Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-28-2005, 09:05 PM
fullchoke
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Question Clamp screw lube/anti-seize

I just finished drilling out a clamp screw on a Burris Sig Zee ring. The one that holds the ring to a TO9 base. Ruined the ring.

What do you fine folks suggest to prevent this from happening again? I'm thinking about choke tube lube on the clamp screw. I should add, I did not have any oil or anything else on this screw.

I remember this subject being discussed before, but I don't recall a consensus of opinion.

BTW; any of you who use long scopes and need a third ring, PM me
Old 05-28-2005, 09:37 PM
DEADGOPHERS

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Tenspot will fix you up with allen screws for 2.00 ...thats with shipping. That should take care of it. Slots suck!

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...ht=torx+screws

Last edited by DEADGOPHERS; 05-28-2005 at 09:41 PM.
Old 05-28-2005, 10:09 PM
recumbent
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
10-4 on slots suck; for the price they charge for burris rings allen screws should come standard on them...............
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2005, 10:42 PM
Hipshot
Law Enforcement Officer UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Forever Warranty

Burris includes their rings and bases in their Forever Warranty. Contact them and maybe they will replace your ring for free. Here is a link to their web site.
http://www.burrisoptics.com/

I also use Tenspot's socket head clamp screws and highly recommend them. Well worth the $2.00 per set.
Old 05-29-2005, 07:28 AM
fullchoke

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Actually, it was one of "Tenspots" screws I had to drill out. I don't fault the screw. And use them exclusively on these rings.

I believe I just overtightened the screw on installation. Don't have a torque wrench and sometimes I'm probably a little too "strong arm" on these things.

I agree the slots suck; but so does lapping rings. I'm going to try the choke lube and hope/think it will work.
Old 05-29-2005, 08:39 AM
Hipshot
Law Enforcement Officer UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
I think putting a little lube on the tip of the threads and under the cap lip is good insurance. I've been using Tetra gun grease (got it at Wallyworld) and have experienced no problems with Tenspot's SHCS's. I remove the scopes on my rifles every time I break them down for cleaning (which is every few hundred rounds) so the clamp screws see a lot of use.

I used a TO-9 base on the first rifle I built and seem to recall that I had to really put the torque on the clamp screw of the Burris ring to get it to tighten down. (Using the factory slotted screw at that time, hadn't discovered the socket head clamp screws yet) In light of your experience with the socket head screw, it might be a good idea to stay with the slotted screw (with lube) in those instances where white knuckle amounts of torque is required to tighten the ring to the mount. What do you think?
Old 05-29-2005, 11:53 AM
Neel

TPC Rating: 
100% (18)
I always put a lil dry lube on stuff like that and just wipe off the extra especially steel screws in aluminum
Old 05-29-2005, 12:34 PM
quickdtoo
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeltonPrecision
I always put a lil dry lube on stuff like that and just wipe off the extra especially steel screws in aluminum
Burris rings are steel, so aluminum isn't the issue, I just put a little Breakfree CLP on the SHCS screw before installing them, making sure some is under the head as well. I did break a burris screw once, had to sacrifice the ring by cutting the foot off with a dremel cutoff wheel.

Tim
Old 05-29-2005, 07:17 PM
fullchoke

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Thumbs up Thanks for the help

I will use a lube from now on. It amazes me how something so simple could be overlooked. But I sure did.