HELP!!! Mags Sticking!!! - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-18-2019, 02:27 PM
Spunk_Puppy
US Air Force NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Unhappy HELP!!! Mags Sticking!!!

Guys, my new Ruger Mk IV Standard is a neat fun and is reliable and cool.

But when I go to slide in a new loaded magazine, more than half the time, the magazine seems to snag or get caught on what seems to most likely be the magazine release latch inside the grip. I have to jiggle the mag and then itíll go in but is a real pain in my nads.

What to do guys what to do???
Old 05-18-2019, 05:04 PM
bob finger

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
First determine if it happens with every magazine or only one. If only one mag then I'd set that mag aside for closer inspection. Does that magazine go in smoothly if you push on the magazine release while inserting the magazine?

2nd clean the mag well paying particular attention to the area of the mag catch/release. A 9mm bore brush works well.

3rd obtain a new magazine catch/release and replace the one in the gun.

With most magazines you will feel a "catch" as you insert a magazine. It is moving the magazine release catch out of the way. If you want them ALL to go in smoothly you either need to tune the gun or simply push on the mag catch when inserting a magazine. This is not unique to Ruger MK pistols. bob

Last edited by bob finger; 05-18-2019 at 05:09 PM.
Old 05-19-2019, 12:10 AM
Flash_80

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Does your mag release button have a full range of motion? Mine got crudded up after about 6000rds and had this issue. Pulled out the mag release, cleaned the crud out of the spring/plunger hole, and no more problems. Wouldn't expect it on new gun, but you never know.

Old 05-19-2019, 08:00 AM
jon p
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
my new MKIV standard

was doing the same thing brand new, mag would not eject fast and smooth like my MKIV target does. I could feel mag dragging when it went in and out. gun had to go back to ruger for other problems so they fixed that too while they had it. repair order stated "replaced grip frame, mag latch", among other things! it was the pistol from hell ! now all is well, mags shoot out when release is pushed. I just got a bad one I guess.
Old 05-19-2019, 09:34 AM
Test_Engineer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Spunk_Puppy,

Your problem was very common with new MKIIIs, but it's been fairly rare with new MKIVs. You're correct that the mag is most likely hitting the bottom of the release during insertion.

First, remove the left grip and check the screw that holds the latch in. Tighten it up if it's loose.

If it's tight, make sure the bottom of the screw head is flush against the frame. If not, there may be a burr on the screw hole you will need to remove.

If the screw head is flush to the frame, your problem should be gone. But if not, you may need to take your release out and add a small taper to the bottom like in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxlvlIllyks

I had to do this and add a mag guide to my MKIII frame to solve the issue.

Eventually, I chose to make a teeny shim to hold the release further into the frame. This fix would have been enough by itself, but it's a major pain compared to my first fix and it shouldn't be necessary on your MKIV frame.

Let us know how you progress!
Old 05-19-2019, 06:09 PM
Spunk_Puppy
US Air Force NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Test_Engineer View Post
Spunk_Puppy,

Your problem was very common with new MKIIIs, but it's been fairly rare with new MKIVs. You're correct that the mag is most likely hitting the bottom of the release during insertion.

First, remove the left grip and check the screw that holds the latch in. Tighten it up if it's loose.

If it's tight, make sure the bottom of the screw head is flush against the frame. If not, there may be a burr on the screw hole you will need to remove.

If the screw head is flush to the frame, your problem should be gone. But if not, you may need to take your release out and add a small taper to the bottom like in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxlvlIllyks

I had to do this and add a mag guide to my MKIII frame to solve the issue.

Eventually, I chose to make a teeny shim to hold the release further into the frame. This fix would have been enough by itself, but it's a major pain compared to my first fix and it shouldn't be necessary on your MKIV frame.

Let us know how you progress!
Aweomse!! Iím away from my Allen key set so donít have a way to remove the grips right now, but once I get back to my bench Iíll use some needle files and bevel the latch as shown in that excellent video. I figured itíd be something like that. Thank you so much for the help, this is a great gun!!
Old 06-16-2019, 09:16 AM
tnaka

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hi!

I have the same problem with my new Mark IV Hunter. Mags get stuck so that it won't eject at all and I don't have the streght to press mag release. A sharp punch with wood dovel releases it. First it seemed that it was only the 2 additional mags I bought and the ones that came with the gun worked perfectly, but now it does it with all mags. I have changed out grips, but I think it did it also with orig. grips too. Mags works ok when gun is cleaned, but the problems comes back rather quickly ~100 rounds. But it must be a crud build up issue, but I haven't taken the mag release because I did not have proper key for it. Anyways it shouldn't jam up so quickly, but I wouldn't want that it would be shipped back to Ruger for repairs, because sending it from Europe to Ruger takes a loooong time. It has been already shipped back to Ruger because of the issues mkiv had with the safety.
Old 06-16-2019, 10:22 AM
Test_Engineer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
@tnaka, your problem is with releasing mags - like Flash_80 had in post #3. The OP's problem was with inserting mags.

One of the design problems with Mark pistols since day 1 has been the barrel face is milled around the feed ramp which allows powder residue to spray down into the trigger parts. And when the push-button mag release was introduced with the MKIII, the release would also catch crud. This wasn't addressed by Ruger with the MKIV design either.

You might try something like a spray brake parts cleaner aimed at the right side of the release shaft to flush the crud out. That may work for you, but the problem will eventually return. You might look at the "Blast Shields 101" sticky in the MKIII forum. These shields keep the trigger and release pretty clean and work well in all pre-MKIV pistols. They would work well in a MKIV also if you can find/make a way to hold one in place.

If I had decided to keep my MKIV, I would have pulled the frame lug (part #2 in the exploded schematic) and milled a notch in the vertical front face to allow a blast shield tab to fit thru. Cry once, as they say. At least you don't need to send your Hunter to Ruger to fix your problem. Good luck!
Old 06-16-2019, 10:52 AM
tnaka

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hey Test_Engineer!

You are absolutely right that I'm talking about different subject. My brain just automatically linked OP's problem with my "sticky mag" problem, allthough I read the first post. Sorry about that.

I blasted the magwell already with brake cleaner and also tryed to blast mag release. I also dissambled the mags fully and cleaned those with ultrasound cleaner, which was not as smart move as i thought. Those plugers and springs seem to insta-rust. Maybe next time just brake cleaner blast those too.

We'll see if that makes the release any better.