Do you think 22 lr pistols will halt dog attacks? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-23-2007, 10:49 PM
Skychief

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Do you think 22 lr pistols will halt dog attacks?

My work is in the woods everyday and I come across dogs quite a bit. Will a short barrelled 22 long rifle pistol STOP a dog attack after it has begun? All opinions and experiences welcome! Thanks in advance.
Old 10-24-2007, 03:04 AM
xstuntman
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yes, and I'd use hollow points for a cleaner kill. Just firing into the ground or air should be enough to scare them off. I've actually done that against two repeat offender pit bulls that were running rampant in the neighborhood for a couple weeks. Mike
Old 10-24-2007, 07:31 AM
FreeMe

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Most dogs will run off at the sound of a gunshot, unless they've been trained not to. The dog that does not run off at the sound might also not stop attacking right away unless it's hit in the CNS.

The .22 is worth carrying if it's all you have and you shoot it well - but something bigger that will break bone reliably would be better IMO.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2007, 07:41 AM
JetGirl
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skychief View Post
Do you think 22 lr pistols will halt dog attacks?
Yes.
My instructor from the basic safety course I took does triathlons and runs marathons (like the Boston, etc) and he trains by running every day (most times way out in the country for miles or through wooded paths). He carries a little pocket .22 just for that reason and has used it on strays/wild dogs.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:07 AM
jackknife
US Army Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Last summer the Armed /citizen collum in The American Rifleman had a bit about a child being attacked by a pit bull. A nieghbor came to the rescue and killed the pit with one shot from a .22 to the head.

Despite the claims of the macho owners of pit bulls, dogo whatever's, dogs are not that tough to kill. A .22 round through the skull will do just fine.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:19 AM
39a

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
In a word, NO!

I'm an LEO and work in a large department. I've had to dispatch dogs several times. You said, "STOP a dog attack after it has begun." Yes, a 22rf will kill it, but not immediately. If you are being attacked, you want it to stop NOW!!

I have police officers who have shot aggressive dogs with 9mm's and it took many (read most of a magazine) to dissuade the dog. I had one officer shoot two aggressive dogs with his AR 15. Yes it killed them, but they ran for over 50 yds before they expired. If they had been attacking, that's another 10 to 15 seconds too long.

My personal experience combined with those I work with is that there is only one thing that will stop a determined dog in the midst of an attack - 12 ga. 00 buck. Sorry, but I've instructed my officers that if they need to stop an aggressive dog and they have access to one, use the shotgun.

I love 22rf's, but I would never trust one to stop an aggressive attack, unless it was a toy chiwawa.
Old 10-24-2007, 03:22 PM
Skychief

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My work in the woods isn't conducive to my carrying a large framed 45, let alone a shotgun. That is why I ask about a small 22 lr pistol's effectiveness. I am certain that a MYRIAD of other guns would be even more effective, but I have alot of fondness for my 22s as they don't break the bank to practice with. No dispespect intended, but I know a 357, 45, shotgun, bazooka, howitzer, etc, etc would all stop an attacking dog better. I just want some thoughts on what a 22 lr pistol will do (instead of comparisons to other guns). Thanks and again, NO dissrespect intended, it's just that I have seen these threads dissintegrate into useless, off-topic tangents way too many times.
Old 10-24-2007, 04:39 PM
RodJ

TPC Rating: 
100% (18)
I love dogs almost like Peta (ack! i said it!) people love dogs, and I don't like to think about killing them. But, if you need to rely on a .22, you might consider which ammo. The Aguila SSS 60 grainers might be good, but I'd like to make sure they don't penetrate the head and out the mouth into your arm which is probably being held, vice like, in the jaws of attacking dog. You run the risk of also hitting an artery. Same with your leg. Another option might be Quickshocks which break into three pieces. Or maybe Velocitors, but same Q as with Aguila SSS. You will want penetration without a through and through.

I say all that because someone mentioned the CNS hit. I agree. Assuming you have one hand free while the wolf-like beast is gnawing off one of your limbs, then don't shoot wildly. My untested theory is to stick the barrel in it's ear then pull the trigger.

Just 2 pesos worth from someone who has fortunately never had to try it or worry about it.
Old 10-24-2007, 05:16 PM
39a

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Skychief,

No offense taken. I understand your concern about the direction of the thread. I was just trying to make a point that I don't think you should rely on a 22rf to immediately stop a dog attack. You asked, and I gave you my experiences.

Since you indicate that your woods work would only allow a 22, then it is better than a sharp stick. So, if you have already made up your mind that a 22 is the only workable solution, I agree with RodJ, try to find the most efficient load. The ones he mentioned are tops, especially the velocitors and Quickshocks.
Old 10-24-2007, 05:45 PM
sharkman8810

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It is better than nothing, one uses what one has. Possibly a pepper spray for them too. I wouldnt say stop immediately, but I think it would give a healthy individual much better odds and decrease the risk and amount of injury needed to win. I'd go with velocitors, or if possible find the type of gun in .22 mag which would a better choice. Some of the revolvers like the ruger have different cylinders. I should still meet the small and light frame , and mag ammo is just more reliable and better constructed. Sorry if i got to off topic.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:16 PM
Skychief

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
39a...no problem....my post wasn't directed toward you nor anyone in particular. Thanks for your opinions.
Old 10-25-2007, 07:10 AM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (30)
One of the small towns I worked for as Reserve Sergeant we were the dog catchers as well as the Police, which we really hated. I've used many a can of pepper spray on aggressive dogs rather than shoot them or get eaten by them. On my walks I carry a Beretta 21 in my pocket for those dogs that take exception to my presence, only used it once two shots to the head of a Pit Bull, no more problem. My woods walking pistol is a Taurus 941 in .22 wmr, eight rounds of .22 wmr could be just what you need, and its light and handy but may be too large for what you need.

Gerald
Old 10-25-2007, 08:02 AM
JackStinson

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Having been there and done that, a .22 will suffice...not something I'd want to repeat. In my case, a feral dog attacked me in the woods. I had a .22 SA revolver and only got one hollow-point shot off into it's skull at point blank range. While this did end the attack, the dog was still able to run away deeper into the woods. I'd much rather have been more humane, even for an attacking feral animal.
A Kel-Tec P3AT might be a better choice if you want a light pocket carry gun while in the woods.
Jack
Old 10-25-2007, 08:15 AM
C.C.
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
A .22 is better than nothing, but unless the hit(s) are in the CNS, it will llkely be a while before fido expires.

I had a friend who shot an aggressive German Shepherd(neighbor's dog) in the chest with his .45. He watched it leave his yard, and walk down the street. It disappeared, never to be seen again.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:29 AM
JR47
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Most dogs are not attack trained. Probably less than 1% are.

Pepper Spray will NOT reliably stop a dog from an attack. I spent years as a letter carrier, and as an EMT/firefighter, and once used TWO cans of Pepper Spray on a particularly persistent German Shepherd. It allowed me to blind the animal enough to regain my truck.

Feral animals are vicious, and may well attack if they feel that they can succeed. Loud noises, and the pain of a bullet strike will usually cause them to break off the attack. Animals attacking for reasons other than rut, or starvation, cannot afford to allow themselves to be injured. An injured animal slips from predator to prey, and they instinctively know that.

As for the SUPER animals that soak up magazines full of 9mm or .223, lousy shot placement makes for lousy results, even with a 155 mm Howitzer. Might I remind everyone that, even after absorbing this much punishment, and not dying, the animals still did what was required, they walked AWAY from the shooter.

The .22 lr, and many smaller calibers, like the 4.5 Velo Dog, have been used successfully for a century or more to defend humans from dog attacks. The largest problem with using a firearm for defense is the unwillingness to use it early enough in an engagement to stop the animal before it reaches you. Once there, all bets are off.

Ask me about the Police Officer who waited until a Rottweiler reached him to shoot it with a 12 ga. It was too close to shoot, and he instinctively switched to using the butt of the shotgun to strike it. Finger on trigger!! Blew his hat off!!!! Only minor damage to the scalp from the OO Buck load, but he looked like an Apache had tried to scalp him from all of the blood!! Luckily, his blow, and the noise along with it, caused the animal to withdraw.