Ideal Backpacking Firearm - Page 3 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-29-2003, 05:10 PM
BigRemFan
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Is.64:8, I did not mean for it to sound harsh, and I hope bjk7 didn't think I was blasting him. Maybe it's just my way of thinking, but I always considered backpacking as an overnight venture into the wilderness. An afternoon hike on an established trail is a bit different. Like you, I haven't quite figured out what kind of backpacking trip bjk7 is planning. I have spent enough time in the west to know it can be a very unforgivable environment.
If my previous post has offended anyone, my apologies.
Anybody who travels alone nowadays should take every precaution for their own safety. Like the Boy Scout motto says - Be Prepared.
Old 12-29-2003, 06:12 PM
varmastr

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
well put bigrem,
you pack for the trip for the coldest likely temp, likewise with firearm.
bjk7, can u clarify?thanks
Old 12-29-2003, 06:45 PM
Is. 64:8

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Smile

BigRemFan,

I agree with you 100%. No arguments here. I couldn't figure out how to add the smilies.

In backpacking, I like ultralight as much or more than most. I'll skimp on comfort sometimes, but I will never skimp on life preserving items for (like varmastr indicated) the worst possible scenario. In today's world, that may mean carrying a 40-45oz Ruger .44Mag or .45Colt as you indicated in addition to a 30oz .22LR. for plinking/small game. Sometimes I carry other calibers or weapon types, but then again the animals where I spend "wilderness" time are not very large/dangerous except for spiders & snakes. I would generally say I am "overgunned" for wildlife and adequately-gunned for self defense from most/some other humans. I also practice extensively with ALL my equipment on short 3-5 day outings/camping/hunting/fishing trips on land I know very well.

We'll see if bjk7 will give us more insight.

I doubt you offended anyone who really wants good advice--at least not me. Your good advice was also very sobering and thought provoking advice to me. I thinkg about such things quite often.
Old 12-29-2003, 08:42 PM
snooker

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
walking stick.....

12 ga. pump.
Old 12-29-2003, 09:41 PM
legacy38

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Of the guns mentioned in the original post to this thread, the only one that I don't like is the Taurus 94. I have never handled one with anything even close to an acceptable trigger.

I like all of the others. The Single Six does give you the option of shooting .22mags.

Your intended use for the pistol is a big issue though. Do you just want it for plinking and small animals, or do you also intend for it to be a defensive type pistol?
Old 12-29-2003, 10:53 PM
Knifemaker

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
It seems that BJK7 must be out in the wilderness so letts assume for the conversation that we are talking an extended hike where we are 10 miles from the nearest road somewhere in the cascade or Rockie mountains stopping and camping in one spot for a day or two then moving on. Probably doing some fishing and hunting for food.

I think I would take a Buckmark, a Marlin SS Guide gun in 45/70 and for a belt gun, probably a S&W 4" .357. I wouldn't do such a trip alone so who ever I was hiking with could carry a shotgun and sidearm of their choice. I won't say that is an ideal setup but should be enough firepower there to stop most predators (possibly including bigfoot). In Alaska I used to carry a S&W combat shotgun, a Ruger .44mag and sometimes my .338 Win.mag.
Old 12-30-2003, 12:47 AM
Mydnyte

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
When I backpack I like to carry my ruger P90DC. It is faily light and rides nicely on my web belt in a cross draw. I load the first two rounds with CCI shot and the next five 185gr +P JHP. I carry a spare clip on the belt with alternating 185gr JHP and 230gr FMJ (4FMJ and 3 JHP). I also like to stick a few extra shot shells in my pocket as small game is tastey fresh from the trail and the 45 with shot is pretty good for that.

This pistol is also my concealed carry weapon and resides in my bedside safe at night with a flash light and cell phone. I put alot of rounds through it and feel that the familiarity I have with it off sets the extra weight.

"Beware the man with one gun" and all that you know
Old 12-30-2003, 03:59 AM
Ruthaca

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via AIM to Ruthaca
Hey KnifeMaker!

If I were in the cascades, I would take a lever action marlin or Winny 94 in .45 colt and one of them Commanche pistols that shoot .410 shells, and a Ruger .22 Standard.

PS- I'm from Eugene too, thought it was funny when you said 'Cascade mountains" figured you must be local...
Old 12-30-2003, 01:20 PM
Knifemaker

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Talking

I am getting a Contender pistol that I can put a .410 barrel on.
Old 12-30-2003, 02:17 PM
Alchemist11

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
LOL you confused yet with all the different opinions? Years ago I was where you are at. Guns and Ammo Magazine ran some great artcles on the very topic. Gary James i think and the venerable Milek, had some great answers. First off, know exactly what you want it for. No one gun is the best for all. The 22 RF is convenient and good for plinking and small game, but virtually useless for signaling if you are lost or for self defense and coming across a wild dog, bear, or a rabid animal. A rabid animal is one nasty tough critter to put down. I'd go with at least a .22 mag with a convertible cylinder for practice, fun and small game. BUT all that said, as some ppl have said here, the .357 mag is the best for non grizzly country. It will shoot the low powered .38's for fun and small game, the hollow points for two and four legged smaller nasties and finally the high powered 200 grain corbons for bear. I live in upstate NY and during three of the seasonss, I carry a .357, a 10 mm, .45 super, a .45 colt/acp revover, a .41 mag, or a .44 special/ mag depending on my mood. In the winter it's usually a .22 mag, a .32 mag revolver, or a 9mm, .38 super, or a .380 auto

Taurus guns have more problems with them than those of any other maker. The trigger pulls on the .22's are often just atrocious, all their guns shoot loose, they break parts, the titaniums freeze up when hot, and the service is non existent despite the lifetime warranty. They are inexpensive and you take your chances. The good ones are about as rare as the bad ones are for other makers. They have a superb design department and poor execution, and as i said, the service is non existent.
Old 12-30-2003, 10:21 PM
Rimfire Junkie

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ahemm....*Yoda*, cough, cough.........
Old 12-30-2003, 10:29 PM
Mydnyte

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Actually I would have to agree that Yoda would in fact make the perfect backpacking weapon!!

Old 12-31-2003, 02:22 AM
SharpShooter
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Send a message via AIM to SharpShooter Send a message via MSN to SharpShooter Send a message via Yahoo to SharpShooter
Check under the Taurus Forum (Taurus 94 impressions?) for more info on the 94
Old 01-02-2004, 06:20 PM
aubie515
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I realize we are on a rimfire forum..however I must agree with everyone that suggested something bigger than .22...I'd rather have a .22 pistol than nothing at all..however if your budget allows...I would recommend something bigger...as far as being the most versitale pistol I'd recommend the Glock...I have a G32 in 357 Sig and I bought a 40 S&W barrel so it's like having two pistols all for the price of a new barrel..I know you can add a 9mm as well...how can you beat that set up??? I also just recently bought a used Bersa with double stack magazine for only $135...it shoots well...I like my Bersa alot better than the Sig 232 I owned...just some food for thought.
Old 01-03-2004, 02:06 AM
danno

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If you're sticking to the .22 realm and are concerned about weight, I just recently stumbled across receivers made by Tactical Solutions (www.tacticalsol.com).

They make actions/barrels for the ruger semi-autos out of a single piece of Aluminum with a cromoly barrel sleeve. they make them in numerous barrel lengths from 3 to 12 inches and are insanely light, even the 12" size. I was seriously considering one of these, but went with a Trailside instead, cuz it felt better in my hand.

My Dad's thinking of getting one for a grouse gun while hunting.

Anyhoo, just thought I'd throw that out.

Good luck!
Dan