GSG 1911 22 - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-24-2019, 08:05 PM
AzShooter
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

I got to shoot mine today and was pleasantly surprised with the outcome.

It does feel like a standard .45 but there is no recoil. I shot 300 rounds of CCI Patriot ammo, you know, the Red White and Blue box and had 100% reliability.

I haven't shot iron sights in many years and was wondering how I would shoot the iron sights. I did so well that I'm thinking of using the GSG 1911 22 for Steel Challenge in the RFPI division.

Off hand I shot some very nice groups. This gun is a keeper.

Now I have to clean it.

I did take off the magazine disconnect. I just don't like that feature and defeat it on all my Ruger Marks as well.
Old 07-26-2019, 04:40 PM
JEC
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
I have the GSG 1911. I used to have the Colt/Walther Gold Cup, but it was stolen. Out of the box, I think the Colt is nicer, but not by a lot. I think the difference in price tags is bigger than the difference in quality.

There's also a lot more aftermarket support for the GSG. I got the ZR Tactical "Ultimate "Package" (oddly named, because it's not their top of the line accessories package) www.zrtacticalsolutions.com - and I thought it was well worth the cost. The cost of the GSG and the ZR Tactical package combined was less than the cost of the Colt. It made a noticeable improvement in accuracy, and while the GSG was reliable out of the box, it runs smoother with the ZR accessories.

I also got some Dawson Precision fiber optic sights for it, which were a big improvement over the factory sights. I don't count the cost of those because I got them with an Amazon gift card I received for my birthday, so I look at that as a little manna from heaven.

The trigger's okay, but I want to do something to improve it. Various RFC threads say there are a number of answers for that. I like to tinker with my guns, and the GSG definitely scratches that itch better than the Colt/Walther did.

Not sure how bullseye accurate it can be; for me, anything with iron sights is a pop can and steel plate gun, and the GSG is more than accurate enough for that purpose.
Old 07-26-2019, 05:37 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have one I bought 5 or 6 years ago. Dressed it up with some fake pearl grips and had my gun smith work on the trigger a bit and clean out the manufacturers grease and dirt. It runs fine with about any ammo, but seems to like CCI Mini Mags the best. My wife likes it and shoots it much better than I do. Once my wife shot 2 mags with nine rounds in each. At ten paces she hit 10 bulls and the remaining 8 were in the next ring. Don't make her mad!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2019, 06:51 AM
AzShooter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
After a few upgrades I took the GSG 1911 22 back out Friday for more testing. I had added the Tandemkross accurizing kit which includes a Stainless Steel 1 Piece Guide Rod ,Guide Rod Plug, Guide Rod Spring, Tapered Alignment Cap, Polished Match-Grade Barrel Bushing and Shock Buffer. This really tightened things up and gave me better groups.

I used Blazers for this break in period because I had them and they have the same velocity as Mini Mags. They also shoot better in my guns than most .22 ammo. I guess thing became a little too tight because for the first 200 rounds I experienced a number of jams. Most were just that the hammer was not resetting, but it started working much better after those 200.

Groups were excellent but I was shooting very high. I'm not a fan of non adjustable sights. I ordered a new Bomar look- a- like front and rear sight that should be in soon. I also ordered 5 new magazines, some +4 followers and base pads. I like tricking out my guns.

When I tried to take it apart to clean it I had a devil of a time getting the slide to come off. After some mild coaxing with my plastic hammer it finally slid off to show a number of metal slivers on the rails. Glad I had lots of lubricants on the rails while shooting. I used a patch and got off more metal than I would have liked but I could see where it was binding and I think that after a few hundred more rounds it will be broken in.

This is going to be one of my favorite guns. I did so well with it that I'm not going to bother putting optics on it and I've been shooting optics for the last 30 years. It is so much fun to shoot with the irons and I really felt that my concentration was on the front sight better than it's ever been.

For under $ 300.00 it's a great alternative to the more expensive 1911 clones out there.

Last edited by AzShooter; 08-19-2019 at 06:22 PM.
Old 07-27-2019, 07:57 AM
kirby999

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
I have a couple of the Walther Colt 1911-22’s and enjoy shooting them a lot . They’ll eat anything I feed them , from CCI SV to Velocitors. I love the way they feel .
I,’ve had my eye on a GSG 1911-22 but just haven’t pulled the trigger yet . I’ve read they’ve improved over the originals . Kirby
Old 07-28-2019, 02:43 PM
MacR

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a GSG, like it a lot. Bought it on a whim for a good price and it quickly became my favorite.22 handgun. Reliable and accurate. Biggest complaint is the finish. As the frame and slide are alloy, the finish is a coating. Wears off easily.

Don’t shoot it as much as I once did. Bought a Kimber rimfire target and it gets more use. These days, I usually shoot the GSG suppressed. Nice host for my Surefire
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 576924F9-F5AE-40D5-8BCB-F2D01EA831E1_1564339271626.jpg (522.0 KB, 9 views)
Old 07-28-2019, 08:55 PM
JEC

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
AZSHOOTER, my GSG likewise had metal shaving buildup inside the slide after its maiden voyage of 300 or so rounds. I scrubbed the shavings out with a brass brush, removed all the interior overspray with steel wool, lubed it up, reassembled, and crossed my fingers. That was 1000 or so rounds ago and it was the last I saw of the metal shavings problem.
Old 07-29-2019, 10:15 AM
fpgt72

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I got mine not long after they came out. Fits in the "real" 1911 holster perfect....really use it for draw fire type things....safety setup is like on my 45.

Never really had an issue with it using all kinds of ammo.....if I would say anything about it I would say it gets gooked up pretty quick...but that could be ammo related.
Old 07-29-2019, 03:22 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Dirty fouling 22s and 'wet' lube makes mud, fer sure an certain.
Old 07-29-2019, 06:19 PM
jon p
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Thumbs up GSG and WALTHER/COLT

both pistols give me the satisfaction of shooting a full size .22 1911, love it! there is just something about the feel of that big slide working that is wonderful ! I ended up trading off my GSG when I got the colt, I just like the colt better, not a specific reason. the GSG, right out of the box, ran terrible, I added some tune up parts and it finally settled down. the colt, right out of the box ran 100%, no changes. I don't think there are any tune up stuff made for the colt, not sure.
Old 07-30-2019, 05:19 AM
AzShooter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Next upgrade, I found some + 4 followers and some + 2 base pads to increase my magazine capacity to 16 rounds. Who needs a 16 round mag for a .22? I sure hope I don't miss that much but it's great fun during practice.

I may need new springs for the magazines so I ordered an extra set of those as well.

I placed an order for a set of Bomar (copy) sights for the gun. I hate chasing the target with the plastic sights that come with it even though they gave me 4 extra front sights to adjust elevation. It's easier with adjustables and I didn't have confidence in the plastic sights.

Since the gun is pretty much Colt compliant I even found a mount for my Vortex Viper if I decide to go that route.

I'm having a lot of fun with this gun. If you want a cheap gun to practice with go for it, you won't be disappointed. I already have 3 Ruger Marks but this is quickly becoming my go-to for my shooting bag.
Old 07-30-2019, 10:13 AM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Lol, I havent shot my Buckmark or Ruger MkIII Sporter since getting the GSG.....
Not that it is better, its...just...so...much...FUN
Couple hundred more rounds and Im going to strip it out clean and give it the 'one shot dry lube' treatment. My 10/22 has been working fine with it.
Btw, seems I recall something about the early models had the zinc alloy frame AND slide, that typically is not good as galling may occur on the rails; if that is true and you have one be Dbl Sure you keep those rails lubed! The new(er) ones are zinc alloy frame and alum slide, dissimilar enough that galling shouldn't be an issue. And galling is an interesting self destructive process, once it starts you CANT STOP IT.

Last edited by gcrank1; 07-30-2019 at 03:58 PM.
Old 07-30-2019, 07:45 PM
kidneyboy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcrank1 View Post
Lol, I havent shot my Buckmark or Ruger MkIII Sporter since getting the GSG.....
Not that it is better, its...just...so...much...FUN
Couple hundred more rounds and Im going to strip it out clean and give it the 'one shot dry lube' treatment. My 10/22 has been working fine with it.
Btw, seems I recall something about the early models had the zinc alloy frame AND slide, that typically is not good as galling may occur on the rails; if that is true and you have one be Dbl Sure you keep those rails lubed! The new(er) ones are zinc alloy frame and alum slide, dissimilar enough that galling shouldn't be an issue. And galling is an interesting self destructive process, once it starts you CANT STOP IT.
I am curious how the one shot dry lube works out. My experience with dry lube and these slides hasn't been very good. I use one shot grease or slide glide with good results.
Old 07-30-2019, 09:11 PM
sourdoughjim
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I am leaning toward a Walther/Colt because of the lack of plastic parts. I want something for him that does not entail aftermarket parts to get it running correctly.

Regards, Jim
Old 07-30-2019, 09:21 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Mine has NO aftermarket parts to 'make it run'.
I did put on some fancy G-10 grip panels for self indulgence.