Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Expensive Cooper .22LR Magazines!

4K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  2500X 
#1 ·
Well, I had to send in my relatively new Cooper 57M Custom Classic because, even with fewer than 100 rounds through it, the ejector plate fell out. Seems that the screw that holds it in place came loose(!) and it slid forward and fell out. Hard to shoot it or eject a shell when that blasted thing isn't there.

I found the ejector plate and spring but couldn't find the screw.

I called and talked with Glen, the gun smith, and he said this does happen and needs careful adjustment when re-installing. He said send it in and, if it didn't look like it was abused, they would fix it and reimburse me my shipping charge.

Long story getting it there (NEVER use USPS!) but Glen and Brandon, who I had also talked with, were quite nice about helping out. It was their error and they are reimbursing me the shipping cost.

But, I had also talked with Ian, the general manager, about my issue with this new Cooper rifle that I bought new for a hefty price. I asked if they would give me an additional 5 round .22LR magazine for my troubles with this new rifle.

He told me they pay a lot for these magazines and have not found any way to get them cheaper. He agreed to sell me an additional magazine at their cost. After Glen finished fixing and test shooting the rifle, I talked with customer service about getting another couple mags for it at their cost. I reminded her that Ian told me I could buy them at their cost.

Well, I was told that they would be over $90 per magazine! I e-mailed Ian and asked about this. The $90+ charge is actually over their listed, full retail price on their website. He didn't even offer to correct that discrepancy. Yep, he said, the $90+ charge was their cost.

Well, I don't believe that was honest. After all of the polite repair help, I think the price I was being offered for all of my hassle with a new rifle that fell a part was wrong. He said they just pay a lot for these magazines.

Why wouldn't they be able to find a way to get these cheaper? Doesn't Anschutz make similar magazines much less expensive?

I don't care that they polish the floor plate and put their logo or something on it.

Cooper still has some customer service issues to deal with. I appreciate their fixing a manufacturer's defect but the mag issue leaves me less than satisfied. For $3,000 for a new Cooper rifle, they could give us 2 mags!

If anyone can direct me to which Anschutz mags to get, I would appreciate it.

Thank you!

See less See more
#7 ·
When I inquired about ordering a firing pin . . . they did not tell me that each one had to be fitted to the bolt.
When I ordered a set of bases, giving my credit card information, and found out just how steep the shipping was, the order was cancelled. Two weeks later they arrived.
Mind you, if one can afford a Cooper they must be able to pay for the add on toys.
Like the photobucket pictures appearing on this site and Cooper owners opting for the "Free" plan.
I have some aftermarket magazines and some Anschutz and they all have a catch in that they don't want to pick up the first round.

#8 ·
You were entitled to repair of the rifle. Period. If you get that, if you get the gun back without handling marks, consider yourself lucky, and forget about it.(Years ago, I had to send in the same "expensive custom classic" rifle three times, and it still wasn't right in my eyes and that's with never firing a round through it.) Nice for them to pick up your shipping cost, but to expect more than that, or a deal on magazines for your troubles, is beyond a reasonable expectation. It's just business to them, and they treat it as such. The cost of the rifle has no bearing on it, and frankly, $3k isn't a lot of loot in the higher end gun market.
I know of no rifle that comes with two magazines.
Complaining about expensive magazines for an expensive rifle, is like complaining about the fact that your Mercedes requires premium gas.

#10 ·
I know I'm not alone in this kind of problem from what Glen, the Cooper gun smith, said.

And, I don't expect something for nothing. I just thought I'd ask and see what happened. I would rather they just say "no" but I feel like they were not totally honest with me.

#13 · (Edited)
Whig, I had a similar experience with Toyota . I bought a new car for my daughter and the driver seat belt wouldn't fasten. Took it in to get it fixed and As I don't like the donut spares, I asked if I could get a free real wheel and tire like was on the vehicle as a spare for having to bring the car in for something that wasn't my fault. The parts manager wouldn't do it but agreed to sell me one at their cost. Well, I figured their cost was pretty low so I called the sales manager and reminded him that the parts manager said I could buy tires at their cost. I figured I would get three more cheap and have a full set. Well, turns out I could buy them elsewhere for less money.
Like you, I was just wanting to see what they would say and would have not accepted one for free if they would have offered it. But it ticks me off that they wouldn't offer to give me one or sell me several cheap after the parts manager said he would let me have one at their cost. I know their cost ain't that high. I paid $21,000 for the car . Talk about customer service needing some work! My wife sided with them and said I was overbearing!

#14 · (Edited by Moderator)
Mags

Hey whig

The Anschutz 1710 mags work in the 57m ,I have both
Cooper Montana Varminter and 1710 D HB..

They both accept 5 & 10 round mags and are the same price
Here in Canada $89.

As well the .17 HMR Anschutz interchange Anschutz &
Cooper and cost the same for the 4 round mags .

Some threads have said that Savage magazines wotk
but they dont function well
For me .

#15 ·
Coopers uses factory Anschutz magazines, they remove the floorplate and put on the Cooper floorplate, nothing more done to them than that.
The Savage magazines do work but you have to careful when inserting them because they can be pushed in a bit too far and the bolt catches on the back of them causing a non-feeding issue.

As far as the ejector plate, if the person is even slightly mechanically inclined and has at least a basic capability of being able to discern how it works then installing it is no problem. IMO the biggest issue with the whole design is the small screw allen screw that holds the ejector plate in place, the allen socket on it is so small that it is near impossible to get tightened sufficiently without stripping the allen socket portion of the screw. I can understand why they would use such a small screw though, the reason being is that many folks think things are not tight unless they are "gorilla tight" and the shank of the screw is so small that it would be easy to twist it into if overtightened.

drover

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.