Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Took the 25n and 795 out with my 7 y/o today.

881 views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  FiveInADime 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm sad that the days of new Marlin 22s may have ended but I'm grateful that I was gifted the two I own. Both of them are fantastically accurate and every time I shoot them it tamps down my temptation to go buy a CZ or another "higher end" .22LR.

My son has shot my 795 a couple times with my help but I had him shoot the 25n today for the first time solo. He's only seven but he's sharp and a big kid.

I had not shot the 25n for years. I took the first five shots to see if the scope was still sighted in. It was about two inches left at 50 yards but it sure can still shoot! The group in the picture was those first five shots with CCI SV. My son enjoyed shooting the clays we found laying around and tagged them easily at 50 and 100 yards. It was really nice to get out of the house and take him just like my dad took me. My 25n was a gift from my dad to take the NRA safety course when I was 10.

I also shot a sub 1", 10-shot group with the 25n and SK Standard+. There was no wind today. Dad picked a good one. The CCI SV shot about 1.5" at 100.

I'm going to fix up the 25n for my son and have something engraved for him for his 10th b-day. Hopefully by then an American company will make an affordable, accurate, wood and steel .22 like the Marlin. I won't hold my breath, though.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

See less See more
#3 ·
Give your boy the marlin 25N and bite the bullet and get a CZ for your self.

Next time you both set to shoot itty bitty groups you'll both giggle every time you pull the trigger.

"The biggest communication problem is we don't listen to understand, we listen to reply"
I like CZs, don't get me wrong, I just wish an AMERICAN company could make an affordable, classically-styled .22 rifle.

I'd love to find a Marlin walnut stock that fits the 25n to replace the beech/hardwood that it has. It's got a lot of dings. I may just creatively re-work it before I give it to him. There's apparently a real trick to getting that wood to not turn out splochy/uneven when finishing it.

#4 ·
Looked like a fun time out with the boy:bthumb:

..the Boy reminds me of my Grandson at about that age:)

he shot his first deer at 9...just a couple years away

The beech stocks do o.k. as strip and rework; several have done it here with much success.

Try It and If you don't like it, get another, its rewarding and a fun project:t

Get help here need be-

:rolleyes:
pipestone

This post has been deleted
#6 ·
It looks like walnut but I'm not sure ....

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/597430

You're correct about refinishing the original stock - like a post in this thread says - the beech needs to first be fully sealed w/o stain ..... after it's had the original finish removed and sanded smooth all the way to at least 400 grit. Once it's fully sealed, a finish or tinted finish can be applied with nice results. Fine sanding and sealing w/o stain is critical to an unblotched result - especially on the end grains.

If you want, start a new thread about refinishing Marlin beech stocks, and hopefully you'll get lots of detailed advice.
Thanks for the link. That's actually an uncheckered, unfinished version of what I have. Marlin put a thick brown/reddish cover-up finish on them to color them like walnut but it's that light hardwood underneath. There's been some walnut versions over the years but I've never been able to lay hands on one.

This post has been deleted
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.