22/45 accuracy - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-29-2003, 03:18 PM
Alchemist11

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
22/45 accuracy

Been reading over some recent threads on the accuracy of the 22/45. Liked the 33 oz weight, the balance, the looks, the grip shape and certainly the price. Gun tests raved about it.......... so i bought one last year. I took it out and the best accuracy was 3.25" at 25 yds with a rest; the others averaged around 4 inches. I was so disappointed i put it away until yesterday when i took it out and got the same groups. Grrrrr......... i have been reading 1.5 inch groups from some people here?!?!? Would be nice!!! Then others say 5 inches is the norm for them with a 22/45?!?!?! What have others found? I'm wanting to hunt with it but not if i get 4" groups at 25 yds from the field. Perhaps a red dot sight would help. Is it a lemon and i should dump it?
Old 12-29-2003, 10:31 PM
Skeeve
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

Lo-Cal So.Cal., where the money is plastic & the people are too!
TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Have you tried a variety of ammo? .22rf firearms are notoriously fickle.

You might try sending it back to Ruger w/ a letter of complaint, but I have the feeling that they'll tell you that 3.5" @ 25yd is expected accuracy for a pistol, off a rest.

You didn't mention your barrel length: be advised that some of those people quoting great accuracy might be using the 22/45GC model [6& 7/8" slab-sided barrel] or the 5" bull barrel, vs. your possible 4" barrel. The longer sight radius would have a pronounced effect on accuracy.

You might want to check the crown of the barrel, just in case it has a tiny burr, but usually bad crowns have BIG f/x on accuracy.

Check the sights in case they're loose & wobbling around enough to cause you some grief.

Quite frankly, I don't expect better accuracy than you're getting from any pistol; if you wanted accuracy, you shoulda bought a rifle!
Old 12-30-2003, 04:50 AM
CWatson

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have the 5" bull barrel model and I get about 3"groups at 25 yrds.My brother who shoots better with it than myself gets consistant 2"and tighter at the same distance.CW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2003, 05:32 AM
shoot em all

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have the bull barrell as well and a red dot scope. Man is it accurate and a blast to shoot. It's one of my favorites plus it looks really cool in stainless and the stainless red dot on top.
Old 12-30-2003, 10:06 AM
Alchemist11

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for your replies! Yes, it's the 5.5" barrel, and i have tried alotta different ammo Yes, i thought about redoing the crown and still may, but it seems from what you guys are saying though, that the groups i'm getting are probably reasonable. Yes, a red dot might help shrink the groups for hunting. LOL... i know, my expectations are probably too high, but really, i do have handguns that shoot 1 to 2 inch groups, even off hand, at 25 yds. So if i want 1 to 2 " groups then it's off for customizing work, new barel and such.... hmmmmm.
Old 01-01-2004, 11:06 PM
Pappy John
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
This is the best group that I ever got out of this pistol (not counting using sandbags on the bench). Cheap ammo too.

With a good rest it could be a squirrel gun, except that PA Game Commission doesn't allow semiauto hunting weapons other than shotguns.
Old 01-01-2004, 11:54 PM
CWatson

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
PappyJohn,

Like the 1911 style grips with Ruger logo. Rounded trigger guard? Did you do it yourself?

CWatson
Old 01-02-2004, 09:17 AM
Pappy John

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yeah...power tools and too much time on my hands. I originally bought this thing for cheap practice to improve my 1911 shooting, but the grip feel just wasn't there. I ground off the original grip serrations and installed a cheap set of rubber 1911 panels. Its got some trigger work done to it too. I guess the lighting isn't good enough to show the trigger overtravel stop screw. All original internals, but they've been polished up some. Oh yeah, that "euronipple" on the trigger guard....it went away, starting with a rasp, then file, increasingly fine grades of sandpaper, finished with grocery-bag paper for that smooooth finish.

Using that dot sight and a sandbag rest, most of those shots would be inside that nickle-sized white dot. Your barrel may need some attention, Alchemist, or it may just need lots more shooting to break it in, and for you to get more familiar with the trigger. I probably have 5000+ rounds through this thing.

Dot sights WILL spoil you. I don't do nearly that well with iron sights even though I still practice with them a lot.
Old 01-02-2004, 06:12 PM
NETim

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via AIM to NETim
Question

OK Pappy, just got to know, you have to leave some material there to support the sear pin don't ya? How did you attach the 1911 grip panels, adhesive?

How much can a guy grind off of the stock grip panels and still maintain structural integrity?

Expiring minds wanna know!

Thanks

Tim
Old 01-02-2004, 07:12 PM
Pappy John

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yep, I left a hump of the original grip material surrounding the sear pivot pin and made corresponding hollows in the backsides of the new grip panels. Drilled and tapped the composite material of the original grip to accept the screws holding the new grip panels in place. The answer to how much material I removed is "just enough". Basically I just removed the raised part of the original serations. I also had to make the new grip panels themselves thinner before installing to match the overall grip width dimension that I was shooting for. Matched a Kimber grip in width.
I trimmed some of the top of the panels off too so as to not get into the wider area of the pistols frame. If I were going to do it again I'd start off with the shorter style "Officers Model" grip panels and I wouldn't have to shorten them.

%%%%...I had some photos of the work in progress on my photo hosting site and just cleaned them out last month.
Old 01-03-2004, 12:40 PM
poe

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thumbs up

Pappy;
That is one impressive handgun. Simple-elegent-with the air of "I mean business!"
Old 01-03-2004, 11:03 PM
cla1653
RFC Sponsor

RFC Sponsor
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Try a new receiver barrel - getting 1" or better at 25yds two hand open sites tacticalsol.com
Check out J Taffin's opinion in GUNS magazine
Old 01-04-2004, 09:21 AM
ky_ruger

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hey Pappy John, where did you buy that red dot sight for your 22/45 pistol at?
Old 01-04-2004, 10:56 AM
Pappy John

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Midway, two years ago or there-abouts, but Tasco quit marketing these soon after. There is a new version of the same thing though whose trade name is J-Point, though I have no firsthand experience with that brand. I don't know if Midway is carrying them or not.