Old 07-14-2021, 02:45 PM
mr alexander
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Aftermarket Ruger Mark II Magazine Springs

I am having occasional feeding issues with my Ruger MK II. The magazine springs

were replaced with new ones from Ruger. This didn't help matters at all. Have

you ever used any of these aftermarket magazine springs?

https://allchingunparts.com/products...ne-spring.html

https://www.brownells.com/magazines/...rod132726.aspx

Is one brand better than the other? Your comments are much appreciated.

Last edited by mr alexander; 11-24-2021 at 01:39 PM.
Old 07-14-2021, 04:31 PM
Mike_AK
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
https://www.tandemkross.com/Green-Sp...ack_p_516.html
Old 07-20-2021, 02:09 AM

TPC Rating: 
98% (44)
My bet would be gunk from wax lubed bullets gooping up the magazines.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2021, 05:43 AM
wvjoetc

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Also check the feed lips to make sure of no burs or slight bent places.
Old 07-22-2021, 12:46 PM
mr alexander

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)

Racer X and wvjoetc,

Thanks for the replies. I cleaned and inspected my magazines prior to installing the

new Ruger springs. Despite doing this, my feeding issues have continued. Maybe

those new factory parts aren't as strong as they should be. That's why I'm thinking

of trying some aftermarket springs as a possible solution.
Old 07-22-2021, 09:57 PM
wonshott

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
its unlikely that magazine springs are going to make much of a difference in failure to feeds. some things to look at are the magazine follower button and the track it rides in needs to be smooth and not bind. remove the burrs from the track and spin the follower button in a drill with some fine sandpaper in the groove. polishing the barrel feed ramps also helps a little bit. also do a search on cleaning chambers and carbon rings.
Old 07-22-2021, 10:56 PM
Test_Engineer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonshott
its unlikely that magazine springs are going to make much of a difference in failure to feeds.
I agree. My MKII mags have fed untold numbers of thousands of rounds in over 40 years using the original springs. And they still feed with super reliability.

A few questions:
1) Can you describe how the rounds are failing to chamber? I've determined at least 5 different types of feeding failures that have different causes.

2) Can you isolate the failures to a single mag, ammo type, or round # in the stack?

3) Do you have any aftermarket parts or other mods installed?

We can help you get this fixed, but suggestions are only wild guesses until we know more about the gun's status and failure mode.
Old 07-22-2021, 11:51 PM
Rosscoe

TPC Rating: 
100% (38)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Test_Engineer View Post
I agree. My MKII mags have fed untold numbers of thousands of rounds in over 40 years using the original springs. And they still feed with super reliability.

A few questions:
1) Can you describe how the rounds are failing to chamber? I've determined at least 5 different types of feeding failures that have different causes.

2) Can you isolate the failures to a single mag, ammo type, or round # in the stack?

3) Do you have any aftermarket parts or other mods installed?

We can help you get this fixed, but suggestions are only wild guesses until we know more about the gun's status and failure mode.
Old 07-29-2021, 10:10 AM
zukiphile

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Last fall, a 22/45 wasn't picking up the second round in a full magazine if I used sticky/slimey ammunition instead of relatively slick copper washed ammunition. Cleaning the magazine interior did not solve this. I believe this was just that a stack of nine sticky rounds was too much friction for the stock spring to overcome.

I installed the extra power magazine springs made by VQ. The problem has not recurred. https://volquartsen.com/products/132...kiii-and-mk-iv
Old 11-24-2021, 03:23 PM
mr alexander

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)

I finally got around to installing the TANDEMKROSS "Green Springs" into my Ruger's magazines. This corrected the cause of one feeding problem as can be seen in this video: https://volquartsen.com/videos/31. Some of the factory springs that were removed varied in their overall lengths, despite the fact that the magazines are always used in rotation. I suspect that there was a quality issue with them from the beginning.

One frustrating, random feeding failure still exists when the last three cartridges are in the pistol. I will identify them as:

"A" is fully seated in the chamber.

"B" is the top round in the magazine.

"C" is in the magazine below "B".

1.) After "A" is fired, its empty case is properly extracted and ejected.

2.) The bolt then moves forward to chamber "B". It is at this point where the failure may occur. The bolt unexpectedly stops before it is fully closed. Looking into the ejection port, I can see that this round is halfway into the chamber and is positioned in a perfectly straight line with respect to it. The rim is correctly located in the bolt's recess. The extractor is securely engaged on the rim. From all outward appearances, there is no obvious reason as to why the feeding stoppage should have happened.

3.) Removing the magazine tells the story. As soon as it is taken out of the pistol, the bolt will completely close all on its own, chambering "B". Examining the top of the magazine, I can now see that there is a "scrape mark" across the driving band on the bullet of round "C". The case is not negatively affected in any way.

4.) Upon extracting "B" from the chamber, I can see that this live round is "clean", i.e., there is no damage of any kind to its case or bullet. It could have been fired if the bolt had been allowed to go into full battery.

It is very hard to see what is causing the problem. Something is definitely dragging on the the bullet of "C". Is the bolt doing this when feeding "B" into the chamber? Or, is "B's" rim the culprit, as this round is making its way up the barrel's feed ramp?

I have five magazines. Testing shows that the "scrape mark" is present on the last, top round when using every one of them. Sometimes the scraping results in the feeding failure described and, on other occasions, the pistol functions reliably! There is no predictable pattern as to when the failure will occur. It does not matter as to which brand of .22LR ammo is being used. I even resorted to buying a new Ruger factory magazine to try as an experiment. The problem is still there with this one as well.

Would adjusting the magazine's feed lips be a possible solution? What if the front pair were gently bent inward (towards one another) a slight amount? Perhaps doing this would lower the position of "C" in the magazine so that its bullet does not get scraped any longer.

I hope that my problem has been clearly described. All of your comments and solutions are much appreciated. Thank you!