Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-30-2019, 03:12 PM
Henry88

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
MkIV vs Victory vs Buckmark?

I have never owned or even shot an autoloading .22 pistol.

So I went to Academy and held them all. The buckmark was the URX.

The thing is, all the grips felt small, and I consider my hands to be somewhat average, for a man.

I guess they have to make these things so that everybody can hold them, but I care about me .

I would have to order it, but I think I'm going with the Buckmark UFX due to the larger frame and availability of grips. I also like the angle (?) of the grip on the Buckmark; not too straight and not too aggressive.

BTW, I've heard nothing bad about the MkIV or Victory but I also think I just want a Browning.
Old 05-30-2019, 03:26 PM
Thestarling

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've shot all three and ended up with the Buckmark. For me it was the best fit in the hand and a good shooter. To be fair, they all shoot very well though.
Old 05-30-2019, 04:43 PM
Travis299
US Marines Veteran GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hunter

You may want to look at the BM Hunter model before you make your purchase.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2019, 06:44 PM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (29)
I presently have all three and if I'd purchased the Victory first it would be the only one, well actually two...I have two, one non-threaded and one threaded. JMO. Others will likely vary.
Old 05-30-2019, 09:14 PM
Henry88

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis299 View Post

Academy has them for $100 more than the UFX Camper, and it gives me the wood grips (though I don't know what frame they use URX/UFX) and the rail and fiber optic; all that I like, but I don't need a barrel that long. I would like to holster it and 5.5 is perfect for that.

Thanks for the suggestion and I still have time...........

Edit to add: actually the shape looks like the UFX, but I'm not sure......
Old 05-30-2019, 09:19 PM
Henry88

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd1950 View Post
I presently have all three and if I'd purchased the Victory first it would be the only one, well actually two...I have two, one non-threaded and one threaded. JMO. Others will likely vary.
I have heard nothing but good about the victory, with the exception of the size of the grips. Looking at whats available online, all the grips seem to have that same basic shape/size.

I do appreciate the suggestion and still leaving all options open.

Also, the BM seems to have so many barrels, etc. available and I like that. Maybe as time goes on so will the Victory.
Old 05-30-2019, 10:56 PM
kirby999

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Don’t know what all you plan on doing with it , but you can pick one these up pretty cheap at Buds .
I own a couple of 22/45 Mark III’s , and a couple 22/45 Mark IV’s , no Victory and I found I like the grip and balance of my Buckmark Field Target Micro the best .
The only thing I don’t like is there’s no replacement fiber optic front sights available for it .
Kirby
Old 05-31-2019, 03:39 PM
R1150r
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
There is a fiber optic replacement:
http://ewkarms.com/zen8/index.php?ma...index&cPath=71
Old 05-31-2019, 04:55 PM
Waspinator

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I did the same thing and tried out all three. I actually like all of them and it came down to nit-picking and budget/bang for buck.

I like the Victory, but being someone who probably over researches things I buy, I did not like the way the extractor was spot welded to the slide frame, instead of being a replaceable part. Is it likely going to be a problem, most likely not.. but I've had my fair share of running into Murphy over the years not to discount a possible future problem.

The Ruger is a nice pistol and I'm a Ruger fan (own a few of their revolvers), but I didn't like the 22/45.... I liked the standard versions better and that pushed it out of my price range for what was essentially a range toy/plinker. I was still considering plopping down the money.... that was until....

I came across a Buckmark field/target micro (same as Kirby's above) at another LGS. THe price was great and Browning was running tha rebate special at the time ($75 or $100 rebate, can't remember now). For the price and feel of it, I just couldn't pass on it. Fun little gun... I put a micro dot on it and its a blast to shoot. Also, I think the buckmark has by far one of the best stock triggers out of the bunch.

Really can't go wrong with any of the three choices and those are what anyone in the know will tell you to shop for when looking for a quality 22lr pistol. At the end of the day it come down to personal preference and budget.
Old 05-31-2019, 06:29 PM
kirby999

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1150r View Post
There is a fiber optic replacement:
http://ewkarms.com/zen8/index.php?ma...index&cPath=71
Thanks , Kirby
Old 05-31-2019, 06:47 PM
jac54
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I think you have the right idea about handling them. I have a victory and like it a lot. It is super accurate and I haven't had a jamb after the first 20 rounds. My only complaint is the angle of the grip. My natural grip is more straight up and down and I had adapted tell I put a red dot on it and had to adjust just to pick up the dot. I do like the 3" groups at 50yds though.
Old 05-31-2019, 07:39 PM
Ferox34
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
The Official RFC answer....

….buy all 3, keep the one[s] you like the best, sell/trade off the others.

I have 3 Rugers…..all Mark IIIs...and just picked up a Victory. Haven't had a chance yet to shoot them back to back, but the Smith is very nice, smooth, love the FO sights. I bought it used with a total of 4 magazines, Tandemkross grips and trigger for the great, I thought, price of $250 in a face-to-face private sale deal. I am a happy camper.
Old 06-01-2019, 09:25 PM
bluewave
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis299 View Post

I agree! The Browning Buckmark Hunter is the best of my .22 lr pistols which includes other Browning’s and a Ruger Mark IV. The Hunter had the best trigger, was the most accurate, and has had no failures. The Hunter needed no upgrades.

The Ruger is still having failures even after a trip back to Ruger. Ruger replaced parts, and repaired the barrel. And the trigger needed upgrading.
Old 06-01-2019, 09:43 PM
Henry88

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewave View Post
I agree! The Browning Buckmark Hunter is the best of my .22 lr pistols which includes other Browning’s and a Ruger Mark IV. The Hunter had the best trigger, was the most accurate, and has had no failures. The Hunter needed no upgrades.

The Ruger is still having failures even after a trip back to Ruger. Ruger replaced parts, and repaired the barrel. And the trigger needed upgrading.
Do you guys have holsters that work?
Old 06-05-2019, 01:46 PM
rdas
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry88 View Post
Academy has them for $100 more than the UFX Camper, and it gives me the wood grips (though I don't know what frame they use URX/UFX) and the rail and fiber optic; all that I like, but I don't need a barrel that long. I would like to holster it and 5.5 is perfect for that.

Thanks for the suggestion and I still have time...........

Edit to add: actually the shape looks like the UFX, but I'm not sure......
Yes, the Hunter has the UFX/standard grip frame. If you like that larger grip frame, but want a 5.5" barrel, then a Buckmark Field Target might be what you're looking for. Or a Buckmark Camper Plus UFX, if you don't need/like the rail.

Dave