Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

1958 Belgium Browning SA-22

4K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  varmit hunter67 
#1 · (Edited)
I recently bought a Browning SA-22 that may have been made in 1958. Condition is very good bluing with wood having finish flaking and some scratches. It has the stock screw under the grip area, wheel sight, large loading port and serial number on butt plate plus front of receiver group and a grooved receiver. Not sure of year but maybe someone can help but I think 1958. Serial is 29851. Top of barrel marked Browning Arms Company St Louis Mo. Made in Belgium. On the barrel at both sides of the rear sight is .22 Long Rifle and Browning Patents. Just thought to share since it may be an early import with different features of later years.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Wow! Small world! I just bought the same rifle at a gun show yesterday! According to my S/N, mine was made in 1959.

Something odd however. I wasn't aware the S/N was stamped in the front of the receiver until I read your post. I only saw the S/N on the rear of the stock on the ring surrounding the magazine tube. In comparing the two numbers I found the S/N on the receiver is 1,060 lower than the number by the mag tube.

Even with the difference, both numbers would still indicate a 1959 build date.

According to the dealer I purchased it from, and I trust him completely, he bought the gun from the original owner who purchased it new in 1962,

Any theories on why the numbers would be different??? :confused:

#9 · (Edited)
this is not unusual. Particularly on the earlier guns and on the higher grades. I read in the Browning 22 SA book by Tyler that he would be surprised if they did match. He was speaking about the grade III's at the time, but I would not worry about it. Pretty sure it would be original. And I suppose the REAL serial number of the gun would be on the front of the receiver.

Charlie

#4 ·
Early Browning SA-22

I do not know why the spread in the two serial numbers on the same gun. Someone will have a good understanding. Another difference I found was in the trigger group housing between the 1958 model and a 1963 model I have. The 1958 model is a bit more difficult to put back in the receiver. I will try and attach a picture showing the difference.

Attachments

#5 ·
I do not know why the spread in the two serial numbers on the same gun. Someone will have a good understanding. Another difference I found was in the trigger group housing between the 1958 model and a 1963 model I have. The 1958 model is a bit more difficult to put back in the receiver. I will try and attach a picture showing the difference.
I haven't taken mine all the way down yet. Will be interesting to see which trigger group was used in the 1959 model. Thanks!

#11 ·
I had a wheelsight SA-22 that I bought from a friend of mine that had no serial number on it anywhere, including the front of the receiver. I looked everywhere.

I ended up selling in it back to my friend. He also couldn’t find a serial number on it. It definitely did not have a serial number.

#12 ·
My '59 ATD has the extra groove in the trigger action. My 1925 Remington Mdl 24 has the same groove. I haven't tried it, but I bet the two trigger groups would fit in either frame.

I have mentioned before, but my ATD has two serial numbers. The one around the magazine rod is different from the one on the face of the trigger group. I don't believe I have seen the SN$ on the butt plate before...

I have a bunch of bolt actions now [CZs, CZ99s, Savage, etc], but the ATD is my go to .22 for squirrels and rabbits and generally just a fun gun to shoot moving targets and swingers. :D

VH :eek:man:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.