Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Browning 1911-22 Black Label arrived, would love to find adjustable sights

7K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  lexfres.ab 
#1 ·
I preordered one of the SHOT Show special Browning 1911-22s several months ago, and it finally arrived. I just got back from putting 200 flawless rounds through it. Zero malfunctions, acceptable trigger and decent accuracy. I shot 100 rounds each CCI Mini-Mag 36g HPs and Mini-Mag 40g RN.

This model has the much larger three dot sights like the 1911-380 instead of the tiny sights that came on the original 1911-22:

The gun shoots quite high, something I've seen mentioned elsewhere on the web. Has anyone seen aftermarket replacement sights for these, preferably adjustable? I'm also going to try different loadings to see if I can find one that shoots closer to POA.

See less See more
#5 ·
I recently purchased the Browning 1911 LR 22. I wanted something to use as a daily plinker and to teach first-timers on. I was very disappointed in the lack of replacement sights and the factory blacked-out sites wash out when engaging dark-colored points of aim. I had a crazy idea and figured I would try it, simply because the polymer front sight on my Browning 22LR is cheap to replace. I took my pistol and painted the front sight with a yellow paint marker so that I could gauge my progress. Once it was clamped in my vise and the surrounding area taped off to protect the finish from any slip-ups, I began to file down with a mini file (round) a groove in the center of the polymer front sight. it kept it slow and even made sure the small channel did not go too deep or off-center. I then snipped a small fiber optic-colored strand that I purchased from Amazon. I chose the green colored one over the red and I carefully with the help of some fine point tweezers and a drop of regular Loctite super glue, fixed the strand in place and held it down firmly for about 30 seconds. I wrapped a rubber band around it and let it sit for about an hour to cure. Later in the day I took it down to my local range and put 100+ rounds through it with no problems whatsoever. I did not need to adjust anything and the point of aim did not shift for me. This is a pretty inexpensive way of upgrading the factory sights. Most of the tools and materials you can purchase at Harbor Freight or Walmart. I've included pics of the process for those who are willing to try this procedure. It worked for me and I am very happy with the performance.

Attachments

#4 ·
I just recently pulled out my 1911-22 A1 full size after 5+ years. (I put it away because I also was disappointed with the sights.) So I replaced the rear sight with the Rear Sight for the .380 Cal., Composite, (Numrich's Product # 696690). It took about an hour of tinkering to file it down to fit in the dovetail and worked out very well. The Rear Sight for the .22 Cal. Black Label, Composite, (Numrich's Product # 696670) will likely also work very well.

FYI ... the Rear Sight for the .380 Cal., Composite, (Numrich's Product # 696690) and the Rear Sight for the .22 Cal. Black Label, Composite, (Numrich's Product # 696670) differ only in height. (The notch width is 0.140", the notch height is 0.100", and the overall width is ~0.528". I didn't measure the overall length.) The composite material is the same as the original sight for the 1911-22 A1 Classic (Numrich's Product # 696680 ) Note that the width of all three sights (.22 classic and Black Label, and .380) are the same (~0.528").

Attachments