Currently manufactured SB silhouette scope? - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-21-2021, 03:25 PM
targetsmoker

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Have any of you silhouette guys tried the sightron s-tac with moa 2 reticle?
Old 11-21-2021, 09:24 PM
MManning
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
IMO, the reticle is too busy. I recently switched from a very fine mil hash, to a coarser duplex w/ floating dot, and it was much easier on the eyes for silhouette / offhand shooting.

And that's coming from someone who is a huge fan of the "christmas tree" type reticle for prs / nrl type target shooting.
Old 11-27-2021, 10:51 PM
Chickenhater

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Unfortunately used scopes are your best bet. The market is currently flooded with two variants of tacticool style scopes, the high end (Japanese, US and euro stuff) and the low end, (Chinese garbage).
The older Weavers, Leupolds, Burris, BL, Japanese Tascos... etc... with 1/4 moa adj are your best bets, with a dot reticle or heavy duplex. Forget the mildot and inverted christmas tree reticles, they are too busy and you have enough to contend with in offhand shooting to be handicapped by excess.
Old 11-27-2021, 11:32 PM
MManning
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I got the Athlon Argos HMR that I linked earlier in this thread a few weeks ago.

Really liking the conventional duplex with floating dot. It's much easier to see the dot on the target compared to the fine cross / mil hash reticle of the previous scope. First time at the range with this scope I set a new PB (by 12 points!) in the 25 yd RFC offhand match, and matched my PB in silhouette (practice) as well.

Pros:
The reticle.
25 MOA per turn of turret, so one isn't spinning the turret a full rev or more to go from chickens to rams like my other old school MOA scopes.
Turret clicks are extremely tactile. Almost hard to turn the turret, but you can't over shoot.
Easily available, relatively inexpensive ~$350.
Decent glass. Of course 100 meters isn't much of a test of glass. I've got scopes with better, and worse glass.

Cons:
Turret clicks are really fine. Turret barely moves per click, but since the clicks are so positive this hasn't been an issue.
Some would say made in china. but darn near everything is any more.
Only 20x. If this went to 24 or 25x it would be perfect.

Last edited by MManning; 11-27-2021 at 11:50 PM.