Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

FN Browning SA 1958 versus Made in Japan 1982 Compatability notes

3K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  M2HB 
#1 ·
I now own an FN Browning SA from 1958(SN#361xx), and another one, from 1982(PY).

As I need a scope, for my old eyes, and because of curiosity, I tried if compatibility, between the rifles.

1958 Barrel is not tapped.
1982 Barrel is drilled and tapped for barrel attached scope mount

1958 Receiver is grooved
1982 Receiver is not grooved

Barrel Assembly, Complete: fits, on both Receivers
Trigger Assembly: fits, on both receivers

Barrel Lock Nut: fits on both barrels
Barrel Lock ring: 1958 Ring fits on both Barrels, 1982 doesn't fit on 1958 Barrel.

Frontends does not fit. (Can likely be fixed)
Frontend screws fits between the years.

Butstock: servicesable, but not perfect metal to wood fit
Butstock bolt and spacers: Compatible.

Magazine spring assembly: Compatible

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
My 1958(SN#361xx) attaches the stock, with the Mag Tube.
Please be aware, that it is an FN Herstal Browning Patent, not a US Browning.

It could be, that he manufacturing date is wrong, because it is a FN Browning serial, not a US Browning.

I haven't measured the stocks, but both rifles looks virtually identical.
The Buttplates are identical.

Also the butstocks looks identical, but I haven't compared the loading gates, between the stocks.

Both have the Beavertail Frontend.

#6 · (Edited)
what was the deal with the adjustment ring lock?, why would it not fit older barrel??, I have two remington model 24s I need the complete set up for and i plan to use the browning stuff, but it don't say what year they're from, I found a kit that has everything, even firing pin, springs, and all locking stuff, it has the newer browning wheel, (adjustable ring), I'm leery to buy as it's pricy, before getting feed back, also have questions about my shorts inner magazine tube, which only the long is available, and some say it doesn't work in the shorts, any suggestions?

#9 · (Edited)
thanks for responding, I've seen a couple different styles it seems for the Browning, one don't have a threaded end it seems at butt nose, and clicks into the feed ramp or whatever it's called on these, but then I've seen threaded ends on both sides,I think they changed from old to new style??,, the other difference I've noticed, is, I think the Browning is steal, and the Remington is brass, i need a tube for Remington 24, and the Browning ones seem to be half expensive, is the reason I'm asking questions.
Wood Gas Bumper Metal Auto part

#10 ·
I'm having a heck of a time finding a front sight for my older Browning SA22. It's an about 1964 or so. The dovetail base is a bit wider than the usual 3/8" dovetail found on later made 22s. About .410". When I bought the gun I figured "how hard can it be ....?" :(

#11 ·

ive been buying up alot of sights lately, as im building x3 Remington model 24s, im not sure what youve been trying, but ive been buying whole lots of like 10+ front sights for $30+ish, just to pick and choose the sights i want, i did just buy a 1965 or older Browning sa 22, without a receiver, and the front sight looks similar to everything else at a glance, what sights have you tried?, ive bought a few new in bag still luman #3sights in all ranges of widths and heights,, everything looks the same from the remaining 12, 24 241, even tje marlen brand, seems to use same stuff, unless im mistaken, or stuff is miss labeled, i have not installed anything yet, but maube lyman has a measure list you can go off of and just find that sight??, but these auction lots kits ive been buying have a sortment of sizes for cheep, just google your needs and itll show you everyone selling that item at the moment, its been working for me, but im nkt sure what im buying til after i get it and can look it up. heres the sight on the browning i just got, if you screen shot my front sight, then go to your gallery, and use the google eye, itll find that item by similarly, and hopefully show you one for sale, but id look into lyman #3 sight specs, find something that matchs your needs, going rate is about $16delivered for something like this one

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.