Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-13-2003, 06:30 PM
DOGMAN
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Rechambering question

I have a spare 22lr bull barrel for my TC. I would like to have it rechambered for 22mag...can this be done?
Old 12-15-2003, 05:41 AM
mutwagn

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
This has been done many times. I was going to do it also, then found a good price on a Bullberry 22 mag.
When I was looking into it, I had many responses of really good accuracy also.
One other rechamber option that was also pointed out was a 22 Hornet or better yet a K-Hornet.
Be sure you find a good smith, and then go for it.
Andy
Old 12-15-2003, 09:49 AM
Rocky LaRocco

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yes, re-chambering is a viable option--I have a 21" stainless
barrel that started out as a .22hornet. I had it re-chambered
to a .223rem. It works perfect with 50 & 55gr. ballistic tips.
It will shoot groups of .6 or smaller as long as I am not too
shakey. I wonder what a really good shooter could do with it?
The project itself was a success!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2003, 10:28 AM
Larry in SD

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
There are a few gentlemen that have made quite a business out of rechambering Factory Contender Barrels. Mike Bellm has been doing this for years, but due to his wife's health conditions I don't think Mike is currently taking on any work.

Another one that is using Bellm's methods and theories in rechambering is David White. I believe David (like Mike Bellm) grinds a lot of his own chamber reamers to his specs. Another is Mike at On Target Technologies. Mike uses a new method of chambering barrels. He does not use conventional chamber reamers, but rather chambers via the EDM process.

All of these guys cut what they refer to as a .22 MAG Match Chamber. The differences are closer tollerances, with much improved accuracy.

Naturally Virgin Valley Custom Guns, Bullberry Barrel Works and SSK also do rechambers, so there are indeed a lot of options available.

I have an old Super 14 .30 Herrett that SSK rechambered to .30-30 Ackley Improved for me. I have so far taken two Whitetails with this Barrel, and fired a couple hundred rounds at targets. It's accuracy is quite pleasing, and the performance of the cartridge is amazing.

Yes Thompson Center's makes good barrels but their method and quality control in chambering barrels leaves a lot to be desired if one is interested in the utmost in accuracy. A lot of barrels have their chambers off center, and the throats are all but non-existant. A lot of time a simple rechambering will turn a not so great shooting T/C Faactory Barrel into a tack driver.

Larry
Old 12-16-2003, 01:36 PM
DOGMAN
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I will be sending my barrels to David White. I love his web site / forum & he really does great work(from what I've seen & read on his forum).
Old 12-16-2003, 10:42 PM
mutwagn

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally posted by DOGMAN
I will be sending my barrels to David White. I love his web site / forum & he really does great work(from what I've seen & read on his forum).
Do you have a web link for him? Thanks, Andy
Old 12-16-2003, 10:56 PM
Larry in SD

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
YEP here ya go.http://www.bellmtcs.com/forum/index.php?act=SF&f=24
Old 12-16-2003, 11:29 PM
mutwagn

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thank you, Andy
Old 12-30-2003, 12:47 PM
Alchemist11

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Why is it that people reply to such posts saying it can't or shouldn't be done, that the dimensions are different. Doesn't make sense since the single six's and other .22 revolvers have dual cylinders. Mike Bellm is the nicest and most knowledgeable guy about contenders. Haven't heard of David White though, what's the url for his site? I think Virgin Valley does theee best work. My newest love though is the .22 Cooper, a reloadable .22 mag.