Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-19-2021, 05:48 PM
MilSurplus
US Army Veteran Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Doing some Rifleman training today.

Took my two LTRs, Tom and Jerry, to the Indiana state public range at Camp Atterbury to zero them at 50 yards with SV ammo and then do some ammo testing. Shot all my targets slung up in prone except my last three targets, which I shot kneeling. Shot around 200 rounds.

Both LTRs are Ruger 10/22 Sporters. Tom has the standard 18.5” long barrel, Jerry has a 22” barrel. It turns out that Tom prefers Norma Tac-22 and Jerry rolls with CCI SV. None took as well to three brands of HV rounds.

The attached picture was the last target. I noted on it the rifle and ammo I used, and the three targets I shot in kneeling. There’s a few fliers in there : ( Don’t neglect the small silhouette at the top left. That poor little Redcoat, at 50 yards scaled for 400 yards, didn’t stand a chance.

Good day at the range! Anybody out there doin’ some Rifleman training lately?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6D3A77B3-420E-4086-96E6-D60F37FDCA6D_1637362052091.jpg (175.5 KB, 9 views)
Old 11-19-2021, 09:55 PM
MacGhillemohr
US Army Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Looks like good practice to me! I shot one of my CZ 452 UL's on a couple of AQT's this week, practice went pretty good.

I mainly shoot centerfire rifles with sling each week on KD targets, keeps me limbered up for prone and sitting.
Old 11-20-2021, 04:56 PM
mals9
Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I just tuned up my Appleseed rifle with a new scope this morning. Shoots much better with a reliable scope.

Mals
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2021, 08:51 PM
MilSurplus

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mals9 View Post
I just tuned up my Appleseed rifle with a new scope this morning. Shoots much better with a reliable scope.
Mals,

I am with you on this one. Having confidence in your scope(s) is essential. I finally found two that have served me very well this year in Appleseed and CMP Rimfire Sporter. And I didn’t have to take out a mortgage to buy them (ehem, Leupold and Vortex, yes, I’m talking about you). As long as they will allow me to put 5 rounds in a 1” square at 25 meters, then the rifle, scope, sling, ammo, and I will get along swimmingly : )

Keep having fun out there on the range!
Old 11-20-2021, 09:02 PM
mals9
Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
My last Appleseed was a disaster due to a bad scope. I could never break 196. Today I was putting 5 shots into a 1/2" dot all touching at 25 yards. I will try another Appleseed next summer. I expect much better results.

Mals
Old 11-20-2021, 09:34 PM
MilSurplus

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mals9 View Post
Today I was putting 5 shots into a 1/2" dot all touching at 25 yards.
I bet that felt awesome. I think I can see into the future…I am not sure, but think I see a cleared Redcoat or two in the horizon.

Okay, that’s some amazing shootin’, but how are all the positions working out - prone, sitting, and standing?
Old 11-21-2021, 05:15 PM
mals9
Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Prone is very good, sitting pretty good, and offhand needs work. I practice offhand quite often but it is my achilles heal. My last appleseed I cleaned the shingle so I know the rifle can do it.

Mals
Old 11-23-2021, 09:06 AM
Lawyerman

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Hadn't shot an AQT in over a year. Shot one on Sat.....213. It was ugly. Think I will try to shoot it at least once a month going forward.
Old 11-23-2021, 02:54 PM
MilSurplus

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawyerman View Post
Hadn't shot an AQT in over a year. Shot one on Sat.....213. It was ugly. Think I will try to shoot it at least once a month going forward.
Hey, 213 is just your starting point after a 1 year layoff. Now you have some incentive : )