#2 Weatherby XXII, Anschutz Bolt-Action Version - Page 3 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-01-2020, 09:00 PM
NIB
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

There are steel plates set up at 340YDS at one of the ranges I visit. I'd be using that crystal clear scope with a bit of horsepower magnification for those plates! I walked out to the plates one day and they looked like a Parmesan Cheese Grater! Had someone possibly been shooting armor piercing or was this normal for jacketed softpoints? I don't know for sure but these are the "Pits" I was referring to.
Old Yesterday, 07:15 AM
LoneWolfSS454

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
340 yards sounds interesting, and fun! I'm not sure either how those targets got shot up like that, but I now know this... The (inherited) LR-308, with "commercial ammo" can easily blast a hole through a steel target that's 5/16's of an inch thick, at 50 yards. As far as I know, the target in question is just "regular steel", not the AR-#00 whatever - hardened steel stuff (which I do have some of too). The ammo used had already been loaded in spare magazines, so I'm not sure what exactly it is/was, but it had chromed cases, black colored bullets (I know, just like some military 30-06 armor piercing ammo I've seen before, but it's not like that stuff-) because it had red polymer, or some semi-transparent plastic material tips (which the 30-06 AP ammo didn't). I think I have more of this ammo in the original boxes and it's just regular (but high quality, and expensive) off the shelf ammo that anyone can buy.
A good, clear and powerful scope would definitely help you with such shooting. They're also nice because you don't need to drag along a spotting scope with you. I like being able to see bullet holes in paper from 200 yards away. If I can get the ammo I'd need for that 6.5-CM custom rifle I mentioned earlier, I want a scope that can see those bullet holes from 500 yards away, possibly more. A dream scope for a dream rifle? BTW, what Caliber are you using for 340 yards, and if it's not a "secret", what rifle?
Below, one abused by an LR-308, steel target...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Steel Target With Hole.jpg (98.3 KB, 15 views)
Old Yesterday, 09:28 PM
NIB
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You literally punched that 5/16 steel out! A Sierra Match King being basically FMJ might also put a bit of a dent..an..(accurate) dent. Bullet holes "seen" at 500YD must take X magnification? I've had a Vortex Golden Eagle with ED glass on my mind from time to time. But I'm not in a hurry. I've got an old Colt Sauer in 30-06 that still gets the job done. Not sure of mounts for the VGE as the Sauer has special bases that need to be kept. These take dovetail mounts and the VGE is 30mm tube so I have not yet checked into availability of those? Gun will shoot, I once put three commercially loaded 150gr soft-points into the 340YD (I think 12/14 inch diameter) plate as fast as I could ready myself for the next consecutive shots while being steady enough for all of them. It impressed a fellow shooting a couple benches over from me. The slim hammer forged barrel did the job and must not have been overly warm to perform.

BTW...The Sauer uses a Roy "Weatherby" type stock in the interest of keeping 50% (not rimfire) in line with this Weatherby forum.