What in the world do you do with $2000 gun? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-01-2004, 10:22 AM
shanipaqman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
What in the world do you do with $2000 gun?

Hi,
just wondering what in the world you do with a $2000 .22 rifle? I saw some for sale in the ad section and thought that was a bit overdone? How accurate do you have to be to enjoy the sport?
shannon
Old 01-01-2004, 10:31 AM
Fumbler

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The same reason people buy Ferrari's and McLarens when they can get the same performance with a Corvette at only 1/4 the price.

What would I do with a $2000 .22?
I'd shoot it

You'll always find people who can and will pay top dollar for the best.
Old 01-01-2004, 10:49 AM
shanipaqman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Functionality

Do they really shoot that much better though is the question? There must be a limit on how good a gun can shoot right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2004, 10:57 AM
gmcfixer
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
All depends on what you want to do with it. Have you seen the price on some of the higher dollar Anschutz lately? Heck I would besides not having the 2 grand to spend on one but yes I could put 2 grand into a 10/22 of course that would include optics.

As far as what would I do with a 2000 dollar gun ..... shoot it!

BTW my IPSC racegun was more than that and I'd say I may have spent that much on reloading components that where shot through it.

Dave Z.
Old 01-01-2004, 10:59 AM
Sisco

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I love it when the gun mags test a mega-buck hunting rifle and brag about .75 - 1" groups.
My $350 Savage 111 holds .5" with my handloads if I do my part.
Old 01-01-2004, 11:10 AM
patm41

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well im building a custom .22mag , ill have over $1200.00 in it
custom stock, barrel, trigger, chrome and gold plating, high end scope and mounts. ect ect..

ill shoot it a few times then put it in the safe and start another one ,, smileing all the while knowing it a custom for me and no one else has one just like it... and to me thats reason enough !!
Old 01-01-2004, 11:13 AM
shanipaqman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Guess if you got the dough, but I'd prefer to spend it on something that I could actually enjoy using, or hunting with...
Old 01-01-2004, 11:48 AM
TangoTwo
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Shannon,

Can't speak for everybody but, those of us who shoot benchrest use those $2,000.00 rifles regularly. Yes they are better than most. If they don't group .25 or less you won't be competitive in this game. The guys who buy these gun enjoy the sport a lot or they wouldn't make the investment. I would dare say that the average benchrester who is comitted to the game shoots a lot more rounds than most posters here.

Go over to the matches forum and take a look at the USBR target. The ten ring is .10" in diameter. That's less than 1/8". Small target at 50 yards. We have guys shooting 240's every month on that target. you won't get that kind of performance from a RemChester.

Ken
Old 01-01-2004, 11:58 AM
JohnBT
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I don't know if the really expensive guns shoot any better than some of the less expensive rifles, but they certainly are easy on the eyes and just generally feel good.

I'd go right ahead and shoot a $2,000 gun while I saved up for one of these $3,800 Coopers. Then I'd shoot it too.

www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976392046.htm

There are some $5,000 Coopers listed on GA too, but I like this one. Check out the Dakota rimfires too.

I wish I could remember who said "Life's too short to shoot ugly guns." Probably some upper-end gunmaker but the older I get the more I agree.

John
Old 01-01-2004, 12:14 PM
ksnecktieman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
shanipaqman? I think you should consider the income of the guys with extremely high dollar rifles? I do not know what income most of them have. I could not justify a 2,000$ rifle for me, but my past contains two divorces (expensive , and worth it ) and my yearly income is under 30,000$. I have what I need for now, which is a 10/22 with a little trick stuff, and a stock I modified to my own preferences, total cost under 300$. I am sure that some here are in income brackets above 100,000$ a year and their perception of 3,000$ compares to my perception of 300$. If you already had a new house and a new car and a fat bank account do you think you would like to have the most accurate and fanciest rifle you could buy?
Old 01-01-2004, 12:20 PM
Bill A.
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've got two .17 HMR's, a CZ and a Cooper. The CZ is without a doubt as accurate, at least in my hands as the Cooper, and cost 1/3 as much. But the difference in the wood, the checkering, the feel of the bolt, the finish (both wood and metal) lead me to use the Cooper about ten times as often, to say nothing of the time I spend just admiring it. To state the obvious, for some people how a gun looks doesn't mean much, for some it means a lot.

Bill A
Old 01-01-2004, 12:54 PM
Stash247

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hey, I'm new here, but let me offer:
If you buy a new Chevy truck, and pay it off before the tires wear out, that's the equivalent of THREE of those rifles, a year.
Bet you don't go out in the drive and FONDLE a truck!
And, the warm, fuzzy feeling you get from shooting groups in the 2's, with an accurate, pretty sporter just doesn't happen in a truck. 'Nuff said?
Old 01-01-2004, 01:32 PM
patm41

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
ksnecktieman..

Income does play a part but not much,, I seen shooters that have the latest most accurate custom made firearm
not it the side of a barn cause they dont have the shooting skills
needed to to the job...

The want the best for the bragging rites ya know what i mean,,
Something to talk about,,

My employer owns 4 major brand tractor dealerships and has the big bucks,, has the best of everything , about 100 super fancy
gold inlayed , custom made rifles shotguns and handguns..
3-4 thousand is pocket change for him,, but can he shoot?
not to good...

Ive went shooting with him several times and each time i have outshot him with a cheap field gun..

Of course i get the bragging rites that I out shot the boss

Money can buy accuracy but you need to know how to use it
Old 01-01-2004, 02:03 PM
YoungMarksman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Money can buy accuracy but you need to know how to use it
That is one of the most profound quotes I've heard in quite some time.
Old 01-01-2004, 02:25 PM
Airedale
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
When I look at guns I see them as art much the way someone in a gallery would look at paintings and sculptures. Even though I can't afford the really high end stuff I love the end result of beautifull wood and workmanship and precise mechanics of the actions, fit and finish that blend into a finely crafted firearm. In the woods, on the trap or skeet field or at the range there is not much difference in the way they perform from decent mass produced guns. No quarantee of a big buck or a trophy for winning a match. It is more of a pride in ownership thing, just having something that is really nice. I will probably always own the middle of the road Norman Rockwells but I would love to have one Rembrandt in my lifetime.