Firing HM2 in HMR gun - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-16-2005, 02:16 PM
2506hunter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Question Firing HM2 in HMR gun

A friend is asking this question which makes sense when you think about the .22 short vs 22 LR theory.

Can you fire an HM2 round in a rifle chambered for the HMR? I understand accuracy would suffer but why would it be different than firing a .22 short in a .22 LR chamber?

Anybody out there done this?
Old 06-16-2005, 02:18 PM
AK
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I have never done it and don't plan on doing it either. Use the correct bullet for the correct rifle and you can keep all your fingers and other parts.
Old 06-16-2005, 02:55 PM
PawPaw

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Chamber size

Same difference as 22LR and 22Mag. Chambers are not only different length, they are also different in diameter. You can probably make your gun go bang, and you may be picking little pieces of brass out of yourself. Don't go there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2005, 02:56 PM
2506hunter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I agree 100%, but I was asked to post and see what the general concensus is. I would assume everyone is going to say the same thing. I have a 8x57 Turkish Mauser that I won't shoot because the bolt closes really hard, and that tells me that something may be wrong.

Thanks for the reply.
Old 06-16-2005, 03:03 PM
Paul Mohr

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Completely different guns, don't do it.

Paul
Old 06-16-2005, 03:24 PM
fw707
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
There's a lot more difference than the .22 short, LR, or Mag comparison.
The .17's are bottleneck cases---the .22's are straight walled. The shoulder of the HM2 round won't reach the end of the HMR chamber, and the bullet doesn't come close to contacting the rifling in the throat area.
You've got a pretty good area there for the gases to expand, and you'd better hope the bullet makes the jump aligned with the bore.
It's a REAL BAD IDEA!!!

Last edited by fw707; 06-16-2005 at 09:41 PM. Reason: Spelling correction
Old 06-16-2005, 08:30 PM
DEADGOPHERS

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That would fall in the category of "Bubbas" famous last words........Hey Ya'll watch this"!!
Old 06-17-2005, 07:19 AM
DWARREN123

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Please, only fire ammo in firearms that are chambered for it. There are some firearms that will shoot more than one caliber but this is not one of them!
Old 06-21-2005, 03:07 PM
dipodomys

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It's an interesting question though. The .17 Aquila can be fired in the HM2 chamber although the chamber is longer than the Aquila round. The bottleneck tends to blow out forward and the accuracy is not great. The HM2 in an HMR chamber would be a much greater challenge. The bullet will tend to skew at an angle unless the case mouth is perfectly concentric, (I've never seen one that is) and will tend to peen the forward edge of the bottleneck chambering in the chamber. It is a jacketed bullet. Being a jacketed bullet it will likely scrape off copper fouling on the forward edge of the bottleneck, inside the chamber. Because of the larger diameter of the case it will probably split the case as it does when you fire a .22LR in a .22Mag chamber. It won't be good for the chamber in the rifle, so I sure wouldn't try it in a high dollar rifle, and because of the probable split case I wouldn't try it in a semi auto either. It would be an interesting experiment in a low dollar, solidly breached rifle which could easily have the chambered barrel replaced, withought great expense. This is assuming that one is intelligent enough to bag it in and fire it remotely. No one is going to be pecuniarily liable for this kind of experiment except the idiot performing it. Might just try this and give you an answer back on what happens.
Old 06-21-2005, 04:08 PM
PawPaw

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Powdered sugar is a white powder; arsenic is a white powder, therefore we should use either on our doughnuts. Duh...Homer would be proud of your reasoning.
Old 06-21-2005, 04:57 PM
The Ol Redneck

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Firing 17HM-2 in 17 HMR

Because I shoot both and usually have several of each in my pockets on the weekend, a friend and I was having a talk about this right after the 17 HM-2 came out. So I put one in the chamber of a Ruger 77/22 mag that had been converted to a 17 HMR and pulled the trigger. Blew the shoulder of the case out, and bullet went about 4" down the barrel. The 17 caliber bullets are fun to remove from barrels. Gained a lot of experiance at it trying to work up subsonic loads for some of the small case 17 caliber center fires. Can you say "Dumb Redneck"? Take the advice of the others that posted and said "Don't try it". The 17 Aguila case is long enough to still seal the chamber in a 17 HM-2. The 17 HM-2 doesn't even come close in the 17 HMR chamber, and you will have some gas blow back. It is one thing to build something, stick it in a tire or gunvice, and pull the string from a safe place. It is foolish to stick something in a gun and pull the trigger with your finger not knowing what is going to happen.
Old 06-21-2005, 06:39 PM
tweak'e

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via ICQ to tweak'e
well i suspect you could make an adaptor so the hm2 is held correctly and has a sholder for the round to sit on but at the end of the day whats the point? no matter what you do accuracy and speed are going to be lost. it would be easier and cheaper (not to mention safer!) to go buy a cheap 17hm2 rifle.

i can't see why anyone would buy a nice accurate 17hmr rifle and then dumb it all down with crap rounds. how many people would buy a top end target rifle then go use inaccurate elcheapo rounds.
Old 06-22-2005, 07:41 AM
dipodomys

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sorry Tweak'e but thousands do that. Probably just because they don't know any better. The answer to the original question is that in the rifle I tried it in the M2 round did not go bang. The firing pin just barely hit the rim and left a tiny dent at the very edge of the rim. The head diameter of the HM2 is enough smaller than the HMR that the rim wouldn't seat and hold against the firing pin blow. And no I'm not going to try it with one of my good rifles.