Triggers are a very personal choice…or so it seems! - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-21-2021, 11:34 AM
Tex45acp
US Navy Veteran Fire Fighter NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Triggers are a very personal choice…or so it seems!

Wanting to update my gun I have finally decided on the trigger for my 10/22 take down. I had the opportunity to try a Ruger BX, Kidd and Timney. I even installed and tried the original that came in the gun that had been worked over by a 10/22 aficionado gunsmith. All of which are single stage. The Timney will be the one. It is very well built, breaks like glass and has a 2.5lb pull. I now have 500 rounds through the gun with this trigger group and it has run like the proverbial Timex watch. Takes a licking and keeps on ticking. I have heard and read way too much before trying them myself. I was lucky to have access to others for a hands on evaluation. What’s your favorite and why?
Old 11-21-2021, 11:47 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (21)
Kidd 2 Stage followed by Kidd Single Stage. I love shooting off the bench with the two stage at 3oz/3oz. That little light take-up you can pull to the wall and then when you have your shot lined up exactly where you want it's just another little touch to get that glass rod like break. The Kidd Single Stage I feel has just as nice of a break just without the take-up and at a little bit higher weight.

Personally I like low pull weights on all my triggers. Even most of my EDC guns have around a 2 1/2# break. I've tried almost every trigger available for the 10/22 and the Kidd's have always come out on top for me.

As you said trigger pull is subjective and many of the other triggers I've tried were really good (Timney included), this is just my preference. I don't know too many people who having had the opportunity to try both would choose the Timney over the Kidd, but it's your rifle and if that's the one you liked then by all means.
Old 11-21-2021, 12:18 PM
Currahee506
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Arthritis has been causing me to like lighter triggers. I seem to always start a build with what I have on hand, then as I replace everything I put the onhand parts back to use as a start on my next build.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2021, 12:29 PM
NWFRS

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I ended up with a single-stage Timney as well, although I want to say itís 2 lbs? I bought it quite a while ago. Itís extremely smooth and reliable, as you said. Zero issues with wearing-in or reliability, and crisp as glass.

I had tried a single-stage Jard before that, which was very nice in some ways, but destructive the the factory bolt, and ultimately unreliable.

My buddy went with a two-stage 1.5 lb Kidd trigger unit, and he loves it, although I prefer, and am more comfortable with mine.

Like you said. Personal preference. I do run a Kidd bolt with my Timney trigger unit though, and they work very well together. Zero failures of any kind.
Old 11-21-2021, 12:42 PM
Mike_AK
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I have two single stage Kidd trigger units, a Kidd Trigger Job Kit in a Ruger polymer housing, and a Ruger BX trigger. They are all good, but the best are in the order they are ranked above IMO. There is a very small difference between the Kidd trigger unit and the trigger job kit. In addition to the Kidd hammer, sear, disconnect and trigger in the Ruger polymer housing I also installed the Kidd stainless magazine latch plunger and extra power spring, Sportsman magazine release lever, and Kidd auto bolt release. I did the same on the BX with the exception of the magazine release, but I may end up doing that later.
Old 11-21-2021, 02:29 PM
50Shifty
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I only have one 10/22 a 1974 Sporter model aluminum trigger group . I have reworked the trigger and have reduced the pull weight from 6.5 lbs down to approx 2 3/4 lbs this works fine for me , several squirrels down with it so far. This 10/22 is no way a bench gun but sure is a fine hunter with less then 1/2" groups at 50 yds with CCI SV and just a little bigger with CCI Subsonic HP .