Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-25-2021, 07:58 AM
Penage Guy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi-NV Shooter View Post
Now it could be a left over 1964 receiver, but my 1965 1411 has only the rear grooved DT, it also had a single extractor bolt and I have seen other 1965 54's with dual setups.
It may indeed be a receiver left from the previous year. Perhaps unlike automobiles, changes in design in Anschutz rifles may not have always coincided with the beginning of the calendar year.
Old 11-25-2021, 08:51 AM
tim slater

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penage Guy View Post
It may indeed be a receiver left from the previous year. Perhaps unlike automobiles, changes in design in Anschutz rifles may not have always coincided with the beginning of the calendar year.
Perhaps the proofhouse had a backlog?

We do assume that Anschutz Serial numbers are roughly in chronological order (partly because these were the hot ticket), but I agree some changes weren't neat
Old 11-25-2021, 09:58 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via Yahoo to PEASHOOTER67
Series 1400 Match 54 Scope Blocks

Mine is a 1969 1411 match 54 with factory blocks and only back half of receiver groves.
This Iím about 98% certain. Sooooo, somebody is wrong about dates.

Mine came home with a service man from Germany .

"The biggest communication problem is we don't listen to understand, we listen to reply"

Last edited by PEASHOOTER67; 11-25-2021 at 10:13 AM.
Old 11-25-2021, 10:33 AM
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
scope blocks

Is it possible Anschutz used different spec rifles for a domestic and foreign markets? The non-D&T barrels for the Euro ISU market and the US NRA market?
My Pre-1411 Match 54 taper barrel #5843 has scope blocks and the milled front sight mount.
Old 11-25-2021, 10:38 AM
Hi-NV Shooter

TPC Rating: 
100% (44)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PEASHOOTER67 View Post
Mine is a 1969 1411 match 54 with factory blocks and only back half of receiver groves.

"The biggest communication problem is we don't listen to understand, we listen to reply"
There is a possibility that the barrel is yes from 1969 and the receiver is from an earlier year. putting a newer factory barrel on an older receiver is not hard.

such as this picture shows, notice the serial number and the barrel date code they won't match as the numbers will show about 1968-70 and barrel code is 1979

here is the rifle that barrel is on

Lee
Old 11-25-2021, 12:29 PM
Penage Guy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:

As noted earlier, that very unusual combination would very much be a sight to see.

The most logical explanation for a pre-1965 receiver with aft only dovetails having a 1969 barrel would be, as Lee suggests, that the original barrel was swapped.
Old 11-25-2021, 12:36 PM
Penage Guy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim slater View Post
Perhaps the proofhouse had a backlog?

We do assume that Anschutz Serial numbers are roughly in chronological order (partly because these were the hot ticket), but I agree some changes weren't neat
Another possibility is that there were receivers left unused that were rear dovetails only. Anschutz might well have used up all "older" receivers before using the new, fully dovetailed ones. Older designs of receivers and stocks may be used rather than discarded. I would guess that serial numbers are chronological and are put on a complete rifle as a final part of the assembly process.
Old 11-25-2021, 12:54 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Anschutz might well have used up all "older" receivers before using the new, fully dovetailed ones. Older designs of receivers and stocks may be used rather than discarded.
Over 3-4 years? Sounds very unlikely. I think Lee's speculation is more plausible.

In any case there are some very knowledgeable posters on here; if Peashooter is going to accuse them of getting their dates wrong I think he/she needs to provide evidence.
Old 11-25-2021, 01:12 PM
tim slater

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanprone View Post
Is it possible Anschutz used different spec rifles for a domestic and foreign markets? The non-D&T barrels for the Euro ISU market and the US NRA market?
My Pre-1411 Match 54 taper barrel #5843 has scope blocks and the milled front sight mount.
It's possible, but I don't think Anschutz did this. A quick look on the www.eGun.de site shows the 14xx heavy barrels have 'scope blocks as expected. 'Scope Smallbore shooting is not a big thing here*, yet every older factory heavy barrel I've seen has blocks, or provision.

*There are anysights competitions, but these are voluntary, rather than a main part of the programme.
Old 11-25-2021, 04:02 PM
Penage Guy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy22 View Post
Over 3-4 years? Sounds very unlikely. I think Lee's speculation is more plausible.

In any case there are some very knowledgeable posters on here; if Peashooter is going to accuse them of getting their dates wrong I think he/she needs to provide evidence.
Obviously, you misunderstand. While there are knowledgeable posters on this forum, I've said nothing about Anschutz using older, superseded receivers over a 3-4 year period. Furthermore, I've agreed with Lee's speculation.

My post #22, which you've partially quoted above, was specifically in response to tim slater, who reasonably suggested a backlog at the proof house. I offered an additional possibility, namely that receivers that had not been used in rifles produced in 1964 may have been put to use in 1965 rather than remaining unused or scrapped.

In post post #21 I said "The most logical explanation for a pre-1965 receiver with aft only dovetails having a 1969 barrel would be, as Lee suggests, that the original barrel was swapped."
Old 11-25-2021, 06:35 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Obviously, you misunderstand. While there are knowledgeable posters on this forum, I've said nothing about Anschutz using older, superseded receivers over a 3-4 year period. Furthermore, I've agreed with Lee's speculation.

My post #22, which you've partially quoted above, was specifically in response to tim slater, who reasonably suggested a backlog at the proof house. I offered an additional possibility, namely that receivers that had not been used in rifles produced in 1964 may have been put to use in 1965 rather than remaining unused or scrapped.

In post post #21 I said "The most logical explanation for a pre-1965 receiver with aft only dovetails having a 1969 barrel would be, as Lee suggests, that the original barrel was swapped."
You're right, I misunderstood. I read #22 as implying the factory was still using 1965-made receivers in 1969, which I still think is unlikely, but evidently isn't what you meant.

I concur with both of your statements in #21.
Old 11-25-2021, 06:55 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanprone View Post
I think it is possible, but only to a limited extent. I'm thinking they may have done it with the 1407 for a period in the 1970's.
Old 11-25-2021, 08:08 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
As noted earlier, that very unusual combination would very much be a sight to see.

The most logical explanation for a pre-1965 receiver with aft only dovetails having a 1969 barrel would be, as Lee suggests, that the original barrel was swapped.

I suppose thatís possible as my bolt is also a single extractor.

I love the rifle and would love to get my hands on two more Annieís with the heavy long barrel.

Old 11-25-2021, 08:15 PM
Hi-NV Shooter

TPC Rating: 
100% (44)
Quote:
I suppose thatís possible as my bolt is also a single extractor.

I love the rifle and would love to get my hands on two more Annieís with the heavy long barrel.

Does the bolt match the receiver serial number? if it does then the barrel was changed.

Lee
Old 11-25-2021, 08:24 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi-NV Shooter View Post
Does the bolt match the receiver serial number? if it does then the barrel was changed.

Lee

It will be Sunday at earliest before I can get home and get it out of the safe.