Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

br barrel vs. 1958 barrel

2K views 27 replies 5 participants last post by  earnest 
#1 ·
are todays bench rest barrels better, more accurate than say a 1958 made barrel? would be nice if we had a new 1958 usmc 40x 27.250 lite palma to compare with todays:D top is from a new, has around 10,000 rounds thru bolt. bottom is from my bench rifle that is also fairly new. 20,000 total rounds roughly.

See less See more
#11 ·
Well Marty, let's find out.
Since your calling it "New" with roughly 10000 rounds fired, should be just broke in.
I suggest you put a scope on it and shoot the next ARA match with it and see if it does as well for you as the modern benchrest barrel did in the last match.
The gauntlet has been laid at your feet! :cool:

#13 · (Edited)
Marty, great shooting! I love it when someone shoots aperture sights! My favorite thing to do!

Have a few questions though...

Did you shoot those with a scope and tuner installed? I ask as you mention in one post that a certain lot had some issues when using a tuner. Were you referring to the target shot or are you saying with a scope and tuner in general?

I know it's harder for me to shoot the A23 with a scope than with apertures. Actually, I stink when trying to shoot an A17, A23 or A25 with anything but apertures. Too much space in the x ring I suppose...

That really is some nice shooting if shot with apertures. But, why are you comparing a factory rifle when shooting aperture sights to a custom barreled rifle shot with a scope? It's a completely different animal.

And I'm not trying to be a goober, but you and I both know most of these factory rifles (40x, 52D, Anschutz 54 action) rifles with decent aperture sights and someone who knows what to do can blow out the x ring on an A23 at 50. In most cases, those same groups won't cut it when you spread all 20 shots out over an ARA or IR target. Yes, sometimes they will, but heck, sometimes any of use do well on an ARA or IR target:D

Not trying to put you down. I really do enjoy seeing anyone shoot aperture sights. But not sure what you're trying to show. Other than not needing a tuner to shoot a target that if shot on an IR target would possibly be a 246 or 247. Maybe a bit better, but still...

Now, if you want to show what that same rifle would do sans tuner on an IR or ARA target, then go for it. I could dig around and show piles of targets shot with factory barreled 40x, 52D and Anschutz rifles shot with both apertures with scopes , in factory configuration, no tuner and scoped, or scoped with tuners. Have shot a few decent targets with those factory guns and no tuners. Both with apertures and with a scope in formal BR matches. Even won a thing or two along the way. But I'm not stupid.

Not saying you're right or wrong or even indifferent. Just don't understand what you're trying to prove showing how your factory gun shoots with apertures and no tuner. It's a different target, shot a completely different way than what a BR target is shot. Am sure you have shot a pile of 200/20x targets on an A23 that would translate to a mid pack or below finish on a BR target. If not, I can send you a pile of them!

Yes, I've shot some aperture targets that would translate to very good scores on a BR type target. But, those little bitty shots that wash out to the edge of the x ring and barely hang on...they wouldn't be 10's on a BR target.

Just wondered what your point actually was.

Thanks

Kenny

#16 · (Edited)
Looks like you use Olympics? Why? That insert is thin, you like those? Is that a Shaver or is my mind playing tricks? Never liked thin line inserts. But do prefer the cross beams. Just liked a heavier "look" for the actual ring.

If you're adjusting for conditions, why not use adjustable fronts? Just curious...

Kenny

Edit, to answer the question you posed to lowrider...a rifle that can group in the "2's" on an A23 when shot with apertures doesn't mean much to me when you shoot it with a scope and move it 25 times on a BR target. But it might be me... but again, I have piles of targets shot with apertures that have a tiny hole in the x ring from all 5 shots. Even have targets with a tiny hole in all 4 scoring bulls. But, you and I both know you're only moving the rifle 4 times. And you're shooting four 5 shot groups basically. And, just one shot that leaves that "one hole" might be an easy x on that target but is a 50 or a 9 on a BR target. Two or three of those and you're mid pack in a BR match. Just curious why you're showing these targets.

#17 ·
No Marty, I did not make any claims either way. It could very well be just as accurate as a modern benchrest barrel. I for one would love to see you prove it in a sanctioned match.

I've never been lucky enough to own an American made production rifle with factory barrel that would compete against any of my purpose built bench guns but I do have a Suhl and an Anschutz with factory barrels that on a good day with just the right ammo can be competitive.

So how about it, put your benchrest scope on that thing and take it to the next ARA match so we can all see your scores from a sanctioned match.

#19 ·
No Marty, I did not make any claims either way. It could very well be just as accurate as a modern benchrest barrel. I for one would love to see you prove it in a sanctioned match.

I've never been lucky enough to own an American made production rifle with factory barrel that would compete against any of my purpose built bench guns but I do have a Suhl and an Anschutz with factory barrels that on a good day with just the right ammo can be competitive.

So how about it, put your benchrest scope on that thing and take it to the next ARA match so we can all see your scores from a sanctioned match.
if I go to future matches I'll use the last of the center x I have. thought about putting a scope too see how accurate that is, might try lot # 2248 this week in it. that lot is the one slick willy says won at chicken foot..6-17 for both relay targets..marty

#28 · (Edited)
the real advancement has come in ammo, quality rests, wind flags. all the others such as slab sided barrels or the barrel flavor of the month, 6oc pin, etc. etc. etc. is for the most part noise..marty

funny thing about that rws, about 5 years ago tom c and I bought several cases of various manufacturers from a fellow at fairchance that was quiting. I think we paid $8 a box, never tested that rws until now, figured I would shoot up the wolf me first...might have to try some in my bench rifles...lol....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.