Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-25-2021, 10:32 AM
StephenBachiler

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Leopold 45x45 Competition Scope equivalent

Buy once cry once - but before I do I figured I would reach out to RFC members for guidance.

This will be for 50 yard ARA on 457 mtr
If there another offering at which I should look?
Additonally as I reviewed previous posts it looked like area 419 rails might sit a bit high which begs the question..if I only plan to shoot this rifle for ARA at 50 do I REALLY need a rail other than the factory 11mm dovetail? On occation I would shoot out to 100 and 200 (for fun)

Thank you and Happy Thanksgiving
Old 11-25-2021, 10:34 AM
todde

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sightron fixed 45.

Todd
Old 11-25-2021, 10:35 AM
StephenBachiler

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks Todd. Any thoughts on the rail v dovetail
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2021, 10:42 AM
vlnbyr

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
45X is nice but you don't need that much mag for Factory Class. I'd look for a nice used 36X Weaver or Sightron and spend the savings on ammo.
Old 11-25-2021, 10:43 AM
todde

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I see no reason for a different rail unless you felt like you might run out of elevation on the occasion you might shoot further.

Todd
Old 11-25-2021, 10:46 AM
Hi-NV Shooter
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (44)
Quote:
Originally Posted by todde View Post
Sightron fixed 45.

Todd

Lee

P.S If the Weaver 46X XR were still being made that would be my first choice. I shoot both and the Weaver is a bit brighter to me
Old 11-25-2021, 10:49 AM
StephenBachiler

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlnbyr View Post
45X is nice but you don't need that much mag for Factory Class. I'd look for a nice used 36X Weaver or Sightron and spend the savings on ammo.
Thanks for the reply...one of the take a ways from my experience at the ARA match was my 12x athlon was underpowered - go figure lol
Old 11-25-2021, 11:11 AM
Lloyd S.
National Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (13)
You don't need a rail; the grooved receiver will work just fine with rimfire/airgun rings. If you want to use Weaver-Pic rings the Delrin adapters made by J&P work really well. Just be sure to torque the mounting screws to 25 in.-lb or a bit more (I usually go with 30) to keep them from sliding in the receiver grooves. Also, if you decide to go with the J&P adapters, be sure to order the ones made for your rifle. CZ adapters are flat, Anschutz are arched, for example.
Old 11-25-2021, 11:59 AM
BR54
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The 11mm dovetail is all you need, or if you want a picatinny rail, get one that's 0 MOA. You will be fine up to a couple of hundred yards. After that you will need more MOA on the rail. All I shoot is benchrest at 100 yds. You both Weaver 36X40 and the 45x45 Leupold. Leupold is brighter, and it should be. Better glass than the weaver and cost 4 times as much. YMMV.
Old 11-25-2021, 04:21 PM
Smoothtrigger
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have no problem with using 45X at 50yds.

However I would strongly suggest not getting the Leupold fixed 45X.
I have 6 total Leupold scopes, so In general I'm a fan. I also have 4 NightForce scopes.

Why not?
Becuase of the following reasons.

#1:
The combination of 45X and a 45mm objective will give you a tiny exit pupil of 1 mm.
That means that you will have to have your eye almost perfectly centered to see the image, and with that combo of 45X &45mm the image regardless of the excellent glass will be a bit dim.

#2:
In high mirage conditions you won't be able to dial back the power.

#3:
Its minimum focus is 50yds.
You may want to shoot closer than that at some point.

#5:
There is a far far better scope available for the same price.

The NightForce Benchrest 12-42X 56mm scope.

With its much larger exit pupil, you will find it very easy to get behind and find you image.
With a 56mm front objective it will be much brighter at 42X, and just keeps getting brighter as you dial down the power, and the exit pupil keeps growing.
The accuracy and repeatability of it adjustments are legendary.
It will focus down to 25yds.
It's know for its superb construction, has thousands of wins, along with a huge number of world Benchrest records achieved in its more than a decade of existence.
It's the only scope in the NF line that hasn't been updated over the years because it simply gets the job done. That should tell you something.

So the only down side to some is its size (cosmetics and personal taste), and the 36oz weight which for benchrest shooting is actually a plus.

This rifle has shot a 249-11X on a USBR target just a few weeks ago. And it's a Stock Vudoo.
It's pictured here with its sun shield extension on, which makes it look bigger.

This rifle just shot a pair of 246's on the USBR target in the last month or so. Anschutz 1710 HB.

If your budget allows it, this is the scope. Next stop up will be in the $2300-$6000 range.
I've been shooting centerfire and rimfire bench-rest matches for 11 years and have seen them all. This scope can hold its own against any of them. And by the way, I'm an optics snob.
I'm currently shooting a NF 15-55X 52mm scope because at one time I needed it in order to make weight limits in F-Class matches.
I sold my NF 12-42X because of that.
I now kinda miss it because of that big objective with the advantages that size provided, and because I shoot my 55X at 42X anyway.

Smooth

Last edited by Smoothtrigger; 11-25-2021 at 05:57 PM.