Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-29-2005, 01:02 PM
Vincent
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
"Space Age" 17Mach2 Nylon 11

For those of you old enough to remember the early 1960's there was a term used "Space Age" for modern or High Tech. The Nylon 66 Remington semi was "Space Age". Fewer people know that the 66 had bolt action brothers. They were the Nylon 10 (single shot) Nylon 11 (magazine fed) Nylon 12 (tube fed). In reality the Nylons were really just the 510, 511 and 512 models in Space Age clothing. Of course they shot the same old 22 LR. They were made for a little over two years from 62 thru 64 and in the case of the Nylon 11 there was something like 22,000 made. A Nylon 11 was one of the very first real guns I ever shot. I was ten or eleven and it was a friends. IWANTED that rifle. It took me over 25 years to find another and about 12 years ago I did. Okay, you think, that's quaint so what is the big deal. The big deal is that now there is a cartridge that matches performance and looks to the Space Age looking Nylon 11.

Several months ago I had the chance to build a rifle that I had been kind of daydreaming about. Our resident Mossberg Guru tfrank was converting a Mossberg Semi to 17M2 and pulling his hair out with the thing. We came up with a scheme to convert a Nylon11 to 17M2. At the time and pretty much still everybody was wanting to convert 10/22's but I thought the round would really lend itself to a bolt action conversion and tfrank was kind enough to listen to these ideas and offered to help. It also intrigued me to think that I may have the only 17M2 Nylon11 in the world. So off we went. LET ME MAKE THIS CLEAR without Frank's help and guidance this project would have never gotten off the ground.

So on to the nuts and bolts. I contacted www. e-gunparts.com or Numrich arms and ordered a Nylon 11 barrel and Brownells to order a .17 cal liner in 1 in 10 Twist. During this period Skeeter27red also got into the discussions as we had become friends and he had a good bit of experience with the .17. When I got the stuff in house they were packed up and sent on a Big Brown Truck to Frank to work his magic. And magic it was. It is all but impossible to tell this barrel has a liner in it. Frank's work was beautiful. Then I realized that I had Problem #1. I never compared the barrel sent by Numrick to the one in the gun but when I got it back from Frank I realized that I had a 24" 17Mach2 and the oringinal was 19.5"!!! Luckily it was the same .625 diameter as the orignal. Did Remington make a 24" Nylon 11? I really don't know.

It may be asked why I did not just line the original barrel? Well the 11's are getting scarce and mine is in pretty nice shape and I wanted the option of puttng it back to oringinal. Now my thoughts are even turning to forgetting about originality and I may be building this into a switch barrel rifle. To make a long story slightly shorter the new barrel fit like it was made for it. I had a Remington Nylon 11 carbine in 22 LR. Now I have a Nylon11 Rifle!!

Next installation will be Range testing and break in etc. Any way....here we go. Thanks again to tfrank and his beautiiful work. I woulds also like to thank Don Buckbee for his instructions on working with the 511 trigger and Skeeter for his more generalized help. I hope you enjoy this little series and I'm going to invite Frank to jump in on the technical parts of lining the barrel and for some pictures he has of the barrel's muzzle. Thanks all, Vince

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzOn6GqNFdk
Old 06-29-2005, 02:26 PM
Blazer037
US Army NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Awesome! First .22 I really shot out on my own was a Nylon 10 that was also my friends. This gives me encouragement. I'm going to have to have a chat with tfrank...

Get some pics up when you can
Old 06-29-2005, 02:53 PM
Tacoma
US Navy

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Very interesting ( and has potential to take off.) The nylon series were made for a LONG time and in huge quantities. Great guns way ahead of their time . Very "pointable and light yet rugged. One of the cool features of the nylons was that you could place a single round in the ejection port recess, pull the bolt back and it would single feed a round very reliably. ( A handy feature for a "behind the door gun") Just curious if the your 17M2 flavor still retains this feature?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2005, 02:56 PM
newshooter04
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
welllllllllllllllllll

vincent and frank u continue to educate me, i never knew the nylon rem. come in anything but a auto.great idea and i hope a lot of people continue to use this great round in diff. rifles.
david
Old 06-29-2005, 03:03 PM
Vincent

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Tacoma, as stated in the post, the Nylon 10, 11 and 12 are BOLT ACTION and were made in very limited quanities. They are based on the 510 series with the "beehive" bolts. Only about 22,000 were made and they were only made for a little over two years.

Blazer, I'm hoping Frank will jump in as he has some pictures. At this point I have no way to post pictures.

I will add that with the magazine and feed system it was almost like they were DESIGNED for the 17M2. The mag for instance accepts the 17M2 but with only about .040" to spare!! Feeds without any problem. I think this will be true of many bolt action 22's. This is an interesting way to convert that old 22 sitting in the closet and make it something special!

Old 06-29-2005, 03:07 PM
Vincent

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by newshooter04
vincent and frank u continue to educate me, i never knew the nylon rem. come in anything but a auto.great idea and i hope a lot of people continue to use this great round in diff. rifles.
david
Mr. 04. Good to hear from you. I know you like the 17M2. The Nylon 11 is an almost perfect little woods gun as it is very light and the stock is not bothered by the elements. For those squirrel hunters that like bolts it is pretty cool.

Old 06-29-2005, 07:24 PM
Skeeter27red

TPC Rating: 
94% (23)
Coolest Mach 2 ever made!

Nothing is better than that Vince, nothing! I don't think your project can be "Topped", except to complete a collection of each of the Nylons converted to HM2!
A perfect 10!
Old 06-30-2005, 12:06 AM
steinie

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sweet..

Wanna see pics.
Old 06-30-2005, 08:50 AM
markpixs

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Vincent, now you got me thinking about changes I should make to my Nyllon 11, if I pull it apart for repairs. Do you think the longer barrel could be from a 511? I want to see photos of it with the rifle barrel.
mark
Old 06-30-2005, 09:14 AM
Vincent

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I thought about whether this could be a 511 barrel but the blown up pictures from Remington show the 511 with dovetail slots for the sights and the barrel has holes drill and tapped like the Nylon11. It actually looks better with the long barrel then I first feared. It gives the rifle a long, slender appearance that grows on me more and more. I figure I can always shorten the barrel if I want but this would drive poor tfrank nuts I fear as he really put alot of work into the muzzle of this one and it is beautiful. If you go to his thread on relineing the bolt action Mossberg he has a picture of two muzzles and mine is the one on the left. You really can't tell it is lined. Period. If I cut this barrel back and recrown it will leave a faint line where the lining is anf tfrank is a very proud craftsman and I think it would break his heart for that to happen. I will search for his thread to post the link. As for pictures of this rifle I have no digital camera and don't know how to post them if I did. I'll ask around as it seems people want to see it. If you can post a piture of a standar Nylon 11 please do it as most people reading this have no idea what one looks like.

Old 06-30-2005, 09:26 AM
Vincent

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Muzzle pics

If you go to this thread and I believe it is post #25 you will see the muzzle before blueing, looked much better after blueing. Mine is on the left:

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...7&page=2&pp=15

Thanks again to tfrank. I expected him to be chiming in by now I'll guess I'll have to dig him up as he is a fairly modest guy!

Old 06-30-2005, 09:36 AM
Vincent

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Costs Involved

If you have a 22 that you want to do something like this with it is pretty ecomonical. I bought an extra barrel because I wanted to preserve the collectability of my Nylon 11. That cost about $47 from www.e-gunparts.com which is Numrich Arms. The liner cost about $35 from Brownells. They offer two twists. 1-9 and 1-10. It is the 1-10 that you will want. Then there is the cost of for tfrank to drill and reline the barrel and rechamber. His prices are reasonable but you will have to discuss them with him as each job may be slightly different. Suffice it to say that if you use the barrel on your 22 bolt action, pump or lever it brings the price way down as you are not paying for a barrel. Semi autos are another story as most of you probably know.

Old 06-30-2005, 10:52 AM
DoubleD
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Oh, now you got me thinking! My favorites are the 580 series Remingtons....humm!
Old 06-30-2005, 11:31 AM
Vincent

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
To be honest a 580 or 581 is a better choice than my Nylon 11 as far as conversion goes. You can do things I can't like glass bed. I have my first range trip in and will be reporting that later today or tomorrow. The point I'm trying to make here is that MANY 22s are really easy to convert. WAY easier than converting the 10/22 as far as not fighting cycle issues. Not knocking those guys, not at all. But if you have a locking breach 22, especially a bolt, this is NOT hard to do.

For reasons that will become evident I chose perhaps THE most difficult bolt action to convert but I will explain that during range report. By the way, actual "work time" on my conversion so far......less than 1/2 hour! Tools required? One blade screw driver, one pin punch and one small hammer! This is not brain surgery. How many of you have a 22 leaning in the closet because you have other stuff and the excitement has kinda gone out of it? You can convert it into the latest state of the art cartridge for a very reasonable price.

I can tell you, once you shoot the little 17M2 you will not regret it, not for a minute. Just think, if you have a bolt that never quite shot all that great because of a mediocore barrel, all that barrel is now is a shell! Wait till you look at the muzzle the first time and see that tiny little hole. Looks like a freaking BB gun and DOUBLES the velocity of standard velocity 22. This is fun. That 22 has a mid range trajectory of about 3.5 to 4 inches at 100 yards right? This little thing has a midrange of a little over 1/2 inch! The other thing is that it will most likely be a good bit more accurate. Even if it wasn't it is easier to hit with due to velocity and trajectory.

Can you tell that I like this? Sorry about getting preachy but it really IS cool.

Last edited by Vincent; 06-30-2005 at 11:33 AM.
Old 06-30-2005, 01:35 PM
Vincent

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I have been doing some research and find that Remington did indeed produce the Nylon 11 in the 19.5 inch model (like mine) and a 24 inch model (like my 17M2 barrel. I even have a picture I found at Nylon Rifle Group at Yahoo but that shows one of each but I have no idea how to post it. HELP! I have this piture saved to My Pictures in Windows.