Taurus Mini Review - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-15-2019, 12:48 PM
jerryd
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (41)
Taurus Mini Review

This review is slightly adapted from one I did on another website

The Taurus TX-22

Been meaning to do this review for awhile and had originally planned on doing a more extensive review... But this kind of thing gets shelved due to family and work obligations. jimmyp's mention of his interest in the TX-22 on another thread/website finally got me off my duff.

Not really a Taurus fan (though not a hater either), I have only had one other Taurus... one of their J-Frame sized 22 LR Revolvers (4-inch barrel). Was my wifes, it was accurate but I never really shot it that much except to see how well it shot and to sight it in. Basically when it comes to revolvers I feel that You should save more and Just buy the real thing... a S&W. My wifes Taurus eventually went down the road for the real thing. When it comes to semi-auto's (rimfire & centerfire) there are so many other options, that I do not feel compelled to go to Taurus, but the reviews and the Spec's for this 22 LR pistol grabbed my attention and I had to try one.

Barrel issues; If you go over to rimfirecentral you will see a number of issues with the barrel rifling. Specifically serious chattering of the rifling. One poster claimed that the chamber on his was cut off center, it is really hard to tell looking at pictures because if the camera is off center just a little bit it can be an illusion. Hopefully they have ironed out the problem by now, BUT I would not buy one sight unseen. I picked mine up at a local dealer and used a bore light to insure that there were no issues. In spite of using a bore light to inspect before buying... my pistol leads when using CCI blazer, not an issue I have with any other pistol.

The gun is light, it weighs approx. 16 ounces (w/o a magazine), the sights are adjustable, has a picatinny rail on the dust cover to which I mounted my weapon light with no issues... living in the woods this makes it handy for dispatching skunks, racoons, possums and other night marauders. The grip fits my hand (between a medium and a large) like it was made for me, I am not speaking only of the grip size... the ergonomics are probably the best of any 22 LR pistol I own (or have owned). This is touted as the only striker fired 22 LR pistol, it is striker fired (which others such as the M&P22 are not, While the Advantage Arms Glock conversions are of course striker fired). It has a manual safety and the trigger is also a safety... the style I like much better than Glocks bladed trigger safety... it is smooth across the face with no projecting blade. The trigger breaks at approx. 4 pounds & 9 ounces, pretty consistently. The re-set on the trigger is very short, shorter than on my Glocks. The slide is aluminum while the frame is polymer. The magazines do hold 16 rounds as advertised. You can get them direct from Taurus, were at my door in about one week. Taurus offers the TX22 with 10 round magaines if you live in a state that has magazine capacity restrictions.

Suppressor use; The barrel is threaded and comes with an adaptor for a suppressor. The barrel is free floating (not solidly mounted to the frame or the slide) and due to a combination of this and my stainless suppressor's 1/2 pound plus weight it does not run well with my suppressor on. I did watch a youtube of 22 plinkster and his ran pretty flawlessly with a suppressor on.

Accuracy; I shot mine on paper at 15 yards, I do not shoot it that well, for me it groups in approx. 1 1/2 inches with flyers bringing it out to 2 inches or so (benched). In my book it is a plinker... I feel the reason I do not shoot it any better is due to the light weight of the pistol. Even so shooting it at my steel spinners (4.0 inch diameter) out to 50 yards I hit them more often than I felt I should considering the poor showing at 15 yards.

Reliability; I ran approx. 350 rounds of CCI 40 grain AR 22 LR (looks to be the same as mini-mags but in a 300 round pack) before experiencing a malfunction. I stopped cleaned the pistol and the mag's and ran 600 rounds through it with four malfunctions... at #370, #440, #470 & #510 (two #440 & #510 were from the same magazine). I removed the loading buttons from the magazines thinking that perhaps they were binding. The gun seems to have the same rate of malfunctions even with the loading buttons removed though. The magazine is semi-staggered, if that makes sense... I am keeping the magazine buttons off as it is actually easier to load without them and more importantly they stagger alternately when pushing rounds down one at a time vs. using the buttons some of the rounds will not stagger (alternate one side to the other); however this has not resulted in less malfunctions. I presently have around 1,500 rounds plus through this gun... the malfunction rate is the same as it started with... The malfunctions are failures to feed with the bolt partially riding over the cartridge. Next I will see if I can locate a slightly heavier magazine spring and see if I can reduce the malfunction rate.

Should you consider buying this gun?
Looking for an accurate squirrel sniper or a beginning bullseye pistol... Absolutely Not!
Looking for a fun plinker with high capacity magazines, something to train with, to shoot steel or a pistol to keep the varmits from decimating the chicken population... Then an enthusiastic Yes. I have several 22 LR pistols and revolvers already and try to keep the number reasonable, but for me this pistol is staying due to the fun factor and for a gun to have others to shoot at my range.

Jerry

Last edited by jerryd; 06-15-2019 at 12:58 PM.
Old 06-15-2019, 02:26 PM
wbwanzer
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Glad you're liking your TX22 Jerry.
I've had mine for almost two months now. I've got 500 rounds through it with zero problems. Mine has light 'chattering' but it shoots pretty accurately, I think. I'm probably the biggest limitation to it's accuracy. It's just a fun gun. The trigger is really nice. I took my wife out to shoot it a few weeks ago and she really enjoyed it. Mine is definitely a keeper.
Old 06-16-2019, 06:08 AM
rws53

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
chamber was cut off center

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kyjSWCj61A

Old 06-16-2019, 02:47 PM
jerryd

TPC Rating: 
100% (41)
rws,

I do not doubt anyone who says their chamber is cut off center.

I tried to take a picture to show mine was good and had problems lining it up accurately===> after watching your youtube it looks like a video is a good way of showing it.

Thanks for adding to the discussion.

Those that have had chattering in the rifling and/or off-center chambers, what has Taurus's response been? I've got guns from both Ruger and S&W that had issues, I do not feel they should have passed quality control, but both Ruger & S&W's customer service is top notch because they take care of the problem. So the question is, is Taurus taking care of the problem(s) or not?

Jerry
Old 06-16-2019, 04:24 PM
rws53

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryd View Post
rws,

I do not doubt anyone who says their chamber is cut off center.

I tried to take a picture to show mine was good and had problems lining it up accurately===> after watching your youtube it looks like a video is a good way of showing it.

Thanks for adding to the discussion.

Those that have had chattering in the rifling and/or off-center chambers, what has Taurus's response been? I've got guns from both Ruger and S&W that had issues, I do not feel they should have passed quality control, but both Ruger & S&W's customer service is top notch because they take care of the problem. So the question is, is Taurus taking care of the problem(s) or not?

Jerry
My first experience with Taurus CS was a call about the rear sight. It did not have "clicks" when turning the elevation screw and therefore would not hold a setting. They sent me out a new sight promptly. The new sight had the same problem. I have read reports of others with the same problem.

The second experience was to deal with the chamber that was cut off center and bad chattering on the barrel lands. They replaced the barrel and sent the gun back in like 10 or 11 days. The replacement barrel was worse than the original as far as chattering on the lands....chamber seemed to be centered. And this barrel leaded badly.

Called them back about the bad replacement barrel and sent it back to them again and also asked if they could do something about the rear sight problem as I forgot to mention it the first time I sent it in. They've had it for 5 weeks now out of a possible up to12 week turnaround time. My guess is they don't have any good barrels on hand and could be a long wait till they do.

Both times the gun was sent back the CS lady noted my problems and I also included a letter explaining the situation and pictures showing the bad barrels.

So far they have not taken care of my problems...we'll see what I get back.

You said your barrel leads even though you inspected it before purchase with a bore light...could you expand on that?

Last edited by rws53; 06-16-2019 at 04:37 PM.
Old 06-16-2019, 06:28 PM
jerryd

TPC Rating: 
100% (41)
RWS,

My barrel has no visible chattering... but it is not the smoothest barrel and more than likely the roughness is the issue. I was reluctant to send it to Taurus customer service as in the past I have heard the joke 'that they must have sent it to South America' due to the time it takes them to return a firearm from warranty repair... so even though it may inavalidate the warranty I chose to firelap the barrel. First round did not resolve the issue, so I will give it another run later.

Jerry