$500.00 .22's, are you crazy? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-13-2003, 12:15 PM
rat31465

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
$500.00 .22's, are you crazy?

I, like alot of others in this forum, have been asked this question by those that do not understand our chosen addiction. These same people have no problem spending this amount of money and more on a High Powered Deer, or Elk hunting rifle that they will take out of the gun cabinet once a year to hunt with for a week or so. Yet, the .22 that they take with them everytime they leave the city is the cheapest junker that they could buy.
I like my CF's to. But I have fallen in love with my super accurate RF's. I find a special jubilation and validation in my $500.00 .22 rimfire, Especially when hunting with the friend, that doesn't understand. And after he has missed a shot at a tree rat...that my bullet connects with it is very hard not to gloat a little and say I told you so.
Are we crazy for spending so much on our rifles?
Someone once said. "There is a fine line that seperates Genius from insanity." I think the fun comes from dancing upon this line. But then again...thats just me. I think I am going to go hunting when the snow stops falling today.
Old 12-13-2003, 12:20 PM
steve-in-kville

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Re: $500.00 .22's, are you crazy?

Quote:
Originally posted by rat31465
Are we crazy for spending so much on our rifles?
Yes, but who cares?

Seriously, My centerfires are becoming fewer and fewer in number. Most being sold and traded for rimfires. Rimfires are far more useful with the pest control/varmint hunting I do.

It's an addiction. What's left to say?

steve
Old 12-13-2003, 12:27 PM
awp101
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Talking Re: Re: $500.00 .22's, are you crazy?

Quote:
Originally posted by steve-in-kville
It's an addiction. What's left to say?
That we're not addicted?

Since I've never heard of a 12 step program for rimfirers, we can't be addicts, right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2003, 12:42 PM
DaveR

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
500?

More like a $1000 for mine. I chose to have one instead of many. Put everything I could afford into it. Yep! Were crazy. Now if I could only put that much into my 30-30.....Then I would be a certifiable loony.

DaveR
Old 12-13-2003, 12:52 PM
REDTIP17

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
To Each His Own... That's what makes us Individuals.... Bill
Old 12-13-2003, 12:53 PM
robert

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Will shoot a .22 perhaps 50 to 150 times as many times as a centerfire, and yet people want to "cheap out" on the rifle they will spend the most time with. Probably better to spend $700 on the .22 and $200 on the centerfire.
Old 12-13-2003, 12:54 PM
Logansdad

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
nice to know I'm not the only one
Old 12-13-2003, 01:24 PM
steve-in-kville

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Re: Re: Re: $500.00 .22's, are you crazy?

Quote:
Originally posted by awp101

Since I've never heard of a 12 step program for rimfirers, we can't be addicts, right?
Good point. Never thought of it that way before.

steve
Old 12-13-2003, 01:36 PM
Zobeid

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Nuts?

Most of the old farmers around these parts know they can buy a cheap 22 rifle -- and maybe put on a cheap scope, if their eyes aren't too good anymore -- and shoot just about anything that needs shooting around the place.

I recently pulled an old Rossi pump rifle (22 S/L/LR) out of the closet, it's going to be my "pickup truck" gun after I get it recrowned.

Having said that. . .

I know a fellow around here who has an amazing gun collection. He's got antiques, he's got semi-autos, he's got deer rifles, he's got so many guns he had a special vault-like room built to house his collection. Yet, when he found out that I had a $850 air rifle, he thought I was nuts.

So who is really nuts? The old farmers seem to get by OK with their cheap 22 rifles. My neighbor seems proud of his private arms museum. I'm just as happy as I can be with my FX Tarantula -- it's about the sweetest shooting gun of any kind that I've seen. It all boils down to different strokes for different folks.

However, I do think there's an element of experience required before shooters start to really appreciate the finer pieces. It's the whole "youth is wasted on the young" phenomenon. For example, it took me about 20 years of shooting, and buying and selling guns, before I ever reached the point of having a rifle custom-built.
Old 12-13-2003, 02:22 PM
Snake45
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via AIM to Snake45
I have some nice RFs, I have some mid-priced, I have some real low-cost stuff.

I find that I don't take the "nice" stuff out that often 'cause I'm afraid of dropping it or dinging it or wearing it out. I know, it's kinda silly but that's just me.

The mid-priced and cheaper stuff gets shot way more. You can modify them, you can bang them around, you can shoot the hell out of them and not worry about them.

Just ordered the kid a $60 Romy .22 for Christmas and while my dealer had SOG on the phone I had him get me one a them Chinese Norinco JW-14 semiautos. Dunno a thing about it but for $80 it will be fun to play with and see if I can make anything worthwhile out of it. The Romy 69, too, for that matter!

There's room for all tastes in this hobby/sport, that's one of the great things about it. You can spend as much or (almost) as little as you want, you can do stuff yourself or let your wallet build you anything you want. I like to see what I can make out of a sow's ear--maybe not a silk purse every time, but at least something that makes my friends say, "%%%%, that's a helluva nice sow's ear!"
Old 12-13-2003, 02:41 PM
AK
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I always get the "what do you need another .22 for?"
A. Fun to collect.
B. Cheap and fun to shoot.
C. Inexpensive or high priced, it don't matter I love em all.
Old 12-13-2003, 02:47 PM
robert

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Welll...given the option of having more than one, it kind of makes sense to have one for hard uses (and the farmers I've known uses their guns hard). Have a few "sow's ears" and like them, just that I don't try to make silk purses out of what is going to get covered in mud, rained on, and rattled arround.
Old 12-13-2003, 04:12 PM
Wee Hooker
US Navy Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
If you have to ask, you wouldn't understand if I told you.

Not to sound better than thou but the "$500 for a .22?" statement is a sure sign of someone who thinks a .22 is something you buy at wall-mart along with a milk carton of crapo high speed ammo to plink cans (on occasion). IMHO, they have just tipped their cards in showing they have very little experience with / interest in ANY type of quality firearm. ( i.e. If they had spent any time persuing accuracy with anything, they would know it doesn't come cheap nor does it require explaining.)
You can try to explain but they are just not going to get it. ( Kinda like trying to impress a chimp with a classic novel.)
BTW, if you think explaining a $500 .22 is hard, try explaining a high end match air pistol.
"You spent $1200 on a BB gun!?!"
Old 12-13-2003, 04:54 PM
DPete

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I hear ya WEE HOOKER

Rimfires are cheap! Not going to say what I paid for a high end PCP air rifle and Carbon Fiber tank to fill it. Crazy is a mild description.. DP
Old 12-13-2003, 05:13 PM
langenc
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Some get by ith a Ford Ranger=others need a Continental or Excursion..

s-10 vs Escalade....so what-as long as it is paid for..