"Space Age" 17Mach2 Nylon 11 - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-30-2005, 03:10 PM
Nobody
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Thumbs up

Vincent -

If you have the pix on your hard drive, e-mail them to me and I'll post them here.

I did the reline bit to 17HM2 almost a year ago. Sent a Ruger 77VBZ, 24" gray stainless barrel off to a guy in Alabama for a reline job. Turn around was very quick but haven't been able to contact the guy since . He did a pretty fair job except the crown wasn't as smooth as I like so I've since refinished it (shoots better now too ). I put that barrel on my 77/22 stainless hybrid and after finally getting the scope on paper, my first 5-shot group at 60yds was penny size. Still doesn't do as well as I'd like but is plenty accurate for GBT's out to 75yds or so (as far as I usually want to try a shot anyway ). Here's pix of the rifle (still haven't polished the gray finish off the barrel ) and the first group for record -

My other 17HM2 is a Ruger 96 with a 20" Clerke barrel that Bo Clerke contoured to factory taper (or pretty near) for me the first part of this year. There's pix of it in the thread "More on my 96/17HM2" located farther down on this forum.
Old 06-30-2005, 04:06 PM
Vincent
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Nobody, thanks. I don't even know how to put a picture in an email but I'm pretty sure my Darlin does so when she gets home we'll send it your way. Thanks for the help. Later I will try to find a way to get something of my rifle. I here you can take a picture with a regular camera and have the developers put it on a disk. Between that and getting our scanner up and running we will get this done but with your help at least people will know what aNylon11 looks like

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzOn6GqNFdk
Old 06-30-2005, 04:14 PM
brad541thb

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Vince, if I can help you let me know as well.

Brad
Old 06-30-2005, 04:22 PM
Nobody

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Thumbs up

Vincent - Yeah, if you have a Wal Mart (Horrors ) near you with a photo developing dept, I believe they'll make you a CD when you have pics developed. May cost an extra buck or so??, but then you can file them on your hard drive and then join one of the free pic hosting sites, I use Jesse's Hunting and Outdoors (jesseshunting.com) or Hunting Pictures (Hunt101.com), you can upload pics and post them anyplace, like RFC . I'll be looking for your pic.
Old 06-30-2005, 10:28 PM
tfrank
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Talking Hi there, Vincent!!!

Was down in Madison Co. VA for the past 5 days with my church fixing up peoples houses!! Had a pretty good time and I met some really neat people, the homeowners and the kids that did most of the work. I found out today that the kids that go to "Work Camp" PAY $400.00 to go to this "camp" so they can sweat, and work for free, for nothing other than a good feeling. You could have knocked me over with a feather when I found that out. I never knew that they had to pay to do this. I know this has nothing to do with your "11" but I just had to say something about these kids.
I'll get some pictures posted for you before weeks end if possible!! God Bless, Frank.
Old 07-01-2005, 04:33 PM
tfrank
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Talking Barrel relining!!!!

Breach end before any work
[/IMG]
Breach end after relining, chambering, and filing the extractor grooves
[/IMG]
Muzzle end after relining and crowning
[/IMG]

Last edited by tfrank; 07-01-2005 at 05:03 PM.
Old 07-01-2005, 05:05 PM
Vincent

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
tfrank, sounds just like somthing you would do!! You have PM's. Thanks for diving in here. I've got range test just about ready to type up for the rifles first trip to the range. Like most projects we got good and some stuff that still needs work. Some of it just plain silly on my part.

Stay tuned folks

Old 07-02-2005, 12:51 PM
Nobody

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Thumbs up

Now we'll see if I can do this - The first pic will be one that Vincent sent me of the two Rem Nylon Model 11's (top one appears to be a carbine length w/6 round mag, and the lower looks like rifle length w/10 round mag). Second pic is one I scanned from my Gun Traders Guide and shows a Model 11 and a Model 12 along with some info on value, etc. Something that I don't recall Vincent mentioning but is evident from the pix, all the Nylon bolt guns had the European style "Butter Knife" bolt handle, and it appears they also had the 5-teen-X type sights. All other features appear to be standard 5-teen excluding the stock. Neat rifles and from what I've seen on the online auctions, they appear to be getting "dearer" all the time. The prices listed in my book seem to be on the low side .

Old 07-02-2005, 01:36 PM
Vincent

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Thanks Nobody and thanks to one of the guys at Yahoo Nylon Rifles group whose picture I "Borrowed" . I wish I had a name to give him gredit but the guy has a collectin of Nylon rifles that appears to be 20 or 30 of them! They can get to you like that.

You can see what I meant by the 50's "Space Age" styling with a little of Roy Weatherby's "California" syling thrown in. They do indeed have the Mannlicher (sp) "Butter Knike" bolt handle. At their hearts they are 510,511,and 512 actions with the "Behive" bolt cover. I believe the the 510 series was discontinued the same year the Nylon rifles came out.

One "issue' with the bolt action Nylons that make them inconvient to work on is the handguard over the barrel. This is molded into the stock and this means that the barrel must be pulled to remove the action out of the stock!!
Also like most "Tupperware" stocks they are not the stabilist things in the world and you can not glass bed them. Many professional gunsmiths are using household expandable insulating foam to stiffen them up and I am looking at that. Right now I am experimenting with shims to keep the action steady in the stock. This is why earlier I was saying that if you have no special reason to use the Nylons this conversion is even BETTER with a more conventional stock.

But wait.....Theres more! Now that I have told you the bad stuff lett me tell you the good. Did you see the weight? 4.5 pounds! Yup! That's with the 24" barrel. And they are skinny. My rifle is almost as narrow as the bell of my Tasco 42mm scope! My rifle has the carbine 19.5" 22lr barrel originally and the conversion 17M2 is the 24". But that barrel is only .625" thick. These rifles handle really well. A 10/22 feels like a club compared to one of these. As promised, first range test later today. Thanks for following along.

Old 07-03-2005, 07:05 AM
xxring

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Converting the mag/clip feed guns are normally not a problem (with relines) if you have the proper tools. I might mention that single shots, rollers, falling blocks and just about everything but tube feed guns work fine. Tubes allow too much "wiggle room" for the .17m2 as the case sits at a more drastic angle in the tube and will allow the nose of one to slip under the rim of another and jam the tube. At least the Henry's do. It's a real pain in the butt to realize this AFTER you have drilled and lined the bbl. I have thought of a couple of fixes and not real happy with them. Just thought I would mention it in case there were some with tube feed guns wanting to make a conversion.

xx

www.martincustom.com
Old 07-03-2005, 07:39 AM
Vincent

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Thanks xxring, I think I suggested that anybody considering a conversion should buy a box of 17m2 and cycle through the action a number of times. Mine was very close but worked like it was desinged for it. I think even with a box mag there is always the possiblility that the feed libs/ case shoulder my be in locations that might interfere. Cheap insurance to get a box of ammo early and cycle through action to be sure everything is okie dokie.

Old 07-03-2005, 07:53 AM
xxring

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Vincent

Your suggestion is very warranted. So far, I have done the CZ Varmint and Rem 511 conversions in box mags along with numerous single shots and falling blocks and not had a single problem with feeding. On the other hand, a Win 67 gave me fits about extraction but I found a cure. Good thread, Pard.

xx

www.martincustom.com
Old 07-03-2005, 10:01 PM
DEADGOPHERS

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I remember the nylons advertised in Fur Fish & Game Magazine when I was a kid.
Classic!
Old 07-04-2005, 09:09 AM
Vincent

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Well I've measured targets and gotten some new info on the rifle's first trip to the range. First let me say right off the the bat that it was a comedy of errors on my part. The first thing I did was pick up Agoetz2005 to take him to the range with me. Andy is a member here and a good guy. He is a colledge student and had never been to an organized outdoor range before and he had his brand new Savage 17HMR to try out. The first thing I did was try to run a patch through my new barrel using the Otis pull through system everyone was buying here a month ago. The patches they sent looked way too big for that tiny bore so I used one of my patches that was half their size. Guess what happened? Yup, you got it! It got so stuck I could not get it to go in much past the chamber and would not come out the other way at all. OH GREAT!! I put the rifle aside so as to help Andy for awhile. We were both having trouble with sand bags as the target holders are actually BELOW the level of the benches at Owl Hollow gun club range. This was a problem that would haunt us the rest of the day and must be addressed before a return trip.

After thinkin about the stuck patch for awhile I figured I could not screw it up worst then it was so I had Andy hold the rifle while I wrapped my hand in a rag and we both pulled for all we were worth and POP, out came the patch so we were back in business Embarrassing but at least I could shoot the rifle.

Next problem. Using "Made in England" Remington 17M2 ammo I settled at the bench after boresighting the rifle the old fashioned way. Load a mag settled into the bags and CLICK! A dud. Eject and start over, Click! another dud!! After trying 7 or 8 of the Remingtons, some of them three times I had yet to hear a bang!. What the Heck? Got out a box of Hornady 17M2 and was qite relieved to hear a quiet bang when I squeezed the trigger. Now back to fighting the Hoppes front tripod stand and rear bag and bench combo. It was awful. Could not get a steady hold to save my butt but at least I could shoot and start breaking in the new barrel. This liners have a rep as being kind of tight and I was watching the cases for any signs of pressure but the Hornady was working like a charm. Most fifty yard groups were around a 1/2 inch for 4 shots with one flyer way out at about an inch. I was shooting five shot fifty yard groups. This continued as each group would typically have 3 shots touching or amost touching, 4 of the shots would be within about 1/2 inch and there was ALWAYS one flyer out around 1 inch away from the rest. Not bad but CERTAINLY not what I was looking for. And I only had the one box of Hornadys.

What happened? Well, several things. I have already described the extremely unstable bench environment. Somthing I hope to have corrected by the next visit (this week I hope). I noticed that the action was moving at LEAST 1/16 of an inch back and forth in the stock! and the forearm is flimsy enough that some time the barrel is floated and sometimes it is not. Remember me telling you in a post above that you would be much better starting with a 511, 581, a Savage in a wood stock or Mossberg like what tfrank is building? The Nylon stock is just not very stable. But all is not lost. Remember this is a 4.5 pound gun with a 24 inch barrel. It is very thin. Shooting from the bench is like trying to shoot a buggy whip!! So on to cures.

This week I stripped an cleaned the bolt with the plan of replacing the main spring but the main spring in this rifle is very strong and the firing pin looks good. So anyway it got stripped, cleaned lubed and reassembled. The various parts look almost brand new. I also checked the breach on the old barrel to see it the firing pin had been abused by dry firing but the breach did not have a single mark on it. So I still have no idea why the English Remington stuff would not shoot. At 10 dollars a box I'm not sure I care!! It just bugs me. If I knew someone local I would have them try it but I don't know anyone around here with a 17m2.

I have, as a temporary measure shimmed the action and barrel to take away any slop and am working on a couple of ideas for a more permanent cure. I even looked at putting the whole barreled action in a 511 Walnut stock that Numrich sells new for $79.95 but it wouldn't be a Nylon 11 then would it, but it is a possibility. Actually when I started this project I wanted to build a 510,511 or 581 17m2 but money is tight and I already had the Nylon11 and to be honest it is kind of a cool thing that at least for now I have what is probably the only one in the world and will almost certainly be the first one. I am looking into reinforcing the forearm with foam, it would be plenty stiff then and "Bedding the action with shims of metal tape till it is nice and tight in the stock. I've read about 10/22's bedded this way that the owners claim good results with. Hey.....THIS IS A PROJECT! and when you start a project you have to expect somethings along the way that are going to challenge you.

Thanks for following along and this is the part of my project that I would really appriciate any comment and would really like to hear any Suggestions to make it better. People like xxring, tfrank, skeeter27red and any of you with 511/Nylon rifle experience are all welcome to throw out any and all suggestions that may hep me with developing what I think will be a very interesting little rifle. Thanks in advance. Take care, hope you are enjoying the thread, Vince

Old 07-04-2005, 02:26 PM
Blazer037
US Army NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Vincent - I think if it was me, I would try to find out why the Rem's weren't firing, and then I'd take my converted Nylon and jump up and down and do circles!

Maybe you could get it more consistent...but it's not bad right now by what you said. And like you said, it's beauty is that it's a 4.5 lb gun, the only one in existence probably, and absolutely a joy to carry in the field. I know, because I have a nylon 66. I think it's awesome that you're getting the performance out of it that you are.

But, if you're going to tinker - good luck and keep us posted.
Lee