barrel on m21 unscrews?? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-02-2006, 06:48 PM
RimfireGimp

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
barrel on m21 unscrews??

was just cleaning the m21 and had the barrel loosen from the receiver. should i simply hand tighten, add a bit of blue loctite, or contact cooper?
tia
-gimp
Old 07-02-2006, 07:24 PM
kilowatter
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Call Cooper. A loose barrel will affect the head spacing and make the rifle unsafe to shoot.
Old 07-06-2006, 01:45 PM
RBehr

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You need to send that rifle back to me. Our address is 4004 Highway 93 North Stevensville MT 59870
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2006, 07:33 PM
RimfireGimp

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
will do. thanks. was wanting to have it fitted for a phoenix stock and have 2 other issues addressed as well. its been a bit of a problem child since i purchased it but the bugs can be easily ironed out.
Old 07-06-2006, 11:03 PM
madvalkyrie

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
The bolt on my M21 pulls right out the back all the time. At first i thought it was because of the 10 degree weather this past winter...then it happened the other day. Scratches hell out of the comb every time. Guess I'll be calling Cooper too. Let us know how it turns out.
Old 07-06-2006, 11:52 PM
esldude

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Is it just my imagination, or am I seeing more problems with Coopers?

A barrel that unscrews, how does that happen?
A bolt that pulls right out?
More reports of rifles that don't shoot having to go back.
How do they get the test targets, and still not shoot?

Maybe they are just selling more so you get more reports. But it isn't encouraging.

Cooper always seems to make it right. Which commendable. But would be better right the first time. Is demand and waiting periods making them push their production a bit too much?

Anyway, just curious if it seems that way to others.
Old 07-07-2006, 09:12 AM
DEADGOPHERS

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by esldude
Is it just my imagination, or am I seeing more problems with Coopers?

A barrel that unscrews, how does that happen?
A bolt that pulls right out?
More reports of rifles that don't shoot having to go back.
How do they get the test targets, and still not shoot?

Maybe they are just selling more so you get more reports. But it isn't encouraging.

Cooper always seems to make it right. Which commendable. But would be better right the first time. Is demand and waiting periods making them push their production a bit too much?

Anyway, just curious if it seems that way to others.
I am concerned as well! I will post as soon as "MY" Cooper comes home from Cooper. I am not happy about it but at least they are correcting the fault. At this point (4 weeks since purchased) I would have preferred to have spent extra and had a custom build (from someone else). Would I buy another Cooper.........to be continued.
I'll tell you this...A few of my shooting/hunting buddies that I have bragged to about Cooper are rolling their eyes at me.
Old 07-07-2006, 10:17 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've owned three Coopers of various vintages (2002, 2004, 2006), had nary a problem with any of them. Perhaps I'm lucky. My latest, an LVT (2006), is my favorite: superbly accurate and mechanically perfect.
Old 07-07-2006, 12:52 PM
TedW

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
There is no manufacturer of anything that is immune to occasional problems -- none! Cooper is one of the highest quality, best value for the money production rifles you can buy, period. In terms of accuracy, I'd say based on not only my experience but the experience of others I've talked to who own Coopers, they stack up against anything short of a full blown custom rifle. Aesthetically, I don't believe anything compares with them in their price range. I don't have any Cooper rimfires, but I have two M21s, and both of them have performed flawlessly -- and look great doing so. I love Cooper rifles, and after having fired tens of thousands of rounds through my 2 and my buddy's 2 rifles, I've been more satisfied with their products overall than with anything else on the market.

Having said all that, they do have a couple of weaknesses -- the bolt stop being one of them. A friend of mine has the same problem with the bolt stop failing to retain the bolt on his M21. The reason is simple -- the bolt stop is flimsy and poorly designed. The actual stop pin is pretty thin and easily broken, so you have to be careful about not opening the bolt with too much force. I believe the stop could easily be redesigned without much trouble or cost, and really should be. It is just out of place on such a premium product. Cooper, are you listening?

I personally don't find I'm hearing more reports of problems with Coopers, though. I think it may just be that since their quality standards are pretty high, when you do hear of problems, maybe you take notice more than with other brands.
Old 07-07-2006, 01:03 PM
lefty o

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
i have heard several bad reports about the bolt stops on the centerfire rifles. now when talking about rimfires, i believe your right about people taking more notice of it. its got something to do with the $$$$ value of the rifle. if you have a problem with a savage mkII, big deal its a $180 rifle. with a cooper they start at $1200 and go up steeply, they should be right the first time with very rare exception. i am a cooper owner so i'm not just flaming, or badgering them.
Old 07-07-2006, 01:32 PM
RBehr

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Guys, nothing is perfect. We build good rifles and we back them up when things go bad. The barrel is a weird problem and we will see what happened and correct it. As far as more rifles coming back, we are quite a bit ahead of the industry average. On top of that, we offer guarantees on things that other companies won't consider. Inaccurate? Send it to us and we will help. A bolt stop breaks, we'll fix it. I always try to offer morr help than someone expects from a company because that is how I would like to be treated. We are proud of what we build and we will continue to back up our products with good customer service.
Old 07-07-2006, 01:38 PM
Ben B.

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBehr
Guys, nothing is perfect. We build good rifles and we back them up when things go bad. The barrel is a weird problem and we will see what happened and correct it. As far as more rifles coming back, we are quite a bit ahead of the industry average. On top of that, we offer guarantees on things that other companies won't consider. Inaccurate? Send it to us and we will help. A bolt stop breaks, we'll fix it. I always try to offer morr help than someone expects from a company because that is how I would like to be treated. We are proud of what we build and we will continue to back up our products with good customer service.
This has been my experience with Cooper. Thanks for watching the posts and participating Rob. Lots of Cooper fans here, for many good reasons.

Ben Bock
Old 07-07-2006, 03:51 PM
dalakar

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Bravo to Mr. Behr, and all the other manufactures that take care of their products and customers.
I have my first Cooper on order now, (JSR 17hm2) and I am looking foreword to more as the $$ allow me.
Thanks again for standing behind your products.
Old 07-07-2006, 06:03 PM
Pilot

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
"We are proud of what we build and we will continue to back up our products with good customer service."

Just think about it for a minute!
It is good as a Zippo Warranty and I do not know of any $10,000 rifles can match it!
Just My Two Cents
Old 07-07-2006, 07:44 PM
RimfireGimp

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
%%%%, i didnt think my thread would turn into a cooper bash. love my m21...blasted the hell out of hundreds of ground squirrels in the last cpl months and it still held a zero even w/a barrel not properly torqued. didnt even notice a headspace problem through tell tale signs on the brass. pain in the arse as it may be to keep sending it back, i know the good folks will take care of everything. i'll just blast critters w/my other rigs. so please, be gentle with Cooper....theyre just a "little guy" who are happy to have your business and give 110% when they mundge things up. plink on!

EDIT: o, and what Tedw said about the bolt stop. the thing IS a POS and i couldnt get Rob to admit to it when i spoke w/him last. hehehehe.....small design flaw but wont give you a problem if you go easy on the bolt when extracting rounds.

Last edited by RimfireGimp; 07-07-2006 at 07:48 PM.