My 2021-2022 late summer, fall, winter squirrel harvest thread - Page 38 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-24-2021, 09:58 PM
Technician1

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

well now we got the truck outta the way, im glad we can get back to my daily scheduled programing… nice truck by the way!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-24-2021, 10:02 PM
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technician1 View Post
well now we got the truck outta the way, im glad we can get back to my daily scheduled programing… nice truck by the way!

Yeah, I felt naked without a yota. For few days.
Back to hunting for sure.
Squirrel, deer, and yotes.
Need couple deer for meat.
Try out this new coyote call I got.
Old 11-25-2021, 08:53 AM
TRG3

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Squirrel1...Yesterday morning, I put a deer front shoulder in the crockpot and last evening I started a dozen trays of deer jerky. Each slice of jerky is hand cut and it takes 2-3 hours to turn a deer into jerky, a couple of days to cure in my mixture of ingredients, and another 12-15 hours on the dehydrator. I give a bag full of jerky to the farmers who let me hunt on them. I'll be headed out to rabbit hunt tomorrow (Friday) with my buddy and his pack of beagles along with our .410 double barrels. I can reload a box of .410s on my single stage MEC loader for around $4 while it's nearly $20/box in the store, if you can find them to purchase. I've got 269, H110, 4227, and 2400 powders, several pounds of #6 shot, wads, and a couple hundred 2 1/2" as well as 3" shells, so I'm set for a long time. I always pick up any .410 empties I find at the gun range. When not taking a .410, I pick up a SXS 12 gauge hammer shotgun for which I handload with 2F black powder. It's a hoot to shoot and the rabbits don't seem to mind! A 20# turkey is currently in the oven for only 5 people, so I'll be looking for recipes for leftovers.
Old 11-25-2021, 08:56 AM
Technician1

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRG3 View Post
Squirrel1...Yesterday morning, I put a deer front shoulder in the crockpot and last evening I started a dozen trays of deer jerky. Each slice of jerky is hand cut and it takes 2-3 hours to turn a deer into jerky, a couple of days to cure in my mixture of ingredients, and another 12-15 hours on the dehydrator. I give a bag full of jerky to the farmers who let me hunt on them. I'll be headed out to rabbit hunt tomorrow (Friday) with my buddy and his pack of beagles along with our .410 double barrels. I can reload a box of .410s on my single stage MEC loader for around $4 while it's nearly $20/box in the store, if you can find them to purchase. I've got 269, H110, 4227, and 2400 powders, several pounds of #6 shot, wads, and a couple hundred 2 1/2" as well as 3" shells, so I'm set for a long time. I always pick up any .410 empties I find at the gun range. When not taking a .410, I pick up a SXS 12 gauge hammer shotgun for which I handload with 2F black powder. It's a hoot to shoot and the rabbits don't seem to mind! A 20# turkey is currently in the oven for only 5 people, so I'll be looking for recipes for leftovers.

wow! i was looking at mossbergs 500 .410 Turkey, for hand rolling

Old 11-25-2021, 09:24 AM
TRG3

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technician1 View Post
wow! i was looking at mossbergs 500 .410 Turkey, for hand rolling

Technician1...I grew up with a SXS LeFever 20 gauge straight stock double trigger shotgun. My CZ Bobwhite .410 is configured the same way and I feel right at home with it. Some 30 years ago, I had a Remington 870 .410 which I sold after finding a SXS .410 Mario Beschi single trigger non-selective shotgun which I still use from time to time as well as my Winchester Model 37 single barrel .410. With rabbits, I trim off the meat from the hind quarters as with the back straps, pound them with a meat "hammer" before flouring/frying which removes any toughness. I fry the front legs as they are. Add some potatoes, gravy, and biscuits and you've got a meal.
Old 11-25-2021, 09:55 AM
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRG3 View Post
That’s what I do. Give deer meat to include jerky to land owners who let me hunt. They smile when I approach them and say here are some of your fringe benefits.

I don’t dry my jerky usually but about 8 hours. If machine is full. I cut mine with fish fillet knife. You are right can be time consuming. Key to cutting jerky meat with fish fillet knife is have meat still frozen slightly. Meats stands up better for thinner cutting.
Jerky that is too dry I don’t Like. Hard to eat. Tougher.
I vaccum seal when it’s donw.

Cheers.