Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-02-2005, 08:14 AM
rrwildlife

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Volquartsen 17HM2 Bolt

Hi all,

I replaced and Eabco bolt handle with a volquarsen bolt on my 17HM2 conversion. Now the bolt handle is smashing into the reciever and caused a ding. Anyone else have this problem? Just curious, I plan on shooting an email off to Volquartsen today.

Heres a pic

Regards,

Ryan
Old 06-02-2005, 09:56 AM
Plinkerbob

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yep

Im getting the same thing. Noticed it after the second trip to the range a couple weeks ago. I was going to beef up the buffer thickness somehow as it looks like the bolt is shorter than the factory bolt (havent measured, just a guess) or the grove in the back of the receiver is larger so its not hitting the buffer before the handle smacks into the receiver. Was also thinking of getting some of that rubber dip that you can use on rope and tools and dip the handle in that to get a rubber buffer on it as well to help reduce the force going into the receiver. Please let us know what VQ says, my guess it they'll recommend their pinned bolt buffer.
Old 06-02-2005, 11:43 AM
rrwildlife

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Plinkerbob,

You would think if Volquartsen though a pinned buffer was necessary they would send one with the kit instead of the urethane buffer. I'll let you know what they say when I get a reply. I sent pic's also.

Regards,

Ryan

P.S. What kind of groups are you getting out of yours?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2005, 01:14 PM
DEADGOPHERS

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I had the new VQ bolt and purchased a urethane VQ buffer as was recommended by Herm at Hornet Products and had NO problems. He had said didn't think a standard buffer would be sufficient.....guessing he was right?

P.S. Bolt buffer didn't come with my conversion....had to pay extra
Old 06-02-2005, 02:12 PM
rrwildlife

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I recieved an inital e-mail from Nic at volquartsen. According to him they have never heard of this problem. He asked if the gun was ever shot without a bolt buffer, which of course it wasn't.

I'm curious as to why my bolt came with a buffer and apparently some others have not. I sent the packaging information along to Nic and will let you know when I recieve info.

Ryan
Old 06-02-2005, 02:51 PM
RICOCHET

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
RR,

just out of curiousity, as i have the EABco conversion, but why did you switch to a VQ bolt handle ?

thanks

Old 06-02-2005, 05:16 PM
Slant

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I would've had this problem but Reed/Dakotan warned me about it when I was asking him about buffers for the 17m2 so I relieved that area with a round file before I shot it, also my bolt kit came with a clear urethane buffer,I got my kit from MidwayUSA.
Heres that part of the email I got from Reed.
"If you're using a Ruger receiver, keep an eye on the back of the ejection port when using the VQ Bolt. The VQ's Bolt Handle may or may not smack the rear of the ejection port. I'm not sure if they've gone to a smaller diameter Bolt Handle these days or not. The most you'd have to do is relieve the rear of the ejection port slightly for clearance and it'll run just fine.
I've had LOTS of people tell me that's what they've done to run the early production VQ CNC .22LR Bolt in a Ruger receiver with my Buffer."

Hope this helps.

Shing
Old 06-02-2005, 06:47 PM
rrwildlife

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Ricochet

I just didn't like the looks of the Eabco Bolt handle, it just looked klunky to me, although I had no issues when I used it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RICOCHET
RR,

just out of curiousity, as i have the EABco conversion, but why did you switch to a VQ bolt handle ?

thanks
Shing,

Thanks for the info, I'll see if I can get VQ to admit there mistake, if not I'll take a file/dremel to mine. Just out of curiosity who's buffer are you currently using? I have yet to try anything other than a VQ.

Ryan

Last edited by rrwildlife; 06-02-2005 at 06:52 PM.
Old 06-02-2005, 06:57 PM
gtcontender

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Had the same on my build also. Found that the buffers would just compress out because of the space behind them in reciever. I replaced mine with one with a steel rod inside and no more problems but have noticed a every so slight bow in rod after firing a couple hundred rounds. Think this is one of the little glitches that are only discovered over time.
Old 06-02-2005, 07:09 PM
Slant

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
rrwildlife
I was using the clear one that came with it but I'm going to switch to a Weaponkraft buffer once I get my bolt back from VQ, I've got a firing pin problem

Shing
Old 06-03-2005, 02:35 PM
Plinkerbob

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrwildlife
Plinkerbob,

You would think if Volquartsen though a pinned buffer was necessary they would send one with the kit instead of the urethane buffer. I'll let you know what they say when I get a reply. I sent pic's also.

Regards,

Ryan

P.S. What kind of groups are you getting out of yours?
Great groups considering I still have the factory trigger pull. Have got them sub .5 inch at 50 yards. I have VQ's SS BBL as well. What kind of BBL do you have?
Old 06-03-2005, 02:49 PM
Plinkerbob

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slant
rrwildlife
I was using the clear one that came with it but I'm going to switch to a Weaponkraft buffer once I get my bolt back from VQ, I've got a firing pin problem

Shing
On Weaponkraft's site it says they recommend not using their buffer with VQ bolts.

"CAUTION! THESE BUFFERS ARE NOT FOR USE WITH VOLQUARTSEN CNC BOLTS!"

Anyone with a .17 VQ bolt using WK's bolt buffer?
Old 06-03-2005, 04:12 PM
Slant

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I saw that to thats why I emailed him about it, in his reply in my earlier post he warned me about the handle hitting and to relieve the back of the ejection port and it'll run just fine and thats what others had done to use his buffer with the VQ cnc 22lr bolt. Hes got a larger 5/16s buffer for VQ's magnum action maybe thats what the warning is for.

Shing
Old 06-03-2005, 06:21 PM
rrwildlife

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plinkerbob
Great groups considering I still have the factory trigger pull. Have got them sub .5 inch at 50 yards. I have VQ's SS BBL as well. What kind of BBL do you have?
Plinkerbob,

I have the Eabco barrel, rumor has it the're manufactured by E.R. Shaw. Currently the best groups have been with Eley and was about 1" at 100. I had vertical stringing going on so I think I still may have some bedding issues, picture a one inch vertical line with five bullets. I went the cheap route to start not knowing if I was going to like the 17HM2. Once I get the issues worked out I may or may not upgrade the barrel.

I've been in contact with Nic at VQ and turned him on to this tread. They have been unaware of the issues with the bolt hitting the back of the ejection port and was thankful for the update. He offered to take a look at the reciever.

Regards,

Ryan
Old 06-03-2005, 09:34 PM
RICOCHET

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
hey guys, getting concerned here and am wondering if this prob is restricted to the VQ bolt handle ?? got the EABco kit and the handle does seem a tad snug. maybe i'll take a closer look-see.

thanks