Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-13-2010, 12:55 AM
.22 LongRifle

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Question Question about DIP triggers

Going to pick up a new M60 and Nikon 4x rimfire scope on Monday. I all ready know the trigger sucks. I have read posts here about the DIP triggers and wanted to know what you folks think and how much better did it make you trigger pull? .22 LongRifle
Old 09-13-2010, 07:51 AM
Old Gaffer
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by .22 LongRifle View Post
Going to pick up a new M60 and Nikon 4x rimfire scope on Monday. I all ready know the trigger sucks. I have read posts here about the DIP triggers and wanted to know what you folks think and how much better did it make you trigger pull? .22 LongRifle
From what I can tell without actually having the DIP trigger, the second biggest advantage to it is that it's already drilled for an overtravel screw and a slack take-up screw; the biggest advantage is that the DIP trigger guard is metal. I'm not sure how much difference the shape of the trigger really makes.

IMNSHO, you'll get a lot more immediate satisfaction out of polishing the hammer/sear interface, and changing the angle of the sear CAREFULLY in accordance with the instructions and directions found here in this forum.

That said, as soon as my money gets right, I'm getting the DIP unit - I've already done the rest of the trigger work.

All the best,
Rob
Old 09-13-2010, 12:54 PM
p-t-max
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I think you should wait until you get yours to find out if the trigger sucks. I own 5 Marlin semi-autos, one that I bought used. None of the triggers sucked.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2010, 02:09 PM
Rimfirechris

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have them on a 60 and 795, and am very happy. I don't know if it actualy lightens the pull that much, but they really feel much better, a crisper break, and no pre/over travel. My 795 had what felt like almost 3/8" of gritty pre-travel, and that's all gone now.
Old 09-13-2010, 03:34 PM
Eric0424

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The DIP trigger alone won't change the trigger pull a lot, but it does help and you can remove all of the pre-travel with the set screw provided. For me the sear work was the best way to reduce trigger pull if you want to give it a try. The sear and hammer can be polished to reduce pull too, but changing the angle on the sear was where I saw a significant change in pull weight.

The trigger mods posted in the sticky threads above work as well and are a little easier but I didn't have much luck with tweaking the springs. I started having light primer strikes and the disconnector would not reset consistently. So I replaced the springs I modified with new parts and started on the sear.

I wouldn't say the factory trigger on my Model 60 sucked, but it was heavy, over 7-lbs. It was smooth and had a decent break though. I just got accustomed to the sub-4lb triggers on my other rifles and handguns so I decided to work the 60 to something close to the other weapons.
Old 09-13-2010, 05:06 PM
jholtz

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric0424 View Post
The DIP trigger alone won't change the trigger pull a lot, but it does help and you can remove all of the pre-travel with the set screw provided. For me the sear work was the best way to reduce trigger pull if you want to give it a try. The sear and hammer can be polished to reduce pull too, but changing the angle on the sear was where I saw a significant change in pull weight.

The trigger mods posted in the sticky threads above work as well and are a little easier but I didn't have much luck with tweaking the springs. I started having light primer strikes and the disconnector would not reset consistently. So I replaced the springs I modified with new parts and started on the sear.

I wouldn't say the factory trigger on my Model 60 sucked, but it was heavy, over 7-lbs. It was smooth and had a decent break though. I just got accustomed to the sub-4lb triggers on my other rifles and handguns so I decided to work the 60 to something close to the other weapons.
Hi Eric,

Do you have your trigger mods posted anywhere? I'd really enjoy seeing them.

Thanks!

Jim
Old 09-13-2010, 06:03 PM
Eric0424

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jholtz View Post
Hi Eric,

Thanks!

Jim
Yea, posts number 8 and 11 in the thread linked below.
Old 09-13-2010, 06:03 PM
Eric0424

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Hi Eric,

Thanks!

Jim

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=344568
Old 09-13-2010, 06:13 PM
Craigs1001

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
I kinda bothers me that the trigger sucks before you ever get your gun. Give Marlin a chance ! To go in to this thing with a bad trigger attitude can yield nothing but bad trigger results. I have four mod 60's and not one of them has a bad trigger. I did polish one of them just for heck of it and it did make a little difference but not enought to tear into the others. I like them just the way they are.....

Give that new rifle a shooting chance why don't cha!
Old 09-13-2010, 08:37 PM
AllAlaskan

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigs1001 View Post
I kinda bothers me that the trigger sucks before you ever get your gun. Give Marlin a chance ! To go in to this thing with a bad trigger attitude can yield nothing but bad trigger results. I have four mod 60's and not one of them has a bad trigger. I did polish one of them just for heck of it and it did make a little difference but not enought to tear into the others. I like them just the way they are.....

Give that new rifle a shooting chance why don't cha!
Im not sure exactly how much pressure there is in my trigger but I do know there is a good bit of travel. The biggest thing about the marlins is the triggers but there not perfect but not bad. Yes they are not as good as some but why give up on a gun thats both accurate and reliable just because of a stupid little trigger thats not THAT bad. Not every gun is the same, you may get one thats got a pretty good trigger set up already.
Old 09-13-2010, 09:02 PM
jholtz

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric0424 View Post
Thanks Eric!

Excellent as usual.

Jim
Old 09-13-2010, 10:40 PM
cross3700

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I just bought a marlin and I wouldn't say the trigger sucks. It's just sloppy - a lot of pre-travel. I didn't notice much over-travel. After a couple/three magazines, I got used to it, but it's not ideal. If the DIP trigger assembly can get rid of that, I'd consider getting it for that reason alone.
Old 09-13-2010, 11:20 PM
Big Shrek
US Army Fire Fighter NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It'll take care of the pre-travel real fast

When combined with the DIP T/G, it's a GREAT option

If you've the old-style three-hole t/g with the egg end, trigger only is called for.
Old 09-14-2010, 11:16 AM
jholtz

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Shrek View Post
It'll take care of the pre-travel real fast

When combined with the DIP T/G, it's a GREAT option

If you've the old-style three-hole t/g with the egg end, trigger only is called for.
Hi Big Shrek,

Can you elaborate on your last sentence? When is only the trigger called for?

Thanks!

Jim
Old 09-14-2010, 11:25 AM
Eric0424

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Hi Big Shrek,

Can you elaborate on your last sentence? When is only the trigger called for?

Thanks!

Jim
If your trigger guard and stock look like the third stock in the picture below, you just need the Drop-In trigger from DIP, unless you want to buy a new stock or fit the new trigger guard to your old stock.