Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-28-2019, 05:14 PM
M2HB
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
FN Mauser (Browning)

Here is a rifle I picked up not too long ago.
It is a FN Mauser with a Browning box and a FN label on the end of the box.
The rifle has FN markings but Browning specific parts such as Browning specific bolt release, safety and bolt handle. These parts are exclusively Browning. It has a dull oil finished stock like a pre 64 Winchester and the stock is numbered to the rifle. All numbers match, but they are FN numbers not Browning numbers.

As near as I can tell it is actually a transition rifle built to see if Browning liked the rifle before the Browning labeled rifles were built. That is the only thing that makes any sense. If so, it was probably built in 1959.
I will try to add some pictures.
Old 03-28-2019, 05:19 PM
M2HB

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)

Old 03-28-2019, 05:22 PM
M2HB

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
It is in like new condition. I don't think it has been fired since leaving the factory. If it has been, it sure doesn't show it.

It is in the great squirrel hunting caliber of .458 Winchester Magnum. It also has the old Mauser Control Round Feed in case a deadly squirrel charges you.
Remember, safety first.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2019, 06:39 PM
'ol shooter
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (126)
Old 03-30-2019, 12:20 AM
vinco

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Wow! Go big or go home, eh? LOL!
Old 03-30-2019, 08:02 AM
matchgrade

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Beautiful rifle. I've had both FN Deluxe Mauser and Browning Safari rifles, from what I can tell they are essentially the same. The machining and finish work is outstanding, nothing like it available today unless you go custom and spend some $$. Looks like a light taper barrel for a .458, it will get your attention! Great find.
Old 03-30-2019, 11:20 AM
M2HB

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
You are correct, they are essentially the same. FN used Browning specific parts on the Browning roll marked Safari rifles. The bolt handle, bolt release and safety thumb piece were different. This particular rifle has all the Browning pieces without the Browning roll marks.

Iíll bet your right, it will get your attention. Iím not going to find out because Iím keeping it NIB as best I can.

I really didnít need a .458 Winchester Mag. However, I didnít buy it for shooting. I figured if someone kept it in new condition for 60 years I should keep the tradition going. Besides, I paid less than the original owner, assuming they paid retail, adjusted for inflation of course.
Old 04-03-2019, 06:12 AM
j.r. guerra in s. texas

TPC Rating: 
100% (42)
That is a wonderful find M2HB, that is a classic rifle from way back when. Its in great condition too.

That .458 should be just the ticket for escaped circus elephants or 'Jurrassic Park' Tyranosaurus - you are good to go !
Old 04-03-2019, 08:55 AM
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
H&R (300,301,322,317), Browning, Marlin, and others brought out Mauser and Sako action rifles under their names in the 70s, generally with great wood, excellent workmanship and great features. Today the costs are generally well below "Market", but some folks are catching on.
Old 04-03-2019, 10:02 AM
M2HB

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
I have a couple of the H&Rs. They came with Douglas premium air gaged barrels and Fajen stocks. They are just as nice as Browning Safaris except they donít have salt wood, in most cases.
Old 04-03-2019, 08:37 PM
M2HB

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
I think the only thing made by H&R on those old Ultra rifles was the butt pad.

They used quality craftsmanship in installing top quality parts on those rifle. If you were to use the same quality parts with a good gunsmith today you would have well over $3000 in the rifle. Just check out what a good walnut stock would cost you. The receiver and bolt alone would be over $1000. The barrel would be between $300 and $400. The cost to hand checker the stock would be expensive. The cost of bluing and assembly would be expensive and you still have the sights and other misc parts to purchase. We should keep the quality of these old rifles a secret.
Old 04-04-2019, 05:57 AM
j.r. guerra in s. texas

TPC Rating: 
100% (42)
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2HB View Post
We should keep the quality of these old rifles a secret.
That keeps the prices down, but the down side is no one else is aware of what a quality component built rifle truly is. These jewels are squirrelled away and seldom seen by many. When persons are given the price of the collected model, they are wondering why purchase that when they can purchase another for 1/5 the cost.

I've run into that problem with high end knives. The younger, less informed knife collector isn't aware of the differences in quality between a vintage knife vs. the newer model with same name. When you inform them of it, they are skeptical, thinking you are attempting to raise the price by exaggerating. A side by side comparison does erase the doubts. Its something to consider if you intend to sell it later.

If its for personal use or handing down to a valued friend - relative, it is a wonderful gift to be cherished.
Old 04-07-2019, 12:16 PM
M2HB

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
J. R., you are right. Many in the younger generation donít understand the difference in quality. A lot of collectors are getting older and their collections are hitting auctions. If a person knows what they are looking for, there are deals out there.

The younger generation appears to have a desire for Tupperware pistols and Black rifles. Many of them have no appreciation for handcrafted quality with steel and walnut.

For me, I like them all, but I put things into perspective. I appreciate old school quality, but I also appreciate modern high quality semi auto rifles.
Very few young hunters have any appreciation for Control Round Feed bolt action rifles. There are some really accurate bolt action rifles that are push feed. Most users and manufacturers donít find a need to CRF because they are more expensive to produce. Unless you have charging dangerous game you probably donít need CRF even if you are a sniper. That doesnít change the fact that CRF is better. Very rarely will a deer charge the hunter and cause bodily harm.

I will continue to look for high quality, old school, firearms at good prices. There are some real gems out there. The good news is that the younger generation may not be competing for these gems.