Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Best value benchrest setup

1K views 13 replies 13 participants last post by  Bolero 
#1 ·
CZ's are breeding and it seems I'm running out of bipods...
Thinking about getting an actual benchrest setup, just bought one of those huge Caldwell front and rear bag sets, but I'm thinking about returning to academy and getting a proper setup

So what do you guys feel is the best value in benchrest setups, I don't really compete just want something serviceable and of good quality. The Christmas list grows....

Shot the ultra-lux for the first time today, in arctic conditions. I was expecting it to be quieter after all the tall tales, but I sure was grinning after shooting it!:D

#2 · (Edited)
My needs for a rest match yours. I was given this for my birthday and it works very well.

Caldwell™ Rock BR™ Bench Rest

BUNNY EAR BAGS

This set up works very well for my Brno#4 which has a squared off fore arm. I purchased another bag to try to get a better fit for the forearm on my #1, but the winter caught up with me and I haven't been shooting recently. I believe you can get the Caldwell with either of two size bags. Consider the small size if you have sporter style stocks on your rifles.

#4 ·
I think the Caldwell Rock is a good starter front rest, the Rock BR is a better front rest, but the best "deal" in front rests is a Cowan rest (but you'll have to wait 18 months to get one).

What you also want is a really good rear bag, one that is leather and has a heavy bottom. The Protektor bags are good and fairly priced. My favorite is a 14BDBB....

http://www.protektormodel.com/14BDBB.htm

And here's my "basic" setup.....

#13 ·
I think the Caldwell Rock is a good starter front rest, the Rock BR is a better front rest, but the best "deal" in front rests is a Cowan rest (but you'll have to wait 18 months to get one).

What you also want is a really good rear bag, one that is leather and has a heavy bottom. The Protektor bags are good and fairly priced. My favorite is a 14BDBB....

http://www.protektormodel.com/14BDBB.htm

And here's my "basic" setup.....

Hey TB!
I like your setup. I also use Denny's Mod 1 carry strap/sling, how do you like it? Oh yea, there appears to be a Ford 8N hiding behind a tree in your yard, I like that alot:bthumb:

#10 ·
Front Rest

I do not have that rest, I have a Rock.

I started out with it stock, I then tried sand in the front rest, went back to OEM and I am now convinced that I have more bounce than I desire.

Can anybody recommend a medium that does not bounce?

I have tried positioning the rest back as far as I can and forward as well.

Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.