$500.00 .22's, are you crazy? - Page 4 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-15-2003, 01:26 AM
MDN

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)

Until last week when I traded, I had three rimfires and three automobiles. The cost of the rimfires was just under the cost of the cars. And none of it approached what most of you are talking about.

All I can say is appreciate it.

All my rimfires shoot more accurately than I do. I enjoy shooting all of them. I will never be able to justify spending several thousands of dollars on a rifle. Seems that money will help out more elsewhere.

Now if you want to talk about an addiction that gets pricey, I'm trying to get my company to buy me a $3,500 camera and a $1,500 lens.

But it's sweeeeeet.
Old 12-15-2003, 10:58 AM
JohnBT
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
"I will never be able to justify spending..."

That's what I said until I paid off my house.

John
Old 12-15-2003, 08:50 PM
langenc
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Another way to look at it--

At tax time and I would have a W2 tax form showing how much I had made--college student-made $950.00-and Mom would say "and just where is it?" I guess the same would hold true today. Just where is that income. At least witha gun you can say
"some of it is a Kimber, Anschutz etc."
Old 12-15-2003, 09:03 PM
sharkman8810

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have maybe that much in my cz 452 silhouette. Thinking out loud 330 for gun add 60 for cz rings, and 60 for scope that is 450, and if i want add half the price of the harris bipod i take between it and the ruger 77 and it is darn close. the ruger also comes in at about 500.

I think i only paid in the low $300's for my savage package deal. It is the only centerfire i own ( it is an 30-06) for deer.

So my rimfires are more expensive than my centerfire, and i planned it like that because i dont have alot of spare cash so i go by time used in field and the .22's won out.
Old 12-15-2003, 09:52 PM
akrimfire
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Passion for Rimfires

Yes, I too have a passion for the good, old rimfire rifle. As was said earlier: "It's what makes YOU happy..." and to heck what others may think because they probably just don't understand.

My three current rimfire rifles range from an early Kimber "One of One Thousand" (unfired, NIB) to my lowly, but well-loved Marlin Model 80DL. In between those two, I have a pristine (1960s vintage) Marlin Model 39A Carbine. In addition, I also currently have two more new rimfires on their way to my house--a CZ Ultra Lux (Super BRNO 2500) and a new Browning BL-22 (Cowboy) Model with 24-inch octagonal barrel.

That still not being enough to satisfy my love for the rimfire, I am also in the early planning stages to have custom built one, or possibly two, side-by-side double rifles in rimfire caliber. If I get only the one built, it'll be in .22LR caliber. Should I opt to get the second one built, it'd likely be in .17 Hornady Magnum Rimfire. I'm currently in communication with two very experienced gunsmiths who have made such conversions on side-by-side, double shotgun frames... and they both do top-notch work. Now the quest to find just the right, small-framed .410 double shotgun(s) suitable for the conversion(s). And no, my dear wife just doesn't understand my need for "more guns," but bless her heart--she doesn't object either.

Best regards to all and HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

"akrimfire"
Old 12-29-2003, 03:41 PM
Alchemist11

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I dunno, i'm an accuracy nut. Usually you get what you pay for. That new remington rinfire looks sweet and it's around $750. Actually i've been looking at the .22 cooper. It's basically a .22 mag you can reload... from .22 RF ballistics to to .22 mag ballistics..... very versatile and accurate.
Old 12-29-2003, 07:15 PM
reddogge

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Not the arrow, it's the Indian

But sometimes the Indian needs a really nice arrow for a change.
Old 12-29-2003, 10:16 PM
Max Velocity

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
$500.00? Am I crazy?

I suppose so. A nice scope and a good trigger for a 10/22 can cost twice the $500.00 amount.
Old 12-29-2003, 11:07 PM
mutwagn

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ya know, the $500.00 mark doesn't bother me, rimfire or centerfire. As several have said, you get what ya pay for, parts you assemble, or whole guns you buy.
I bought a Anschutz lefty bolt, small action, rebarreled with Douglas barrel. When I bought it, I wondered if it was to much for me to pay. No matter how many or how few I have, I will always wonder about the price of each individual gun. I knew it was priced right though, and lefty Anschutz are not a dime a dozen. When I shot it off of a makeshift rest and sand bags the other day, 78 chevy malibu roof (you might be a redneck, if your shooting bench has 4 flat tires), and was getting one, not to large hole at 25 yards, no matter how many rounds of Match Extra went through the barrel, it was all worth it. It is not broke in, and now I want to get my range built, or at least go over to my buddies range, with the mechanical rest to see what it will do.
And no, I will not sell it back, Pinball. I may considder getting 40x rimfire later, but even then I expect I'll keep this one.
Oh yeah, I have a Shillen barreled 10/22, Ross thumbhole, and Kidd trigger, 6-24 B&L 4200, plus a few other tricks, also a couple of squirrel guns that push over the $500.00 mark easy with the scopes. You really tend not to pay that much attention to price, when it goes together a piece at a time.
One of my 10/22s is a DSP stocked, AccuLite barreled, VariXII scoped, rifle, that I love, and it would probably be the last to go, no matter what.
Are they worth it? Can I justify it? Who really cares, they are worth it to me, and that is justification enough.
Andy

Oh yeah, I tried Golf, anyone need a nice set of clubs?
Best fun is a 5 iron through pitching wedge, and smack the balls down range, then shoot them.
Old 12-30-2003, 05:58 AM
inferno715

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
i can only afford expensive guns that i can build up myself. i've got around (or over) 2k in my AR15, and a lot of the pieces i got deals on.

too broke to buy poor.
how many people buy a piece of junk fishing rod every other year? i bought st croix rods and nice reels and don't have guides falling off and reels crapping out on me. by the time they buy 2-3 of the lesser quality they could have paid for a nice one.

i just bought my first 10/22 the other day. i already ordered $200 worth of stuff..and i still need a new stock.

all my friends piss their cash away on booze. when they lose their jobs they're left with nothing. when i got laid off a year ago i had a bunch of extra guns that i sold to keep the adiction going.

to each his own..but i'd rather have a few nice things in my lifetime.

what's golf?
Old 12-30-2003, 07:01 AM
Snake45

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via AIM to Snake45
Quote:
Originally posted by inferno715
what's golf?
I always thought golf could be an interesting game if played from moving motorcyles, and your feet could not touch the ground once play had begun. Lowest time should be figured in the score, too.

"SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY!! Full-contact NITRO BURNING FUNNY GOLF!"

Bowling is actually a good game if played with .45 automatics instead of bowling balls.
Old 12-30-2003, 09:30 AM
44magnum

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Talking

Nuttin' better than bringing out the .22's at the range and have some guy tell me he doesn't have that nice of a scope on his deer rifle! Of course I tell him neither does mine---but wait! I don't own a deer rifle. I hunt with handguns and shotguns. Only rifle I own is a .22LR which I shoot from the bench only. I have always believed that you get what you pay for and to buy the best you can afford. I don't like to buy cheaper with the hope I will "tradeup" later. Never seems to work for those I know who use that method. Buy what you want, buy more and often as possible. One cannot have too many guns, especially rimfires! Besides then wife is willing to come along and shoot more often which of course helps feed the habit more! She needs her own then, right? Best of both worlds it seems.

Old 12-30-2003, 10:49 AM
JCD

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Its not hard at all to spend $500 for just accesories for a 10/22.... let alone on the entire gun. But buying another $500 gun does not get me a bipod, stock, scope, ect wich are just as vital as the gun itself lol right?. I use mine for gophers... so its a pest controll tool... not just a toy
Old 12-30-2003, 05:10 PM
VonFatman
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I guess I'm crazy about rimfire!

This month I picked up an Anschutz 64L MP R...I made a trade for it but expect buying it off the shelf with the the scope/rings/bases I got with it would have set me back $800.00
and I just got a $180.00 (retail) Swift Scope!

If you want to make little holes...I think you should expect to do it with a quality rifle and as we all know, quality is not generally inexpensive.

I've never had a problem with forking over $$ for a good gun if I've done some homework and thought through the deal.

It's when I make the mistake impulsive purchasing that I usually screw upthe worst.

VonFatman
Old 12-30-2003, 09:11 PM
Zobeid

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thumbs up and then there was the airgun. . .

My FX Tarantula cost about $850, plus another $100+ for the hand pump.

http://users.htcomp.net/tbelding/FX/tarantula.html

And it's not even a "real gun". But what a great shooter! I wouldn't trade it for anything.