Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-17-2019, 03:22 PM
BobSc
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Blue Stain on Maple stock

I have been working on a couple stocks and almost done with the Fiddleback Maple stock for my 40X project. Last week it got up to around 100 degrees around here and I was working in the shop on the maple stock and sweating like crazy while trying to get some small details finished before finish goes on next week. Where my sweat was dropping on the stock it left blue stains on the maple. I was able to sand most of them off, but in some areas the stain seems to go down into the wood for a bit and I'm having a hard time removing it.

I would really rather not have this show up in my finish if I can help it- have you guys had something like this happen and how did you remove it from the stock? Would acetone or thinner remove the stain? I don't want to make it worse before finish...

TIA,
Bob
Old 06-17-2019, 03:49 PM
Desert Pete
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If you could just sweat all over it, a blue stock might be interesting. If you don't want a blue stock, I would try bleach to remove the stain.
Old 06-17-2019, 06:49 PM
GladesGuy
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Try Barkeeper's Friend. It has oxalic acid as it's active ingredient that works well on maple wood that has been stained with sweat and dirt. Mix it in a cup with water to make a thick slurry. Apply the slurry to the stained wood and let it sit for a few minutes, then work it over the surface with a toothbrush.

Old 06-17-2019, 08:09 PM
BobSc
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Not so sure I would want to put something like that on a raw piece of wood without finish on it. Especially big leaf maple, which is pretty open pored...

Bob
Old 06-17-2019, 10:16 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You may not want to do it NOREMF/George's way then. https://www.rimfirecentral.com/rfcft...r%20Option.pdf
Old 06-18-2019, 12:18 PM
GladesGuy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My method is a lot less extreme than the "nuclear option" George recommended in his post. In fact, George and I discussed it at length in various PMs. Oxalic acid has been used for centuries in bleaching wood and is a lot less damaging than concentrated bleach. I learned of it from a guitar maker friend that uses it to clean old maple fret boards in preparation for refinishing. It will not harm the wood in any way. The worst that can happen is that it does not work and you have to revert to George's nuclear option. I sure miss George
Old 06-23-2019, 11:39 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Cleaning up and slightly bleaching English walnut stocks with oxalic acid followed by a neutralizing solution is standard practice for some stockmakers. It was discussed in Steven Dodd Hughes' stockmaking seminar I went to a few years ago. Might as well give it a shot.

I miss George a lot too.
Old 06-24-2019, 11:22 AM
BobSc
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
What would you use as a Neutralizing agent?

Stock is just about ready for finish now, but with some test pieces I've put Truoil on another with Lacquer on, they are both a bit more amber than I wanted on this lightly colored piece. I may be just stuck with the color as it is simply the color the wood is, but I was hoping for one of those very lightly colored - almost white- stocks this time around as the fiddleback is outstanding on this piece of wood...

Water based finish possibly? What say ye?

Bob
Old 06-24-2019, 12:01 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (74)
Send a message via AIM to Chaser
Not sure why the Lacquer is yellowing.. I would suggest rattle can Clear Lacquer in your choice of Gloss, Semi or Matte... clear Lacquer in my experience is just that.. CLEAR... and durable.. and usually 2-3 mist/light coats and then 1 wet coat does the job nicely.. I like Deft.
Old 06-24-2019, 12:10 PM
BobSc
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaser View Post
Not sure why the Lacquer is yellowing.. I would suggest rattle can Clear Lacquer in your choice of Gloss, Semi or Matte... clear Lacquer in my experience is just that.. CLEAR... and durable.. and usually 2-3 mist/light coats and then 1 wet coat does the job nicely.. I like Deft.
I'm pretty sure it isn't the lacquer ambering the wood- it is probably the natural color of the wood with finish on it. Pretty normal for this big leaf maple in the Northwest. I was hoping there was a way to bring out a lighter color but wishing won't make it so....