Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-03-2021, 11:43 PM
bugeye
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Rudedawg View Post
I inherited my mom's 3 piece cast iron skillet set and being the oldest of the 3 kids taught me to cook with. I'm 68 and still use them with the 10" one also for cornbread. I pour Martha White self rising white cornmeal mix into a mixing bowl and eyeball the level, add 2 eggs, salt & pepper to taste then gradually add milk while constantly stirring to reach that desired thick soupy consistency. Then pour 2-3 Tbs. vegetable oil into the cooking spray coated skillet, pour in the cornmeal mixture and scrape all the goodness out of the bowl with a wooden spatula, place the skillet in a preheated 350* oven, let it bake and start checking after 25 minutes or so. When the top looks ready take it out of the oven and stick the cutting knife blade in the center and insert all the way to the bottom of the cake, if it comes out clean it's done.
I then call the wife whose patiently waiting with a butter knife and the butter.
Thatíll work.
Old 11-04-2021, 08:26 AM
max503

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lasttombstone View Post
Real corn bread is just yellow corn mean mixed with water and dipped into a hot cast iron skillet filled with hot grease (old time read as lard). Turn it when the tops bubble and take it out when it is brown. Goes with most anything but expecially a pot of navy beans or turnip salad. Always with a generous spread of butter on top.
Tomato pones!!! Mix cornmeal with chopped tomatoes and salt. Fry by the spoonful. Yum.

As far as cornbread goes, I like it all. I like any kind of corn. Period.

Last edited by max503; 11-04-2021 at 08:28 AM.
Old 11-04-2021, 11:04 AM
Model 52
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
When I want to make the wife (a southerner) mad I talk about corn bread back home.

In South Dakota corn bread went toward the oven baked cake like and slightly sweet end of the spectrum. If I mention Jiffy corn bread mix, she’ll tell me to pack my stuff and leave. I don’t think she’d be kidding either as she takes her corn bread seriously.

Here in Eastern NC corn bread is very much on the pan fried hard and salty end of the spectrum. I’m not a fan of that style at all. But don’t tell my wife.

PS. My wife says to tell all the jiffy box folks that they are going to hell, it’s wrong, wrong, wrong and that their grandmas are rolling in their graves,
Old 11-04-2021, 11:12 AM
eflyguy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm not much of a fan but have made it dozens of times for parties.

My own bacon diced up and cooked in a cast-iron skillet, then a pack of Jiffy. Occasionally a diced Chipotle, particularly if for a superbowl party where I was serving my chili.
Old 11-04-2021, 11:33 AM
farm boy
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Just made and hot with butter is all I need.
Old 11-04-2021, 03:49 PM
carbineone

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Do not tell my Wife..But I hate it..She makes it when she makes Chili..Her Chili is great..Her cornbread, not so much for me anyway..
Old 11-04-2021, 03:59 PM
aztarget

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbineone View Post
Do not tell my Wife..But I hate it..She makes it when she makes Chili..Her Chili is great..Her cornbread, not so much for me anyway..
How much are you paying us not to tell her?
Old 11-04-2021, 04:07 PM
carbineone

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Nothing, She thinks I love it, and she will believe me over you anyway,LOL
Old 11-04-2021, 04:09 PM
lesptr
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbineone View Post

Thereís no monetary reason she ever needs to know.
Old 11-04-2021, 05:42 PM
Lovemesomecz

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Cold and rainy here in NC so I baked a cake today - no jiffy ever in this house ! My fiancťe is from Eastern NC so she does the fried cornbread thing - Iíll act like itís good but itís not - but when I introduced her to my jalapeŮo and cheddar hot from my ancient square cast iron skillet she almost ate the tips of her fingers off !!

I donít remember the last time she fried them little hockey pucks come to think of it !!

No sugar no jiffy ... yea thatís the two rules

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-04-2021, 05:50 PM
GladesGuy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Love the Jiffy Mix stuff with a can of Mexican corn and some jalapeŮos diced in. You can use the lard/iron skillet stuff the feed the chickens
Old 11-07-2021, 10:33 PM
JDWinCO

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Yellow corm meal flour , 1 cup each, baking powder. Egg, salt, little oil, buttermilk.

If'na I is feeling a bit high falutin I will sift the dry and mix the wet separate then combine other wise it just goes together in one bowl with a palm full of frozen corn and a can of green chilis. Bake in cast seasoned with bacon grease at 375 until the top cracks.

Hamhocks and pintos or navy beans. Good for a days worth of meals for me.
Old 11-07-2021, 10:56 PM
theLBC

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
recently we have been using the marie callenders cornbread mix.
have added a pound of cooked bacon bits to make it more interesting
i like eating it with chili.
Old 11-11-2021, 06:30 PM
iron85

TPC Rating: 
100% (50)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PEASHOOTER67 View Post
I prefer sweet corn bread so need something to sweeten it.

"The biggest communication problem is we don't listen to understand, we listen to reply"
Add some cream style sweet corn to the mix. Itís fantastic and keeps the cornbread moist.

Iron
Old 11-11-2021, 06:42 PM
NWFRS

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Jiffy.

Butter and honey. Served with a big glass of milk, it basically becomes a meal.