Anyone sort their 22 mag ammo? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-26-2003, 01:31 PM
Zephyr

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Question Anyone sort their 22 mag ammo?

I am considering buying a 22 mag rifle for small game hunting. However sometimes I will use it at the range for punching paper. I was wondering if anyone has experience sorting their 22 mag ammo by wieght or rim thickness and if it was effective in accuracy gains.
I ask because I have a theory the great accuracy the 17 hrm shooters report is partly due to its ability in wind but mainly due to the near match quality of the 17 hrm ammo currently available. 22 mag ammo seems to be closer to bulk 22 lr ammo in its quality. Is this true?

PS Thanks to everyone who contributes to this site. Its been very helpful.
Old 12-26-2003, 08:40 PM
TERRY8mm

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
.22 mag

I've had a darn near 30 year love/hate relationship with the mag. I loved the power and tragectory, hated the crap ammo.
It seems that advent of the.17 has had a trickle down effect to the mag. That improvement is in the quality of the ammo and bullets.
I'm getting great accuracy from several loads in the last year or so. I've got 2 rifles right now that group very well with several different loads.
I shot some groups yesterday at 50 yds. with 2 different loads. I was trying to pick the best for this rifle. I shot several groups that were 5 of one brand and 5 of another, at the same target. The individuals were running an overall avg. for 20 groups of .321", with aggregates of .612"- .667".
I've traded or sold 15 or 20 rifles over the years, trying to get an accurate mag. I haven't improved that much, and I'm using older rifles, so I think the ammo is a little better.
To answer your question, I did some measuring and found the brands I was using to be a little more consistent than non-premium .22 lr loads. Of course, the most consistent load I could find seems to have fallen off the planet in the last couple of months. That was, of all things ARMSCOR 40 GR. loads. CCI MAXI MAG/ 40 gr TMJ is shooting very well from 2 rifles and Remington Premier form the Handi is dang near match quality. I also had good groups from the PMC PREDITOR LOAD in the Handi. sorry for the longwided reply.
Old 12-26-2003, 09:49 PM
Kajun17vs

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Terry8mm,
I shoot a Marlin 882ssv and it likes the 40 gr. Armscor bullet's. I only find them at a local gun show that comes around about 2 times a year. I do not know what is goin' on with the avaliability of these cheap, good shootin' bullets.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2003, 10:31 PM
robert

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Another long-winded reply:

Did rim thickness sorting when working on a Ruger. Sorted into four groups and test fired in 5 5-round groups. Found that the thicker rims gave the best accuracy.

Weight checking within thickness groups is time consuming...and turned ut to be non-productive.

This got me to thinking, so checked headpsace...normal. Took bolt apart, cleaned it and deburred all races/slots etc. Still got better groups with the thicker rimed ammo.

Checked firing pin protustion and found it a bit short. Couple of ways to cure that...longer pin, or shorter limit to the stop.

With the pin adjusted just .002", the ammo sorted into the middle two groups shot as well as the large group.

Set the barrel back and reset the headspace (towards the min. side), which pretty well voids any comparison to the earlier tests.

Set up the way it is now, given good ammo, can't find any significant improvment by sorting...but the better ammo has very little variation.

----------

In all of this sorting, noticed that the thick rims are often smaller diameter (as the case runs through the draw dies that form the rim, looks as if it didn't bottom out as fully as the normal rounds).

Wonder if the thicker rim also contains more priming compound?
Old 12-27-2003, 02:37 AM
Zephyr

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've often been told not to buy a 22 magnum because the long rifle ammo is cheap and more accurate. My only response is the long rifle 22 is fun for plinking with my Neos pistol but lacks power and appeal for a rifle round.
Sounds like the magnum ammo has changed in the past few years. Ammo sorting may not be necessary. Although it seems to me the manufactures should be able to duplicate the hummer accuracy in the win magnum. Maybe ammo sales will increase with more semi auto magnum rifles being sold and get the manufactures interested in match ammo.

Off the subject...what is considered proper firing pin protrusion?
Old 12-27-2003, 10:36 AM
robert

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The advice you were given is still pretty much true...good .22LR with good ammo (and some of match ammo can cost more than .22mag. ammo) can make some amazingly small groups. I'd not buy a .22mag.just for accuracy/target shooting. If all i want to do is put holes together in small groups, will use the .22lr; the .22mag. is more what I reach for when I want to kill game.

Going to have to dig out the notbooks from the shed to find the work done on that rifle and get back to you about the pin.
Old 12-27-2003, 03:11 PM
Zephyr

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The question of improving accuracy through ammo sorting is mainly for fun. I love shooting small groups at the range just like alot of people on the forum. But I'm buying the 22 mag for small game hunting. I maybe off base but the 22 mag seems to be effective for the widest range of small game and (short range) varmints using a rimfire rifle. The hummer has appealing accuracy but doesn't seem to provide ethical killing power for animals such as fox or coyote. The forum is filled with people who hunt all kinds of game with the 17, but I'm just not skilled enough to alway expect a perfect head/neck shot.
Old 12-27-2003, 06:49 PM
robert

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Zephyr,

Ever time there is a new round, a few people go off the deep end....when the .17Rem.(CF) came out, rabid fans used it for hunting deer, hogs, and at least one elk. When the .22mag. first came out, there were deer shooters as well. Even back (as I've read) when the .22 Savage HP came out, at least one fan though it was fine for tiger hunting. There was even one period picture of a guy in front of a dead bear and a .25acp Colt in his hand.

Eventually they grow out of it and the round finds it's proper place.
Old 12-30-2003, 01:00 PM
Alchemist11

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yes. I agree. What's all the hype about the 17?!?!??! Sure it's a flatter trajectory but.... .25 grain bullet?!?!?! Now a .17 remington has punch!!! I use to hear people talking about terrible wind drift problems with the .17 rem and how you could only shoot it on a calm day. Now i read people saying how the 17rim is a better wind bucker than the .22 mag. Hello?!?!?!?!?! What?!??! Professionals have used .22 mags in africa to bring down the small gazelles and even some larger game. A .22 mag blows a RF away in a handgun, even with a 3 inch barrel, and it's a good coyote round altho people wil argue against that. I htink in a few years the .17 RF will find it's nich. KInda like how the .243 could do anything and the .357 use to be considered reasonable for the largest bears. Yea right!
Old 01-23-2004, 08:17 AM
Lynxus

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I'm using my 22 mag for yotes,,,,,two in the last week with win HP,

one head shot down and flopped five yards or so

one heart/lung ran a little then flop.

what is the PMC PREDITOR LOAD like????never heard of it?
Old 01-29-2004, 04:10 PM
mag41vance

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
882 ssv is a shooter

You need to test the ammo.
Mine likes CCI 40gr fmj 0023 best
I tested some ammo @ 25 yds recently the link below is a picture.