Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Disassembling, Cleaning, and Reassembling the Ruger 10/22 Rotary Magazine.

61K views 82 replies 66 participants last post by  supersharp 
#1 ·
Hey folks,

I recently found it necessary to clean my Ruger 10/22 factory magazines, as they were having feeding issues. Googling produced some results, but they were not terribly clear, and much swearing ensued.

After successfully wranging with them for a while, I figured there had to be a better way. Thus, I wrote step-by-step directions and took some close-up photographs to aid the directions. I then threw all this together into a simple web page, which is located here:

http://www.heypete.com/pete/shooting/rugermag.html

Normally, I would post it here, but there's a lot of images, and I don't have the time or knowledge to convert all the tags to vBulletin-type tags.

Hopefully this proves useful to RimfireCentral users. Please feel free to send the link to other shooters, post on other message boards, etc.

If you folks have any questions, comments, or suggestions, feel free to let me know. I have a bunch of spare time, a fair bit of guns, and a desire to help people out. I can make step-by-step pictoral guides for the following firearms if there's interest:

* M1 Garand
* Kel-Tec SU-16B
* Yugoslavian SKS M59/66
* Mosin-Nagant 91/30
* Remington 700 BDL
* Ruger 10/22
* Mossberg 500 shotgun
* Glock 19/Glock 26 (essentially identical)
* Bersa Thunder .380
* (and after it arrives) Browning 1919A4 semi-auto.

I can also make guides in regards to magazine disassembly and reassembly for mil-spec M16/AR-15 30-round magazines, how to properly load M1 Garand clips, Glock 19/26 magazines, installing pistol-grip stock on Mossberg 500, manually linking .308/.30-06 for the 1919A4, removing the Bersa Thunder .380 magazine disconnect, etc.

(I realize that those other such guns are off-topic here, but I'll likely make the pages for them in the next few weeks and put them up on my site. I won't mention them here, but if you want to look for them, that's fine.)

I can also make guides showing proper maintenance, cleaning, and care for the abovementioned firearms and accessories. Just let me know what you folks want me to do, and I'll do my best to make a guide for it.

Cheers!

-Pete

See less See more
#57 ·
Just found this - great video.

I've disassembled 8 magizines and found the spring on the original mags were factory tensioned to 12 to 14 flats. Has any one else found this?

So is it best to assemble them to 14 flats? Or should I just stick to the recommended 8?

These are fairly new mags and I was wondering if Ruger has changed the spring strenth (weaker) resulting in the need for more turns to provide the correct tension.

Dave

#58 ·
Hey Pete, I have a new mag from Ruger that will not advance the bullets. I followed your instructions on dis/assembly. Tried again with same results. I then gave it 9 notche turns instead of eight. worked ok with two bullets. I then loaded all ten bullets and now the rotor stays stuck down during the last bullet and will not feed it.
WHAT NOW Please?:(

#59 ·
I just disassembled and cleaned one of my 10/22 magazines that was refusing to feed also. This video and the rest of the instructions were wonderful.

I did find if I tightened the 9/64" allen retaining bolt at the front of the magazine too tight it caused the rotor to bind. Backing it out slightly let the rotor turn freely so don't over do the tightening torque.

#62 ·
Pete,
I'm new to this site, and am learning a lot. I had always assumed that you couldn't disassemble, clean and reassemble the 10/22 mags, because it said not to in the manual. I believe what I read....lol :eek:

While my mags are still feeding okay, they are dirty and grimy and I think I'll be disassembling one to clean it and try it out. Thank you for producing a great video and instructions. It is very clear, and easy to understand.

Regards,

Gary

#64 · (Edited)
Glad I remembered this post after all these years. 10/22 magazine was jamming up and no amount of rapping it on the bench would make it go.

Really put a damper on my range day.

Pulled this post up, executed the instructions and I think I'm back in action now. :bthumb:

ETA: D'oh! Still having feeding problems. Maybe I need to turn it another click or two on the spring tension.

#68 ·
If tightening the bolt all the way makes the rotor bind, that means that the ends of the rotor or the holes they turn in have a slight burr or the rotor is just barely too long. Instead of not tightening the bolt all the way and introducing other problems, just fix the burr and/or slightly sand and polish the ends of the rotor.

#71 ·
Feeble Mag Spring Jam

I took my new / used 10-22 to the range this afternoon to sight in a scope recently mounted, and the last shot on my first magazine jammed.

The spring felt kind of weak when I loaded it - the cartridges about fell in.
I had bought it used at the same gun show where I got the carbine (and later found brand new Ruger mags cheaper at my local hardware store).

Was hoping that ehey could be cranked up a bit, and thanks to these directions will certainly try on this one.

#72 ·
Cleaning agent?

Heypete, in your excellent video on YT (which I found before I noticed this thread, BTW), you mentioned you use CLP to clean the mags. At the local gunstore I did not find CLP but they sold me Gunscrubber Synthetic Safe. Any issues using this? If this is not good, any alternatives to CLP? Thanks!!

#78 ·
To change the subject a bit can you tell me please; Is there any product/item that can be placed on my plastic stock of my TakeDown that will lift my check a bit higher ?
Welcome to RFC. You don't have experience here, it is better not to "change the subject" but rather to start a thread asking your question. This particular thread doesn't get a lot of traffic, try posting in the "Anything 10/22" section for more answers.

#79 ·
Cleaning the 10/22

Some years ago a good friend showed me how to disassemble and re-assemble my 10/22 for cleaning. I think This very easy process should be learned and used by all 10/22 Owners...and that knowledge passed on to new owners.

Just this past weekend I offered to upgrade my Brother-in-Laws 35 year old 10/22 with a new Synthetic Buffer with one of the "Tuffer Buffers". My 'BIL' (brother-in-law) told me he had NEVER disassembled his 10/22 for cleaning. I warned him that we would find the bolt and receiver area very dirty....And we did too!!!! With some Hoppe #9, A Brush and some Slip2000 we turned this great old rifle into a very clean and smooth operating 10/22. He also learned how easy and valuable this knowledge really is.

I encourage everyone who owns this great gun to follow the links provided here or go to "youtube" to watch and learn how to disassemble and re-assemble your 10/22 for cleaning.

IT REALLY IS EASY!!!!!

You won't be sorry!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gary Fields, 68, Vancouver, Washington

#80 ·
I figured I would bump this thread with a comment as opposed to starting a new thread since this seems to have all the info in one spot.

I just disassembled, cleaned and reassembled 3 Factory Ruger 10/22 magazine. Each one of them had the spring tension of 2 full 360 degree rotation or 12 sides of the hexagon. Not sure if Ruger changed anything over the years but just sharing my experience. I have noticed some others in this thread found the same thing when marking their magazines.

#83 ·
I have not read through this whole thread and I'm sure many have said to use the Borelsport 10/22 mag assembly tool .I personally have one and use it and it works great .He also has a video on the website and instructions included on how to use it. As far as cleaning goes nothing more than an oily rag is ever needed for removing all the carbon and fowling buildup .Once its apart I wipe it with a clean dry rag removing any excess oil and put it back together with the Borelsport tool and you should be good to go!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.