important thing. If you may end up shooting at short distances at some point, a scope with a minimum 50 yard parallax setting could be nearly useless. You may, or may not, ever need it, but it's nice to have close up capability. Since I still enjoy plinking, I try to find 10-yd minimum parallax scopes, when I can (if 10-yd isn't available in what else I need, then a 25-yd minimum is my requirement).

In general, with scopes, the more you can spend, the better glass you normally get. Put differently, with scopes, you get what you pay for. The choice for you is, can/will you save up more money, and pay for higher quality up front, or is budget a priority, so an entry level scope is what's best for now?

Cost Savings Tip: Natchez often has pretty good scopes on sale, for as little as half price (roughly). Patience for the right sale could create huge savings for you. I suggest you sign up for their newsletter/sale - emails.

I consider this a decent entry level scope with a reticle that I think is what you're looking for (it also has a 10-yd min parallax): https://www.bushnell.com/riflescopes/match-pro/match-pro-6-24x50-riflescope/2178035.html

This is a good step up from that with a 25-yd min parallax (but it's also almost twice the MSRP, so a sale would help greatly) Also Note the reticle difference between 1st & 2nd focal plane, in the pdf manual!: https://www.bushnell.com/riflescope...0-riflescope-deploy-moa-sfp/BU-RF4275BS1.html

The above are but only 2 of an endless number of options you have. Getting the best scope for your budget is a time consuming (research) process, to say the least. Sometimes just finding the minimum parallax number can be highly difficult with certain brands. I seriously wish you luck on this aspect.
Edit: BTW, the Forge scope above is not "the best for the price" but, I've seen Natchez selling them at close to $450 earlier this year. That sale price makes it a great deal IMHO.

#30 ·
I haven't been able to do extensive ammo testing, so I read tons of posts here to get an idea of what worked pretty good in a variety of CZ's, and the SK name came up the most. Rifle Match a lot, followed closely by Pistol Match. Obviously certain models may perform better with other lines or brands, but the SK RM is a very good place to start.

#32 · (Edited)
I agree with LoneWolf. I have a 10/22 International stock (Mannlicher) and a CZ 452 hogback trainer - love them. Put your extra money into quality glass. My 6-24X50 Vortex Viper and Crossfire (for my eyes) are tapped out at 200 meters. My .22 Sniper friends use scopes costing from $500-$1,000 more than I was able to afford. But half of them also shoot Anschutz and 10/22 custom clones. I have forgiven them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.