Cycling subsonic ammo reliably while supressed. - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-21-2021, 01:26 PM
XavierBK
GOA Member Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Cycling subsonic ammo reliably while supressed.

Has anyone had any experience running subsonic ammo in their suppressed M4-22?

I only just picked one up recently, fired enough to get sighted in and then took it to an Appleseed event. I feel I could have scored distinguished if I wasn't fighting with failures. I think most came from the bolt not fully cycling which caused failures in stripping rounds from the mag.

I was running Remington Subsonic ammo at the time just because I had a case of it.

I'm picking up some Eley semi-auto stuff to try and see if I have better results.
Old 10-21-2021, 05:54 PM
CJT50
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have reliability problems with Remington sub-sonic in my Tippmann and S&W 15-22 as well. When I shoot either of these suppressed I will run CCI Standard velocity with great results. Depending on the day, 99% of the stay sub-sonic with only the occasional bullet crack.
Old 10-22-2021, 05:43 PM
walesdave

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJT50 View Post
When I shoot either of these suppressed I will run CCI Standard velocity with great results. Depending on the day, 99% of the stay sub-sonic with only the occasional bullet crack.
Same here, I've not had any fail to cycle malfunctions with CCI Standard and it's quiet. Speed of sound = 1125.33fps, CCI Standard = 1070fps.

I don't hunt but run a suppressor so I can shoot without hearing protection; I don't understand why ammunition marked 'sub-sonic' appears to be (in the UK) so much more expensive than 'standard', is it the same in the US?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2021, 06:44 PM
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by walesdave View Post
Same here, I've not had any fail to cycle malfunctions with CCI Standard and it's quiet. Speed of sound = 1125.33fps, CCI Standard = 1070fps.

I don't hunt but run a suppressor so I can shoot without hearing protection; I don't understand why ammunition marked 'sub-sonic' appears to be (in the UK) so much more expensive than 'standard', is it the same in the US?

I donít understand why there is subsonic labeled ammo, when sv ammo is subsonic.
Old 10-23-2021, 12:48 PM
CJT50
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by walesdave View Post
............................... I don't understand why ammunition marked 'sub-sonic' appears to be (in the UK) so much more expensive than 'standard', is it the same in the US?
Yes, it's the same here in the US. Ammo labeled "sub-sonic" is at least a dollar more per 50 / 100.
Old 10-23-2021, 02:09 PM
ardxx

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
no issues cycling with my sandman-s so far. actually wasn't that easy finding subsonic ammo....most i tried was still making a crack: aguila, norma tac22, armscor

finally someone put me onto cci standard velocity tho and thats been great for sound reduction. but again no issues cycling
Old 10-23-2021, 03:28 PM
JTJ
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Some of the subsonic 22lr have heavier bullets (42-45 grain) to make up for the lower velocity.
Old 10-25-2021, 04:08 PM
jeffkoz

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I had almost the exact same problem when I first picked up my Pro. The only .22 the shop had was CCI subs, and I would occasionally get misfeeds. I shot through the box of 100 and had probably 4 or 5 misfeeds, some of which sheared the tip of the bullet, some of which heavily bent the cartridge case.

Either way, once I shot through all of that ammo, I've been running CCI mini mag, Remington Thunderbolt, and Federal HV copper plated HP. Not had a single malfunction since. If I find subs again, I might pick them up and see if they run now that I've "broken in" the gun, or if they still FTF.
Old 10-26-2021, 01:40 AM
drstrangelove

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
About the only thing you can do to improve semiauto suppressed subsonic cycling is use SV ammo or heavy slower ammo ie Aguila SSS, and keep your bolt polished and lightly lubricated in thin oil. While I have heard video comments on suppressed gas blowback with the TME, I have not experienced it, nor any issues in cycling. I did break the gun in mildly by starting with a full mag of minimags. I do not shoot crap ammo in anything but a revolver or a bolt action. Not worth the jams or powder spitting.
Old 11-08-2021, 09:06 PM
n2877

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by XavierBK View Post
Has anyone had any experience running subsonic ammo in their suppressed M4-22?

I only just picked one up recently, fired enough to get sighted in and then took it to an Appleseed event. I feel I could have scored distinguished if I wasn't fighting with failures. I think most came from the bolt not fully cycling which caused failures in stripping rounds from the mag.

I was running Remington Subsonic ammo at the time just because I had a case of it.

I'm picking up some Eley semi-auto stuff to try and see if I have better results.

I had a similar issue. Not sure how old your is but I called tippmann arms and after trying somethings they suggested I got an email number and sent it back to them. They pretty much rebuilt my rifle for me at no cost. Might be worth a phone call

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-15-2021, 03:37 PM
67raregt

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I just blew threw 100 rounds of CCI QUIET 835 fps in my suppressed M4 rifle without any malfunctions.
I've been using Otis dry lube on everything even the mags.

It also will cycle 60 grain 950 fps Aguila super subsonic but you really need a 1:9 twist barrel to shoot those accurately at distances of more than 25 yards.

Give Tippmann some time and I'll bet they come out with many more accessories.

I for one would like to have a 1:9 twist barrel for mine.
Old 11-15-2021, 08:23 PM
Road_Clam

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I got my new Micro to the range a few days ago, and no-go on cycling cci quiets subsonics suppressed. I have the Franklin Armory binary trigger and while i'm disappointed I can't run subs, it by far makes up for it running high velocity suppressed in binary mode !

Last edited by Road_Clam; 11-17-2021 at 01:40 PM.