Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-22-2020, 06:01 PM
Nick7274
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toomany22s View Post
The hm2 is cheaper and more available now than the 17 hmr.
I guess it varies depending on where you live. I have no problem finding HMR in local stores. A lot of them don't even carry HM2 around here.
Old 11-22-2020, 06:53 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (13)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick7274 View Post
I guess it varies depending on where you live. I have no problem finding HMR in local stores. A lot of them don't even carry HM2 around here.
it's the same here 17hmr never goes away the HM2 on the other hand is almost never seen.

Signalman
Old 11-22-2020, 07:19 PM
comfisherman
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Send a message via AIM to comfisherman
17 mach 2 will be mighty slim pickings when the current stock runs out. The chances they do another run on it in a while is slim.

For whatever reason 17 hmr has beat out 2 out if 3 shortages and seems to be combating this one as well.
Old 11-22-2020, 07:56 PM
SteelPig
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via ICQ to SteelPig Send a message via AIM to SteelPig
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick7274 View Post
I have a feeling that over the years some of these rimfire rounds will start to fade and become harder to find. IMO the HM2 would be in that category. The HMR on the other hand I would say is here to stay. just giving my opinion.
This has been chanted over and over again, and has yet to come to fruition. That being said HMR has a greater variety of projectiles available. My opinion on which rifle would be a 54 or 64 action Anschutz
Old 11-24-2020, 02:40 PM
RimfireFun
US Army Veteran

The Conch Republic and the state of Michigan
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merle View Post
OOPPSS on me. I never considered that part.
I just got a chunk of cash from the VA for Agent Orange, and I want to use it while I still can.
I guess pretty much a grand for the rifle and scope combo.
I dont think I can use anything Olympic grade.
You can certainly buy an excellent rifle & scope within your budget ,although the Begara someone mentioned has a MRSP of $950. You can get a very good rifle/scope combo for less than that. See the post by DaveS. You seem to want a bolt action, and I think that is a good choice. Myself, I went with 17hmr, due to ammo selection and future availability. If you wanna hunt small game with it, go for head or front quarter shots.

Last bit of advice which I think is the best offered here: If you haven't already, visit some club shoots and see what your competition would be using. Just like this site, people like talking about their guns. You may get chances to shoot some of them. (guns, not shooters)
You can join a club with out owning a rifle, and just observe at their range. Again, you'll probably get chances to shoot different rifles. and get opinions on them.
Good luck!
Old 11-24-2020, 07:41 PM
tbates66

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Interesting thread. Ammo availability for most calibers has become volatile and unpredictable, including !7Mach and 17HMR. I have both and wnet thru that period awhile back where 17Mach2 was very hard to find. The 17HMR as generally been more available. Now I have trouble finding 17HMR for prices I like....oh well.
But, to our OP's questions....I recently pick up an Anschutz 1517 in excellent condition for $600 and put a scope on it that I had on hand. I plan to order a Tract scope for it, which will cost me $194. So if you look and scour the internet, you can find a really nice set up for under $1000. So buy the best gun you can find. You'll be glad you did. And stick with the 17HMR; the ammo is usually readily available and in numerous configurations. The worst aspect of the 17Mach2 ammo is it is quirky. Invariably, I can shoot 10 shot groups at 50 yds wiith 8 of them making a ragged group about the size of a dime and 2 flyers well outsie of that circle. To me that means I'll miss 20% of the squirrel eyes I shoot at if I do my part. Of course, I don't always hit them like I want to, but the point is it undermines my confidence in the rifle. Consequently, the 17Mach2 stays home.
Old 11-27-2020, 01:45 AM
94Vette

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Just ordered a Savage .17 WSM for the groundhog hunt.
Old 11-29-2020, 01:50 PM
Buck720

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Sir you stepped into a big one most on this site are going to say CZ, but a rifle is only as good as the shooter and the ammo you use. So pick out any thing that your eyes like. You might be a better shot with a gun then most but if not no matter how much you spend on a rifle won’t improve it.
Old 11-30-2020, 12:16 AM
comfisherman

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Send a message via AIM to comfisherman
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94Vette View Post
Just ordered a Savage .17 WSM for the groundhog hunt.
For going purely hunting you'll be happy with it. The difference in "thwack " is perceptible.
Old 11-30-2020, 09:42 AM
James Cottrell
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran Fire Fighter NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via AIM to James Cottrell
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merle View Post
OOPPSS on me. I never considered that part.
I just got a chunk of cash from the VA for Agent Orange, and I want to use it while I still can.
I guess pretty much a grand for the rifle and scope combo.
I dont think I can use anything Olympic grade.
Hi from a fellow AO victim. I have a Tikka T1x in 17hmr and it is super accurate.