Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-21-2003, 06:50 PM
libertyman777
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Browning Buckmark or S&W 22 series

I've owned a buckmark before and sold it to buy a MkII (which I later regretted). So I'm thinking about another Buckmark but I'm also looking at these .22's from S&W. Who out there has owned (or shot) both? How did the pistols compare to each other (accuracy, reliability, etc...)? The Buckmark I owned was a Field Target which was nice (adjustable trigger) so that's my only frame of reference as far as Buckmarks go. Any input appreciated. Thanks,
L'man
Old 12-21-2003, 06:59 PM
AZYoungGun

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Liberty, if you can dig up a nice S&W 422, I'd perhaps give it try. We have a Browning BuckMark that's my Dad's, and it's a pure beauty. Very accurate and light recoiling (partially due to weight, as I'm sure you know).

The S&W 422 is MUCH lighter than the BuckMark, and handles very well. It's also very accurate (keep in mind my "accuracy" is based on field tests, not target shooting). It's design is a little strange, seeing as the barrel is mounted very lower than one would expect just by looking at it. It's not as much a pain as cleaning a Ruger MKII (I've heard those are very bad), but it's not as easy as the BuckMark.

My opinion: Go with the BuckMark first. As much as I like my 422, the BuckMark is a better design (besides the fact that I can ride high-thumb ).

I have no idea about the newer S&W's. They look like the Nintendo pistol to me.
Old 12-21-2003, 07:03 PM
robert

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ended up with a Ruger, Buckmark, Berreta 76, and a S&W 22A. THe S&W is the least well made of the group and the only one that has had parts breakage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2003, 07:10 PM
AK Matt

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have had the S&W 22 S for a year now. I have shot it alot. I like it more than the mark II I got rid of to get it.
Ill post a link to my website where I did a review on it when I first got it.

Now that it has been used more my complaints are..
that it does not wear very nicely. That baked on coating gets scratches and chips in it that make the gun look bad, The breach face has a bunch of what looks like pitting in it (from uneven wear and that coating) There is wear marks all over the place that indicate fit and finish arent very good.
The recoil buffers are a pain cause they wear out. My recoil spring looks like its in pretty bad shape but still works
The gun has had good accuracy though. I have shot quite a number of ptarmigan, squirrels,grouse and rabbits with it. It does good at the range too but Its been awhile since I shot it for groups.
Even though it looks bad now it is still a shooter and functions good.
Its very weather resistant (had to say one good thing about the coating)smith review
Old 12-21-2003, 07:12 PM
OdT
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
1st pick, S&W 2206 (since that design has been mentioned) Very Fun!
2nd pick, Browning Buckmark 5.5 Field. Nice gun, great balance

Last pick, The new S&W 22s (lots of makes & models I'd buy first) Guess I should add that I haven't shot nor owned one..... they just don't appeal.

JMHO
Old 12-21-2003, 07:40 PM
robert

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Had much the same complaints as AK Matt, but as the pistol was a gift, won't sell it (a matter of respect). So...stripped the barrel and left it bare...repainted the rib (the semi-crinkle is a good choice)...made a new metal recoil spring guid and slide buffer which doesn't seem to want to break...and doctored the grips a bit by adding a palm swell.

The other point is where the extractor sets in the little relief cut along the breech. Cut is made too close to the chamber, in time it burrs inward and shaves the bullets as they are fed into the chamber. Have to make a little tool to swage the burr back into place...believe swaging it back into place work hardens it, and while it hasn't moved again, it just may decide to break off. Stoning the extractor for less contact usually leaves the extracto not grasping the rims well enough....not an option.

Got to admit, think the 422/2206 was a better pistol in many ways...but you'd have to be able to hunt the used market for one that hasn't been abused.

OF what is made right now, new to be ordered, the Browing is probably the best for the price (PRICE...are lots of very expensive toys out there).
Old 12-21-2003, 08:06 PM
AZYoungGun

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Bwahaha! I lucked out on the 422. My grandfolks gave it to me, brand spanking new. Bought it in '92, and never fired it once. It even came with a nifty 12 rounds mag! That's a first for me. LOL. I need to find an adjustable sight for mine, though. The rear is a cheap piece of plastic. Otherwise, it's great. I especially like the mag button. Very unique!

I don't think you could go wrong with either, really.
Old 12-21-2003, 08:58 PM
AK
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I've had my Smith 22S for a couple of years now and I have replaced a broken firing pin, firing pin return spring and replaced a bolt buffer. Like the others have said the painted finish sucks because it does chip and fall off. I use the 22S as a knock around gun because it just don't look "pretty" anymore. If I did it over again I would have chose the Browning or a Ruger.
Old 12-21-2003, 10:40 PM
magooch

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Libertyman, unless you be talking about the S&W model 41, I say go for the Buck Mark.
Old 12-23-2003, 02:02 PM
renelson

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally posted by AK Matt
... it does not wear very nicely. That baked on coating gets scratches and chips in it that make the gun look bad ...
I've been checking out 22 semi-autos and have been pretty astonished at the extremely! fragile finishes they put on these handguns now. The best looking gun I've seen was a used model 41. Even though it had some holster wear the bluing was deep and shiny ... very attractive.

I am NOT a big fan of these "flat" finishes. When I comment to the salespeople about the scratches and scuffs on these NEW showcase guns they reply that display is really hard on them .... %%%%! Imagine what actually using these guns is going to do.

All my research and "gun handling" has zero'd me on on a Buck Mark Field. I just wish it was available in traditional blue or stainless ... not flat finish or nickel plated (IMHO another "fragile" finish).
Old 12-24-2003, 01:02 AM
t driver

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Another vote for the Buckmark.
I have a Buckmark and a friend has a 22A. We both have Mark IIs.
The 22A is no where near the quality of my Mark II Ruger. In my opinion the Mark II is not the gun the Buckmark is.
My $.02

My opinion may be slanted.
Old 12-24-2003, 11:59 AM
dart

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have shot the Buckmark and the Ruger MI. Both are nice, function reliably, and well made. IMHO. I have not shot the S&W. I don't know much about them. I have never had a problem cleaning the Ruger. Never cleaned the Buckmark. Guess the Buckmark looks a little better tho.
Old 12-29-2003, 09:16 AM
libertyman777
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I went and looked at the Buckmarks the other day. They were just as I remembered, very ergonomic and pleasing to the eye. Now I just have to decide which one. My desire to have the most expensive (thinking that it's always the best ) makes me lean towards the Field Target but it's almost $200 more expensive than the Camper. Any preferences regarding this? Thanks,
L'man
Old 12-29-2003, 12:46 PM
libertyman777
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Well, I can't go the S & W Model 41 route. I failed to mention that the pistol must have a bull barrel so it can be threaded for my (legal) suppressor. It would be great if it would work but...
L'man
Old 12-29-2003, 08:58 PM
VictorLouis

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
AVOID the S&W 22A/S series.

A couple of replies here already attested to parts-breakage! The older 422/622, or 2204/2206 are different guns and are better built. However, they would NOT be easy to machine and thread.

Some sort of BuckMark is your best bet, for sure. Just unscrew thefront sight, and have it threaded to suit you. I wouldn't spend the money for, nor alter, the Field Target model. The Camper is a lot of bang for the Buck. Plus, you can always get another barrel for the Browning if you want to go back to normal usage.