Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-04-2019, 04:28 PM
HyFiveGuns

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
CCI 30gr VMAX vs. Hornady 30gr VMAX ?

My understanding has been that these two rounds are identical and are in fact both produced by CCI, both are 30gr VMAX at 2200 FPS. The only differences between them being, a) silver case vs. brass case, b) brand headstamp, c) red polymer tip vs. yellow tip. When I've shot them both side-by-side at 50 yards, I've gotten identical POI's and comparable groupings although sometimes the CCI's were better, but I attribute that more to that particular lot than the brand especially if my first assumption is true.

However, when I look them both up on my Strelok app, the CCI is listed with a BC of 0.118 and the Hornady has a BC of 0.095. Now, it's not a huge deal, but it does affect the drop calcs at longer distances a little bit and that could be the difference between a hit or a miss on a small critter. Thinking it might have been a mistake in the app, I called CCI and they told me 0.116 (close enough) for their 30gr VMAX. I asked them why different from Hornady and they had no answer.

Thoughts?
Old 09-04-2019, 07:08 PM
jaia
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
The vmax bullets are produced by Hornady.
Brass, primer and powder from CCI suppliers.
Assembled at the CCI plant.
Should be the same bc.
Old 09-04-2019, 07:18 PM
SquirrelBlaster
US Air Force NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Not sure the reason for the different numbers, but I have 3 22 mag rifles and they shoot identical.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2019, 08:04 AM
motown82

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I was shooting both of these last weekend out of my new Ruger. I found the accuracy to be just about the same, however with the CCI ammo I had 3 misfires out of 30 rounds and no misfires with the Hornady's.

I checked and there was no light primer strikes at all and all 3 rounds that misfired the first time went off when I tried them a second time. That there pretty much made me lean more towards using the Hornady ammo instead from now on.
Old 09-06-2019, 09:10 AM
jaia

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
You do realize the label may say Hornady, but the cartridges are made by CCI, right?
Both come out of the same plant, off the same assembly line, with the same technicians
using components from the CCI supplies. The only differences are the head stamps, tip colors,
the label on the box and date code. Quality differences are due to the production lottery.
Some times CCI gets it right, some times they don't.
Old 09-06-2019, 10:24 PM
HyFiveGuns

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Jaia, yes I do and in theory they should be identical which is why I don’t understand why CCI and Hornady are indicating different BC’s for what should be the exact same round.
Old 09-07-2019, 08:44 AM
Plainsman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Any chance one variable is different between brands?

Maybe one uses a slightly different powder?

Maybe its a calculation difference? In the ballistics world there are multiple ballistics coefficients depending upon velocity...

Lots of reasons it is listed differently, have to ask the companies to find out the real reason.
Old 09-07-2019, 10:28 AM
HyFiveGuns

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plainsman View Post
Any chance one variable is different between brands?

Maybe one uses a slightly different powder?

Maybe its a calculation difference? In the ballistics world there are multiple ballistics coefficients depending upon velocity...

Lots of reasons it is listed differently, have to ask the companies to find out the real reason.
CCI couldn't (or wouldn't) give me an answer. I haven't called Hornady yet, but probably will next week.
Old 09-07-2019, 04:59 PM
HyFiveGuns

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
OK, now I'm even more confused. I was comparing the Hornady 30 VMAX (83202) versus the CCI VNT 30gr Polytip (969CC) and not the CCI VMAX (0073)..

Both the CCI products have the exact same specs except the 969CC have nickel cases and yellow tips and the CCI Vmax have brass cases and black tips. Aside from this, I have no idea what the difference is, except that I thought the 969CC shot a little better than the Hornady. Now I'm thoroughly confused.
Old 09-08-2019, 10:21 AM
glennasher
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyFiveGuns View Post
Jaia, yes I do and in theory they should be identical which is why I donít understand why CCI and Hornady are indicating different BCís for what should be the exact same round.

Marketing, nothing more than marketing.

I "have heard" that when XXXX company produces a bullet with a YYY ballistic coeffient, then ZZZ bullet company will say THEIR bullet (very similar) has a BC of YYY+1, regardless of what the BC might really be.

I heard that from a company rep, so you might take that into account.
Old 09-11-2019, 12:02 PM
Bad-Paper

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
There are differences between the Hornady and CCI V-Max rounds but I couldn't tell you why. My Rifles seem to show the differences.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Savage 93GL vs CZ 512.jpg (277.7 KB, 2 views)
Old 09-11-2019, 12:28 PM
jaia

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
My Rifles seem to show the differences.

Try larger sample sizes and use a chronograph.
I've been doing just that for over a year.
50 and 100 shot samples and tracking the chrony numbers.
Much as we'd all like Federal, Hornady, Norma, Speer, Fiocchi and Remington
to be of different quality than the CCI labeled 22wmr, they aren't.
Variations in results have nothing to do with the labels and everything to do
with the differences in day to day production at the CCI plant.
It's all CCI ammunition with different labels, and accuracy depends
on just how tight the tolerances were on the assembly line that day.
Will you be sold Monday ammo? Wednesday ammo? Friday ammo?
Ammo from the morning with the machines freshly adjusted,
or afternoon ammo when things have loosened up due to wear and vibrations?
Was Albert, the foreman with serious OCD, in charge...or did Bubba Joe run the line
and just wanted to get it over with because it's only a paycheck, not an obsession?
Welcome to the rimfire lottery, some days are better than others at CCI.

Last edited by jaia; 09-11-2019 at 12:43 PM.